About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: WIN 8  (Read 8159 times)
W8JX

Ignore
« on: June 08, 2013, 11:01:59 AM »

The more I use it the more I like it. Ready to leave WIN 7 and only use 8 and Vista. I can see where 8 would work really well on a tablet too. I think MS has a winner long term with it. I am sold.

--------------------------------------
All posted wireless using Win 8.1 RT, a Android tablet using 4G/LTE/WiFi or Sprint Note 3.
KG4RUL

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2013, 02:48:03 PM »

But, what software are you using with it?  Most of my favorite programs are non-functional with WIN8.
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2013, 03:58:08 PM »

But, what software are you using with it?  Most of my favorite programs are non-functional with WIN8.

Every program I have tried works fine. If it runs under Vista or 7 it runs under 8. Win 8 (like Vista and 7) will not run 16 bit programs or poorly written 32 bit programs. Old XP tolerates sloppy code. But rather than sticking to a old OS that tolerates sloppy code you need to move forward and use programs with proper code.

All posted wireless using Win 8.1 RT, a Android tablet using 4G/LTE/WiFi or Sprint Note 3.
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2013, 08:23:24 PM »

I also really like online app selection that comes with Win 8 too. Very painless and quick. WIN 8 is a change of direction of sorts and the operating system is more interactive, adaptive and now transparent across PC, Tablet and Phone platforms. Win 7 and versions before it all basically worked the same way with start menu and all and were not tablet or smart phone friendly. I cannot wait to see what Win 9 brings to table in a year or two.  It is funny because I was very against 8 at first and its changes but after using them I kinda now dislike using WIN 7 platforms. It is like a step backwards.

KF6QEX

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2013, 11:50:38 PM »

It is like a step backwards.
Yes, when Microsoft runs out of lightbulbs,  darkness becomes the new standard.

move forward and use programs with proper code.
Ha ha ha, if a new version of the OS fails to run an application, it's the OS that is defective since it's primary purpose and only reason for existence is to ...run applications. DUH!

Well, answer the question already!

I think MS has a winner long term with it. I am sold.
Until windows 10 changes everything around again.......or changes it back.

Ready to leave WIN 7 and only use 8 and Vista
Huh? I can't imagine what you would have against W7 that makes Vista deserving the same love and effection you have for windows 8.

I guess we'll have to wait for your honeymoon with w8 to be over. If you are running an OEM preinstalled version, it won't be a long wait.
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2013, 05:39:23 AM »

It is like a step backwards.
Yes, when Microsoft runs out of lightbulbs,  darkness becomes the new standard.

It is darkness only to those that wish to stay in darkness and cling to old OS and concepts.

move forward and use programs with proper code.
Ha ha ha, if a new version of the OS fails to run an application, it's the OS that is defective since it's primary purpose and only reason for existence is to ...run applications. DUH!

Properly written applications Because of Windows roots as starting life as a DOS shell. Many window apps where written in 16bit windows codes. When 2000 came out and later XP it was
first MS mainstream codes to support plug and play and be built on a 32 bit OS. It also included support for legacy 16 bit windows apps. When Vista and true 64 bit OS support arrived MS dropped 16 bit WIN code support and provided either 32 bit (Vista 32bit) or 32/64bit (Vista 64 bit) program support. (on 64 bit version there is actually a built in compiler that allow 32 bit code to operate on 64 bit OS) Win7 and 8 are same way. The only compatibility problem with 8 is that MS made WINDOWS RT which was designed to run on a ARM processor in a tablet and smartphone due to lack of x86 processors with low power usage. WIN RT will not run Windows legacy apps. Now with the increasing availability of new low power x86 CPU's from Intel they are shipping tablets and smart phone with Win8 pro in 32 nd 64 bit flavors. They will run legacy apps true 32 and 64 bit apps.

Well, answer the question already!

What apps and what version of 8?

I think MS has a winner long term with it. I am sold.
Until windows 10 changes everything around again.......or changes it back.

PC is evolving and smart phone and tablets are being used in record numbers and if Windows does not evolve with this, its days are numbered

Ready to leave WIN 7 and only use 8 and Vista
Huh? I can't imagine what you would have against W7 that makes Vista deserving the same love and effection you have for windows 8.

I like 64bit Vista over 7 because it has a cleaner interface and easier to access some feature to tweek things that are buried deeper in 7. I never had any problems with Vista 32 or 64 bit nor ever had to reload it. But then I always used proper hardware and enough ram too (minimum 2 gig Vista 32 bit and 6 gig Vista 64 bit) Also MS has tweaked code and 64 bit 8 will run well on 2 gig and great on 4 gig.

I guess we'll have to wait for your honeymoon with w8 to be over. If you are running an OEM preinstalled version, it won't be a long wait.

Not gonna happen. Never had to reload Vista or 7 (or even XP) in past and why now?  Getting ready to upgrade new Win7 system to 8. One reason I am not upgrading Vista machines to 8 is that it is not a direct upgrade (apps have to be reloaded) while with 7 it is a direct upgrade.

KF7DS

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2013, 09:10:59 PM »

I have been running Win 8 Pro on both my desktop and Surface Pro. No problemsi with the programs I use. If it runs under Win 7 it will run under Win 8

It is very stable and behaves well.

Don KF7DS
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2013, 11:09:00 AM »

I have been running Win 8 Pro on both my desktop and Surface Pro. No problemsi with the programs I use. If it runs under Win 7 it will run under Win 8

Don KF7DS

What "muddied" the Win8 water was that MS has 2 versions of Win8. The Win8 RT version for the first tablets use a version than only runs on the ARM processor (which other tablets and phones for Apple and Andriod use) which is also a RISC CPU (Reduced Instruction Set CPU) so it can not run x86 software or programs. The x86 is a CISC chip (Complex Instruction Set CPU) and natively supports far more instructions and functions That a RISC cannot. The Surface Pro (like Win8 for desktop) uses a x86 CPU and therefore runs all old native 32 bit windows apps that ran under Vista and 7.

KF7DS

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2013, 08:49:25 PM »

Don KF7DS

What "muddied" the Win8 water was that MS has 2 versions of Win8. The Win8 RT version for the first tablets use a version than only runs on the ARM processor (which other tablets and phones for Apple and Andriod use) which is also a RISC CPU (Reduced Instruction Set CPU) so it can not run x86 software or programs. The x86 is a CISC chip (Complex Instruction Set CPU) and natively supports far more instructions and functions That a RISC cannot. The Surface Pro (like Win8 for desktop) uses a x86 CPU and therefore runs all old native 32 bit windows apps that ran under Vista and 7.

And what has really constrained things, in addition to the confusion RT engendered, is the underwhelming performance of the Atom chips that are so pervasive in the first generation of Win 8 tablet/slate pc's.

The Surface Pro shows what can be, and should be realized with the 4th Gen Core/Haswell processors.....Win 8 will take off to the surprise of many.

Don KF7DS
W8LGZ

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2013, 09:48:46 PM »

".....Win 8 will take off to the surprise of many."

Two words...Doubt it.

Jim
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2013, 10:10:20 PM »

And what has really constrained things, in addition to the confusion RT engendered, is the underwhelming performance of the Atom chips that are so pervasive in the first generation of Win 8 tablet/slate pc's.

Actually I have used a few Win8 tablets powered by the newer Atom Z2760 and it does a surprisingly good job.  

The Surface Pro shows what can be, and should be realized with the 4th Gen Core/Haswell processors.....Win 8 will take off to the surprise of many.
Don KF7DS

The future of WIN8 tablet I believe rests on the upcoming Silvermount Atom and not Haswell CPU. Reason is power consumption. As good as Haswell will be, Silvermount will be far better on power lending it to WIN8 tablet and smart phones. ALso for first time the silvermount Atom will have a out of order instruction unit that will boost it performance 3x at same clock speeds. Next it will be offered in 4 core versions that will average less than 1 watt in power consumption. Haswell I core cannot remotely come close to that. Also the magic of extended battery life with Haswell is added low power and sleep states not big reductions in power when loaded. Atom was built to be low power under load.

I do believe that MS will finally gain a lot of ground in tablet market. What held them back was a viable tablet OS (that they now have) and a viable low power x86 CPU (which are starting to come on line) The potential of the OS far exceeds anything out there for tablet once hardware matures for it. WIN RT was a mistake because the ARM is a inferior CPU vs the x86 and it only advantage was power usage but Intel has solved that and upcoming low power x86 CPU will easily overpower that fastest ARM CPU's out there or currently on the board. Intel is focusing a lot of resources now on that market.    
« Last Edit: June 13, 2013, 10:13:00 PM by W8JX » Logged

WB4TGT

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2013, 12:10:57 PM »

ok my big question is,i was on dial up for years and run echolink on both w7 and vista and xp and millenium. noe i have  verizon g4 hot spot. the prog comes up and i see all the guys on.  but  i dont know how to make connections . windows 8 im using wont connect
 any ideas greatly appricate

earlscrubbs@msn.com

remember no modom just a hot spot from verzion
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2013, 03:51:41 PM »

ok my big question is,i was on dial up for years and run echolink on both w7 and vista and xp and millenium. noe i have  verizon g4 hot spot. the prog comes up and i see all the guys on.  but  i dont know how to make connections . windows 8 im using wont connect
 any ideas greatly appricate

earlscrubbs@msn.com

remember no modom just a hot spot from verzion

Well the hotspot would be a WiFi connection for computer/laptop and once setup, echolink software should see connection when it is active.

KU7PDX

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2013, 02:11:28 PM »

I've been running Windows 8 for about 6 months now without any issues, software compatibility or otherwise.

Chris - KU7PDX
WB4TGT

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2013, 07:23:54 AM »

echo link comes up as good as usual as it did on dial up. but with version g4 hot spot it says I need to put numbers in. like 5200 5100 . I don't know where to go put these numbers in at. im using windows 8 computer
any one know what to do  or if you using echo link on g4hotspot how did you get it set up on w8
thanks
earlscrubbs@msn.com
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: