The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ts-120s  (Read 1088 times)
KI4SIS

Ignore
« on: February 23, 2007, 07:10:14 AM »

I have a TS-120S and have no digital display, just two dots on the bottom.  Would you have any idea what is causing this.  I found if I short two pins in the external vfo connector the display lights up but the alc meter is way over to the right and only adjusts back a little bit.  I also need a schematic (a clear one) to work with.  The one I have is terrible (pdf).
Thanks
KI4SIS
AG4RQ

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2007, 10:14:20 AM »

I don't know if what I have is the same as you have or better, but some time ago I downloaded 9 pcx files which are all schematics for the TS-120S. I made a pdf file out of them and the file size is 2.33 MB. If you like, I can zip it and send it to you as an e-mail attachment. If you want me to send it to you, send me an e-mail. I don't have your e-mail address, but mine is in my eHam profile.

73 de Mark
AG4RQ
AG4RQ

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2007, 10:14:20 AM »

I don't know if what I have is the same as you have or better, but some time ago I downloaded 9 pcx files which are all schematics for the TS-120S. I made a pdf file out of them and the file size is 2.33 MB. If you like, I can zip it and send it to you as an e-mail attachment. If you want me to send it to you, send me an e-mail. I don't have your e-mail address, but mine is in my eHam profile.

73 de Mark
AG4RQ
AG4RQ

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2007, 11:20:11 AM »

You can also download a pdf file of the TS-120S Owner's Manual from Kenwood at:

http://ftp://inform.kenwoodusa.com/Manuals/TS-120.pdf

The file size is 27.4 MB.

73 de Mark
AG4RQ
WG7X

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2007, 02:25:00 PM »

Check to see if the FIX/VFO switch is in the "FIX" position.

In the fixed position, it uses two crystals for transmit/receive.

If there are no crystals in the rig, the result is the two dots.

Hope that's it.

73 Gary WG7X
KA5IWO

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2007, 08:44:31 PM »

Check the VFO / Fix switch, if dirty this can cause this problem, also check the output of the carrier board, if it is low the display will not come up.
Does it try to come up on any band at all and with the vfo tuned to 0 or 500 for each band checked?? The rig may need just a touch up on alignment.
KI4SIS

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2007, 07:15:59 PM »

It's fixed.  The output of the car board was low and I adjusted the coil cw and the display came on and everything is working great.  I want to thank everyone who gave me suggestions and especially ag4rq1 for the great schematics and ka5iwo for the heads up on the car board.  Alls fine here in Roanoke and as soon as I adjust my antenna a little better  I'll be holloring to everyone.  Just upgraded to General today.  Will be going for extra in a few weeks.  Feeling great.  You guys are great and thanks again.

Bob Rice USN/RET KI4SIS/AG
KA5IWO

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2007, 07:53:50 PM »

Glad the carrier board adjustment did the trick, I have seen this in many 120 / 130 rigs I have repaired. Transistor Q3 on the carrier board has been found bad on several rigs. Let me know if you have any more problems.
ZS6AJH

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2013, 06:39:50 PM »

Hi, I have a TS-120S which I recently unpacked after being in storage for 13 years! It worked perfectly before I packed it and now the freq display shows two dots on the 21MHz and higher freq bands. I have worked the switches on the front and turned the VFO dial back and forth several times. I have noticed on the 21MHz band setting if I tune up from 21.000 to above around 21.125 then the Rx opens up and the display works. But this never on the higher freq bands.

Lower bands are fine and everything else appears to work.

Any guidance on what else I can try?

John
ZS6AJH
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: