Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ten Tec Owners/Users: Which would you rate better Omni 7 or Orion  (Read 1403 times)
W9BKR

Ignore
« on: June 13, 2013, 08:38:53 AM »

Was curious as to some actual owners, users familiar with TT gear as to which you might feel is better, the Omni 7 or Orion 1?  I know the specs, spec out the Orion above the Omni 7 in close in performance, but aside from that as we don't live in constant contest environments.

Appreciate reading some comments.
N9AOP

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2013, 08:17:18 PM »

I owned an Omni VII and traded it for an Orion2.  It transmits the same but the RX is a whole lot better.  If you add the second ham band only receiver, you will have quite a nice setup.  The Omni was a good performer but you will have to decide on whether the additional 2K or so for the Orion fits your style.  If you get the Orion you are gonna like it.
Art
AF5CC

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2013, 08:25:27 PM »

Never used either, but I would bet the Omni VII performs better on 6 meters Smiley

John AF5CC
W9BKR

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2013, 05:35:15 AM »

Orion doesn't have 6 meters.
AF5CC

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2013, 09:38:12 AM »

My point exactly!
W9BKR

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2013, 06:38:44 PM »

Any TT users out there familiar with the Omni 7 and Orion who can tell me other than the obvious, how each performs as compared to each other, functionality, weak signal work, etc.  Appreciate actual user feedback.  Thanks!
N6AJR

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2013, 12:12:51 PM »

I have the Orion and it is a much better radio, with many more adjustments  to make it exactly what you need, and the second VFO is a boon.  I use a ten tec 6 meter converter for mine when working 6 m stuff.  the  VII is a good basic  all around radio . I wlould call the VII a good radio for most hams, and either of the Orion's as much better, contest grade rig, for  very active hams. so fro me, ( I have had probably 30 or 40 hf rigs over the last 15 years) I keep the Orion as my only HF radio, and a ts 2000 for uhf/vhf stuff.
W9BKR

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2013, 05:48:34 PM »

Thanks for the candid feedback as a real user.  I kinda have come to that conclusion as I haven't heard from many ops out there.  The Orion seems to have the better rcvr (of course, I don't contest 24/7, etc., but sure it helps).  THe Omni 7 seems like middle ground and the scope being a snap shot seems a bit ridiculous to me, much like the Jupiter.

What transverter/converter are you running?  I didn't notice on on TT's website.
N6AJR

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2013, 11:19:16 AM »

tranverter is a TT 1208 I got used on ebay. it works well, and you have all the controls of the orion on 6 m. although it only puts out 5 watts but I run it through a 6 m brick amp for a couple hundred watts output.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: