Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Forum RSS feed  (Read 1852 times)
DJ1YFK

Ignore
« on: June 05, 2013, 02:29:08 PM »

Hello,

I read lots of blogs and forums mainly by their RSS feeds (which are then, by means of rss2email, sent to me by email for convenient reading).

This forum offers by default a RSS feed which includes all boards, but after a little digging in the SMF documentation, I found out that it's also possible to include an option in the query to limit it to a few boards/subforums which I am interested in. Perfect.

Unfortunately, only the first 255 characters of each forum post are included in the RSS data (which is the default setting of SMF). When the newly posted text is below a quoted message, this effectively often means that nothing of the new message can be read in the RSS feed.

Would you consider to increase the length of the data in the RSS feed, maybe to the maximum possible value so that all posts are fully available? (Maybe for subscribers only; this would probably require some tweaking of the SMF code though, and I'd have to teach rss2email to send a session cookie...)

I fully understand that you may not like the idea because the more people read the forums by RSS, the less ad revenue you'll generate. But from my own experience though (running a forum which offers an Atom feed), relatively few people use these options at all.

Fabian, DJ1YFK

K5TR
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2013, 07:30:07 AM »

Would you consider to increase the length of the data in the RSS feed, maybe to the maximum possible value so that all posts are fully available? (Maybe for subscribers only; this would probably require some tweaking of the SMF code though, and I'd have to teach rss2email to send a session cookie...)

I fully understand that you may not like the idea because the more people read the forums by RSS, the less ad revenue you'll generate. But from my own experience though (running a forum which offers an Atom feed), relatively few people use these options at all.

I will look into this - we are going to update the forum software soon - so it is likely any changes will be after that update.

Thanks

George
K5TR
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: