Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Is my station being tapped?  (Read 8954 times)
W1JKA

Ignore
« on: June 12, 2013, 07:28:19 AM »

Latest news indicates there may be a small breach in the privacy of our use of cell phones and computers by certain special interest groups. So far I have heard no mention of info gathering from on air amateur radio stations.Apparently the hi-tech info gathering budget doesn't include funding for lo-tech RF info.I guess if you want secure/private communications today a mobile pirate station is the way to go.Speaking in tongues of course.
K2GWK

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2013, 07:40:11 AM »

What does it matter. Our conversations on the air are a matter of public record.

Guy
Lawn Guyland, New York

K2GWK Website
W1JKA

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2013, 07:47:49 AM »

True,but who is monitoring and sifting?
N3QE

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2013, 07:51:05 AM »

Ham communications has always been available for monitoring by any/all governments - a very explicit agreement between amateurs and government, with broad restrictions/shutdowns in wartime. Also self-monitored by amateur societies as well (e.g. "OO postcards"). And, well, pretty much anybody with a radio.

Some of us would like it, if FCC did more pro-active monitoring and enforcement, rather than less. ARRL certainly plugs their spectrum defense fund, to fill in many places where the FCC is not stepping up to the plate on their own.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2013, 07:57:51 AM by N3QE » Logged
N3QE

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2013, 07:56:43 AM »

See, this is the sore point. The government agencies and contractors/employees (outside FCC which unfortunately doesn't do much anymore) that do the monitoring, cannot tell us that they are monitoring without breaking the law and/or violating the super-secret court orders. Government officials sometimes have to lie (or at least not reveal) to congress, because if they revealed anything they would be violating the super-secret court orders. What a tangled web. e.g. Clapper is in a true Catch-22.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2013, 08:00:00 AM by N3QE » Logged
NK7Z

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2013, 08:02:14 AM »

Nothing to worry about here...  There is no one monitoring or sifting any ham radio traffic anywhere...  Honest, I promise...  Really...  Nothing to worry about...  Move along, this isn't the traffic you are looking for...

Thanks,
Dave
For reviews and setups see: http://www.nk7z.net
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2013, 08:07:09 AM »

With all due respects, if you've got something to hide, you don't want to freely transmit it--unless it was encrypted.  And that is something that is specifically prohibited in amateur radio.
KD0REQ

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2013, 08:16:57 AM »

I'm more worried about Worked All FCC than Worked All NSA, myself.

now, when a guy calls at 3 AM saying, "we know where you live.  when we have room, we will send for you," then it's time to worry.
M6GOM

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2013, 08:42:31 AM »

Being from the UK I'd be happy to get a QSL card from the NSA.  Grin

K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2013, 09:33:55 AM »

GOM:  I've received 2 QSL cards from the FCC during my ham career..... I really don't think getting one from NSA (No Such Agency) would be any more enjoyable.  Actually, the hand delivered "QSL" will be from the FBI, not NSA. 

Actually, on a serious note, this kind of operation has been going on since WWI.  Not to worry.

W1JKA

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2013, 01:28:53 PM »

Not worried,just curious as to how much effort was devoted to tracking coded traffic on the ham or short wave bands,maybe that will leak out in tomorrows news.I'm all set,very mobile with qrp gear and a tin foil liner in my baseball hat.
W0BTU

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2013, 01:50:34 PM »

... Some of us would like it, if FCC did more pro-active monitoring and enforcement, rather than less. ...

Bingo! I've heard enough talk on HF the past few years to know that "Some" above could safely be replaced with "A whole lot of us". I, for one, would be delighted if the FCC monitored 75 meters (for example) like they used to 30 years ago and fined the daylights out of the drunk, filthy-mouthed ilk that live there.

At any rate, I wouldn't care if the FCC, NSA, CIA, etc. recorded every single word I ever said (or will say) on the radio. I have nothing to hide.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2013, 01:54:42 PM by W0BTU » Logged

NK7Z

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2013, 03:24:42 PM »

Not worried,just curious as to how much effort was devoted to tracking coded traffic on the ham or short wave bands,maybe that will leak out in tomorrows news.I'm all set,very mobile with qrp gear and a tin foil liner in my baseball hat.
If you look carefully at this site:
http://zapatopi.net/afdb/
You will find a PDF file for construction of a foil hat...  Also there is a rousing discussion on which side to have pointing towards your head, the shiny side, or the dull side...

Not kidding,  this is one of the best joke sites I have ever seen on the net...

Thanks,
Dave
W1JKA

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2013, 04:15:15 PM »

Re:NK7Z

Thanks for the site and resulting revelant info,now I know why my cap has not been functioning properly,for one thing I was using the cheap WallMart brand foil instead of genuine Reynolds aluminum foil.
NK7Z

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2013, 06:29:43 PM »

Re:NK7Z

Thanks for the site and resulting revelant info,now I know why my cap has not been functioning properly,for one thing I was using the cheap WallMart brand foil instead of genuine Reynolds aluminum foil.
Isn't that site a hoot!  Wink

Thanks,
Dave
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: