Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Camping trip - what antenna?  (Read 3391 times)
KC9QQM

Ignore
« on: June 06, 2013, 06:12:56 AM »

I am planning a trip to camp a few days at a state park in southern Illinois and am working on what would be the best or should I say easiest antenna to do. I am thinking the answer would be a dipole but my question is height. I have (4) 5' filber glass poles I could either use to hold up the center feed point and with and do an inverted V and use some smaller PVC pipe I have to get the ends off the ground. Or I could put 2 up on each end of the dipole and guy them to the dipole will be tight between them and the center off the ground. I don;t have a sling shot or know if the camp site I will get has trees in the best position to use them. First time out doing this. Ideas? Thoughts?

Also would it be better to come up with a verticle of some sort?

Jeff
KC9QQM
KE3WD

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2013, 06:28:27 AM »

I do like wire dipoles for their portability, but I don't like lugging poles along and such poles are never as tall as the trees...

I use my fishing rod to cast a weight up and over the forks of trees, letting it call down on the other side to where I can either hang a larger weight or just tie it off.  The other end of the line is then tied to the end insulator of the dipole. 

Two good casts and the antenna is raised and able to run. 

Sometimes just ONE cast in the right tree, supporting the dipole at center insulator and the legs from an Inverted Vee. 

Higher is better.

N7SMI

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2013, 07:10:48 AM »

If you have trees, use them, otherwise I'd recommend a dipole or fan dipole in an inverted V. It's a very simple antenna to put together and your poles as a center mast and some rope to extend the ends will get you on the air nicely. Here's a photo of such an operation in the middle of nowhere in Wyoming where there wasn't a tree for miles - http://smithplanet.com/radio/7qp/7qp1.jpg
WX7G

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2013, 08:26:48 AM »

The simple yet effective approach is to use the fiberglass poles for the center support and route the ends toward the ground even if they are within inches of ground.
WB6BYU

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2013, 09:54:32 AM »

Quote from: WX7G
The simple yet effective approach is to use the fiberglass poles for the center support and route the ends toward the ground even if they are within inches of ground.

I wouldn't put the ends of the antenna within inches of the ground if you can help it.  Put
strings on the ends of the wires and tie those off to whatever is convenient to get
the ends of the antenna up at a reasonable height.

I've done a lot of QRP portable operation using wire dipoles, and have always found something
to hang it from, whether it is a tree, stick, rock, or bicycle.  OK, the time I ran the 40m dipole
down the barbed wire fence it didn't really work very well, but the 3 foot stick was good enough
to work long path from VK to W4.

But it will depend to some extent on the band you are using and what distances you want to
cover:  for 80m and 40m NVIS a low dipole can work quite well:  I've used an 80m dipole laying on
a low hedge with the highest point about 8' off the ground.  These can work well enough for
relatively local contacts, but not for DX.  On the higher bands that don't support high angle
propagation, height is more important.  But in most cases if you can put up a dipole as an
inverted vee with the center at 20' and tie the ends off so that the ends of the wires are at least
10' off the ground (and the vee angle is not too sharp) it should work well enough for casual
operation.
W1JKA

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2013, 12:51:11 PM »

As before,dipole best for all round use.If you don't use a fishing rod to get a tag line up into tree(s) just tie tag line (I use mono filament) to neck of a 12-16 oz. plastic soda bottle filled with water or soda,it will easily get up 25-30 ft.or even higher if standing on car roof for more swing room.
KC9QQM

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2013, 01:00:42 PM »

Thanks all, I'll take what all I think I might need and see what I have for choices of sites. It will be a multipurpose trip, I plan on biking, hiking, diving (scuba) and ham'ing!

Jeff
KC9QQM
KE3WD

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2013, 01:26:26 PM »

I used to ALWAYS carry my telescoping fishing rod with me on camping trips, not only for getting the antenna wire up in the air easily, it also has this particular function that can allow me to enjoy some good eatin'...

CW mode and a set of paddles, I don't have to stop eating to nail the QSO, either. 

W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2013, 01:27:52 PM »

If you have a tuner, I would simple try a random length long wire.

--------------------------------------
All posted wireless using Win 8.1 RT, a Android tablet using 4G/LTE/WiFi or Sprint Note 3.
K2CMH

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2013, 05:52:11 AM »

Do you have any opinion on the performance of a random wire versus something like a Par EndFedz?   Both options seem to be quite popular, but I have never really seen any opinions on one vs the other.
KC9QQM

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2013, 09:01:40 AM »

That would be an idea on the log wire but I don't have a tuner with that as a possible input nor do I have a 4:1 balun. Thanks,

Jeff
WB6BYU

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2013, 10:03:58 AM »

Quote from: KC9QQM

That would be an idea on the log wire but I don't have a tuner with that as a possible input...

Practically any antenna tuner can be used with a wire antenna - if it doesn't have a terminal
for a single wire then just put a banana plug on the end of the wire and and plug it into the
center pin of the SO-238 output jack.  You will need a ground connection somewhere too. 
I've also used a short (12" or so) piece of coax with a PL-259 on one end and stripped back
wires on the other end.

You do NOT need any special fitting or balun to connect a wire to an antenna tuner,
regardless of how many manufacturers might try to sell you something for that purpose.
AE5QB

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2013, 03:39:50 PM »

It doesn't sound like this is a serious DX or special event trip so it appears the ham radio is just a fun activity as part of a bigger plan.  Great!  To me that is what ham radio is about.  Easy and reliable is what you are looking for. Easy to put up, easy to take down, easy to tune, easy to use.  In my opinion, a dipole is a great antenna but doesn't meet all of the criteria stated above; especially if you are going to put up, guy, and use tent poles for supports.  They are not that easy or aesthetically pleasing once you get them up.  I guess if you are in the middle of no where, looks are not an issue.  But if you are in a major campground, the host may not care too much for it.

With all of that said, my vote is a Buddistick vertical.  Very easy to set up, looks OK, and works great.  If you don't want to spend the bucks for one, make your own.  Very easy to do.

Good luck and have fun.  Post some pictures.

N3JJT

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2013, 07:45:48 PM »

Hello Jeff!  Well, I pull the camper out about 7 times or so a year, and always set up the K1 or so.  I have a Par End Fedz 10-20-40, and have always had good success.  Also, I have a over the bed mount on my truck for Hamsticks.  Run the coax to the table.  Have also put up a dipole.  Also, used to own the Buddistik.  All of these set ups work.  You can also ground mount Hamsticks and lay out a ground radial or 2.  This is also a good set up.  The best thing to use:  Is what ever you have to try and experiment with, and how much room you have in your vehicle.  All of the set ups I have, have been collected over the past few years.  Workman make good hamsticks to take camping.  Have fun, and good luck.  If you want to email me off line, feel free to do so.  My email is on my QRZ page.

73..Scott  N3JJT
K7RBW

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2013, 08:39:42 AM »

I put a 3/8" antenna mount on the luggage rack of my car and use a vertical whip (Buddipole) for the antenna. The car is a good-enough ground plane for 10Mhz on up and it's a 5-minute setup (and take down) effort. If you're going to be camping for a while, then set up a dipole in the trees or a long, random wire. For an overnighter or rest-stop QSO, however, mounting the antenna on the car is about as easy as it gets.
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: