Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hiding Place for Tuner  (Read 11252 times)
W8VLG

Ignore
« on: June 08, 2013, 04:46:00 PM »

I am preparing to install a 5BTV and cover it with a PVC pipe for a flag pole.  Just about have ir figured out, by covering the bottom with a 5in square PVC.  Now comes the problem of hiding a MFJ 994BTV tuner and the current choke...... Thought I'd get a landscape irrigation box 10x14, seal up the bottom and place them in the irrigation box, with the coax coming from the shack and going to the antenna connection point underground to the box.  That opening would be sealed with coax seal.  The box will be about a foot from the bottom of the antenna.  Any comments as to why that should not work?  I have seen people make wooden wheel barrows (decorative) and place them in that too,  My carpentry skills are not as good as my whole digging skills.....  73
Ray
W8VLG
WB0KSL

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2013, 06:46:18 PM »

You might consider an above ground level box which could enclose the tuner, etc. (not sure why you'll need the tuner with the 5btv) and mount the spot light for the flag illumination on the box top.  Easy to explain the box to curious people that way, flag must be lighted at night!

73 de John, WB0KSL
W2RWJ

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2013, 06:58:16 PM »

I am preparing to install a 5BTV and cover it with a PVC pipe for a flag pole.  Just about have ir figured out, by covering the bottom with a 5in square PVC.  Now comes the problem of hiding a MFJ 994BTV tuner and the current choke....

Ray,
Should work fine - Another option is a Quazite Box.   Very heavy duty and designed exactly for this.   Search "Quazite Boxes" on eBay for pictures.

73 Martin Flynn
KG4RUL

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2013, 08:43:50 PM »

Look for plastic boulders at your landscape material supplier.
WX7G

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2013, 05:40:46 AM »

And don't forget to remove the decorative but non-functional 5BTV "spider."
W1AJO

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2013, 08:47:10 AM »

I am preparing to install a 5BTV and cover it with a PVC pipe for a flag pole.  Just about have ir figured out, by covering the bottom with a 5in square PVC.  Now comes the problem of hiding a MFJ 994BTV tuner and the current choke....

Ray,
Should work fine - Another option is a Quazite Box.   Very heavy duty and designed exactly for this.   Search "Quazite Boxes" on eBay for pictures.

73 Martin Flynn

Quazite boxes are a bit pricey.  I'd use a surplus ammo can that will hold the tumnner 9 ¼" x 3" x 14 ¼".  You would have to drill & seal holes to pass the coax cable through.  Good luck!
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2013, 03:12:39 PM »

You could also look for a simple 1/2 barrel at your landscape store/home center.  $15 to $20.  Cut a piece of plywood to fit inside, put the tuner in the bottom with a suitable weathershield, put some fake greenery (pine, green year round) mounted to the fake top, and park it right beside the flagpole.  Takes a bit more work, but people usually put something like that near trees--or a flagpole.  73!
K5LXP

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2013, 06:25:28 AM »

You can't get past the question WB0KSL brought up.  Why would you be using a tuner with a *BTV vertical?  Or put as a statement, you shouldn't be using a tuner with this antenna at all.

Mark K5LXP
Albuquerque, NM
W8VLG

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2013, 09:18:02 AM »

Are you saying this antenna is flat on all bands, with no tuner required?  I haven't ran  across that in any of my research.  Always reported a good match, but haven't seen there is not room for improvement.  I'd just as not have to mess with a tuner, makes things easier.  I have decided to use 4 BTV and add the 80m add-on coil due to the diameter of the 5BTV 80m coil versus the add on.  I guess fitting the regular 80m coil in PVC for flag pole is not possible but diameter of the 80m add-on cable will fit the PVC.
I went to Lowes for the support pole today and if it doesn't rain will put the post hole digger to work this afternoon.  Thanks fort all of the help.....
WX7G

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2013, 11:26:13 AM »

The 5BTV will cover about 50 kHz of 80/75 meters and all of 40, 20, 15, and 10 meters. The tuner will be nice to extend the 80 meter bandwidth, to avoid going through the antenna length adjustments, and to work 30, 17, and 12 meters.

The standard RM-80 resonator works just fine and the non-functional spider can be removed to fit the antenna in PVC. The antenna can be beefed up by slipping a 6' length of 1.375" aluminum tubing over the bottom tube. DX Engineering stocks this. The wind survival will be reduced with a PVC pipe covering it; the PVC offers no strength yet increases the surface area. DX Engineering stocks fiberglass tubing that could be used instead.
WB4TJH

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2013, 05:30:06 PM »

I have a ground mounted 5BTV with the high power 75 meter resonator and with a thousand feet of radials under it, and I must tell you will be very disappointed with it on 75 meters. It's just not very efficient on that band. Mine works pretty well on the other bands, tho, and no tuner. But I just put up a Versa Tenna, a 52 and 1/2 foot end fed wire that works all bands with a tuner and it is running rings around my 5btv. It's an 18 guage pvc coated wire and a small end fed transformer that would be very easy to hide and with the thin wire almost impossible to see in the air. The antenna works 80 thru 10 meters, and will take 200 watts SSB, 100 watts CW. You ought to check it out. I will use the Versa Tenna portable, but there is no reason why it could not be a permanent antenna. 80 Bucks, Check it out. Ithink it's a lot less hassle than trying to hide a vertical and ground radials, and it works better than the Hustler vertical.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2013, 06:09:45 PM by WB4TJH » Logged
WB4TJH

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2013, 07:03:32 PM »

The Versa Tenna is also marginal on 75, but it does works better on that band than does my 5BTV. But on 40 and up, it works very well, and above 40 runs circles around the vertical. When I compare my Hustler vertical on 75 to a full sized dipole up 45 feet, the vertical is about 3 to 6 S units below it. It's basically a dummy load on a stick on that band.
W0FM

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2013, 11:31:47 AM »

I've owned a number of 4, 5 and 6BTVs.  Most of which were disguised as a flag pole.  I removed the spider as discussed and never used an external tuner.  Those things are well designed and pretty broad-banded.  I only had issues with 75M.  But all the "touching up" that it ever needed was easily handled by the tuner inside my rig (TS-850, FT1000MP, K3/100).

I used an upside-down white plastic waste basket to cover the mounting hardware at the base.  Just cut a hole in the bottom of the waste basket and slide it down over your "flagpole".  Spray painted the plastic waste can to look like concrete.

Piece of cake.

Terry, WØFM
W8VLG

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2013, 06:43:42 PM »

Thanks for all of the good feedback, I decided against a tuner, however the antenna came today and I have to go back to the drawing boards on the PVC.  Upon advice and validated by DXE I bought the 80m coil add-on rather than get the 5BTV.  Seems the coil is smaller diameter.  Well, I'm not sure how much smaller as it doesn't like the PVC I bought at all.  I guess my fallback, which won't make me happy, is to settle for 40m.  Pole is in the ground and tomorrow, barring rain, is radial day..Thanks again to all.   73
Ray W8VLG
VE3FMC

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2013, 05:01:16 AM »

Are you saying this antenna is flat on all bands, with no tuner required?  I haven't ran  across that in any of my research.  Always reported a good match, but haven't seen there is not room for improvement.  I'd just as not have to mess with a tuner, makes things easier.  I have decided to use 4 BTV and add the 80m add-on coil due to the diameter of the 5BTV 80m coil versus the add on.  I guess fitting the regular 80m coil in PVC for flag pole is not possible but diameter of the 80m add-on cable will fit the PVC.
I went to Lowes for the support pole today and if it doesn't rain will put the post hole digger to work this afternoon.  Thanks fort all of the help.....

IMO unless you are going to have a very long run of coax I would not bother with the tuner at the base of the antenna. There will not be a lot of line loss on a shorter run of coax to worry about. Use coax rated for burial use and all will be fine.

You can then put the tuner in the shack, or use the internal tuner on the radio if it has one.

As stated the bandwidth will be very narrow on 80 meters. So decide where you want to operate on that band and tune the antenna accordingly. Same for the other bands.

Good luck.
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: