Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 4 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Is my station being tapped?  (Read 8515 times)
N4JTE

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2013, 08:00:58 PM »

It's pretty obvious, nobody gives a crap about what is said on ham radio including the FCC.
bob
ONAIR

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2013, 12:55:50 AM »

I recently heard some hams discussing this very subject over the air!  One said that all electromagnetic transmissions are now monitored and recorded via satellites.  The point of origin for the signals are also logged.  Wonder if we'll ever hear about this?
W1JKA

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2013, 02:38:27 AM »

Re:ONAIR

Probably not,as of this morning news we hams have not been exposed by Eddie Snowden or the Wicky Leeks guy,I believe they are holding back this info as a future bargaining chip against possible future legal action by the suits.
WX7G

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2013, 08:03:40 AM »

The CW portions of the HF bands are already monitored and copied electronically by amateur reverse beacon receivers. A list of call signs is available for lookup on the web. Look to the left of this screen at the DX Cluster Spots and you will see automatic postings.

It would be a simple matter for an entity to receive and record all of every HF amateur band, CW, data, and SSB, and using voice recognition software and CW/DATA decoding software, and monitor it in real time.

I suppose this is being done so that the amateur radio bands (and all frequencies in between) cannot be used as a way around telephone and internet data monitoring. I don't think this comes under the FISA laws.

« Last Edit: June 13, 2013, 08:06:43 AM by WX7G » Logged
KD0REQ

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2013, 08:41:31 AM »

I suspect it comes down to watching where the bad guys are probably doing business.  the stuff that news agencies (AP broke a training center and the SA7 missle documents in Mali, for instance, by walking through the site after it was raided and picking loose stuff up) have gotten doesn't indicate a strong interest in ham radio by the present bogeymen.  SIGINT does require resources, and there's a lot of air to filter through.

fact:  intelligence types always say they don't have enough data.

fact:  it doesn't change.  oh, they could do more, but they can't get all the way through what they have as raw data anyway.  that's why NSA DIA M-O-U-S-E has been so gung-ho for advanced computing, sifting chaff.

until they start catching Wacko bin Loonies putting up 80-foot towers with 4 element freebander beams, which kind of pins down their position, I don't think it will change much.  family-band or Wouxons, maybe.
W1JKA

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2013, 10:51:04 AM »

Re:KD0REQ

FRS(family radio)? Now there's an interesting thought,attach a small portable Yagi antenna with

amplifier and use rapper or Navajo code talk.
SWMAN

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: June 13, 2013, 12:47:28 PM »

Who really cares if the government is listening or not, there is nothing in the world you can do about it even if they were. They will never tell you weather they are or they are not doing it. So dont worry about it. I could care less if they listened to me all day long. They just need to get a life.
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: June 13, 2013, 02:01:56 PM »

If you use the ham bands for what they're supposed to be used for, two things.  First, there's nothing you can do about it since there is no law against listening for anybody, and two, there's nothing you need to hide anyway.  Phone calls?  There are and have been phone patches for years.  No law against them--or using the ham bands with a tie-in to the phone.
K1DA

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: June 13, 2013, 02:15:35 PM »

CW Skimmer, which is the tip of a very large technology iceberg,  is available for AMATEURS, just think what the "Pros from Dover" have at hand.
NK7Z

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: June 13, 2013, 06:25:58 PM »

If you use the ham bands for what they're supposed to be used for, two things.  First, there's nothing you can do about it since there is no law against listening for anybody, and two, there's nothing you need to hide anyway.  Phone calls?  There are and have been phone patches for years.  No law against them--or using the ham bands with a tie-in to the phone.
Absolutely correct sir!

Thanks,
Dave
For reviews and setups see: http://www.nk7z.net
K2OWK

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: June 13, 2013, 11:31:19 PM »

You are being tapped and listened to by every person, government agency and anyone with a short wave receiver in the world (and possibly outside the world) capable of receiving the frequency you are transmitting on. Ham radio is open to anyone who wants to listen in. If it were different who would we talk to, so if you monitor me please give me a shout and we will talk.

73s

K2OWK
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: June 14, 2013, 09:13:37 AM »

Guess how many times I've heard someone say, "I heard you on the scanner this evening" or "We listen to you on the scanner."
KE3WD

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: June 14, 2013, 01:31:15 PM »

ALL YOUR QSO ARE BELONG TO US
W1JKA

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: June 14, 2013, 01:47:16 PM »

I'm going to build a trap antenna and see if I can catch those 5 letter code burst group boys up on 14.073 myself.
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: June 14, 2013, 04:41:58 PM »

We thought it was long delayed echos when in actuality it was NSA dumping the stuff they collected 30 years ago  Cheesy
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 4 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: