Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hams not using call signs to identify themselves  (Read 27210 times)
WX7G

Ignore
« on: June 14, 2013, 04:21:35 AM »

Being a ham community it would be great if licensed hams were required to use their real call signs in all eham. net posts.
W1JKA

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2013, 07:36:17 AM »

Or at least their SSN so we could cross reference Wink
AC4RD

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2013, 09:19:48 AM »

Requiring a callsign will keep out the people who aren't licensed yet.  How about if we require a thumbprint and retinal scan on every post?
W4KVW

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2013, 11:37:16 AM »

A DNA sample so it would help Big Brother keep their data base up to date with all of our SECRET conversations here. {:>)   Grin   Wink

Clayton
W4KVW
AC5UP

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2013, 07:11:08 PM »

I say that if you don't have a call sign you shouldn't be able to use the innerweb.

Sure, one has almost nothing to do with the other, but what's the point in having a call if you can't lord it over those who don't?

<sheesh!>

Never change a password on a Friday                
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2013, 05:40:51 AM »

This has come up time and again on this board.  I too favor requiring the use of callsigns, but as was said, how about the person who doesn't have one but wants to find out about the hobby and wants to ask questions?

My one gripe (that has been somewhat taken care of recently) are the people who refuse to use their callsigns (they do have them--or so they claim) and just come here to stir up trouble, cause arguments, and other things--just to get their ha-has.  Even that, though, has almost stopped, and the few that still do that are taken care of by the administrators of the site.

As a side mote--lately there seem to be more people stirring the pot who DO have callsigns!
K5TR
Administrator

« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2013, 03:05:02 PM »

If I see that someone has a call sign - esp ones that have put their call in their post or signature - I try send them
a PM or an email telling them that we can change their user nickname to their call sign.  Many do not know
that can be done. 

If other users could help me get the word out to folks that would be great.

Anyone that would to make that change should go here:

http://www.eham.net/user/updatenick

George
K5TR
N2MG
Administrator

« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2013, 06:09:26 PM »

stirring the pot who DO have callsigns
Wink
I've made that observation for quite a while and used it in my defense of eHam's allowing anonymous (OK, more accurately: non-ham-callsign) usernames

Mike N2MG
NA4M

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2013, 06:55:12 AM »

Something not mentioned yet in this thread is the personal privacy provided by using an anonymous ID.

There have been numerous instances of abusive/intrusive emails and phone calls heaped upon product review writers who used a callsign ID and posted a review that others disagreed with.   Why should someone posting content in good faith have to deal with that kind of abuse?

Anonymous IDs can be abused but so can callsign IDs.

Phil NA4M
eHam Product Reviews Manager
NK7Z

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2013, 07:45:53 AM »

Requiring a callsign will keep out the people who aren't licensed yet.  How about if we require a thumbprint and retinal scan on every post?
That would then keep out the blind thumbless people!  Not really fair to them!

Thanks,
Dave
For reviews and setups see: http://www.nk7z.net
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2013, 03:13:49 PM »

Something not mentioned yet in this thread is the personal privacy provided by using an anonymous ID.

There have been numerous instances of abusive/intrusive emails and phone calls....

First thing is that I have an unlisted phone number.  Not really unobtainable, but unlisted nonetheless.  It has cut down on many, many unsolicited phone calls. As I don't put it out--not even here--no problem with phone calls.

Second thing is the old adage:  "If you can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen."  If people can't stand being criticized, then simply DO NOT POST!  The nature of the internet isn't good--as in being able to call someone an a**hole right to their face--and if you don't want or can't stand the criticism, as I already said--Don't post!
NK7Z

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2013, 07:46:51 PM »

There have been numerous instances of abusive/intrusive emails and phone calls heaped upon product review writers who used a callsign ID and posted a review that others disagreed with.   Why should someone posting content in good faith have to deal with that kind of abuse?

Anonymous IDs can be abused but so can callsign IDs.

Phil NA4M
eHam Product Reviews Manager

That is the cost of publishing a review, people will act crazy and pester you sometimes...  If you don't want to play, get off the playground...  When a review is written and posted by a non-ham, while I find it useful, I tend to trust the ham created reviews more than the non-ham created reviews.  Overall, I believe the ham created review will be better technically.  This is because a review by a licensed person holds more weight to me because the reviewer has made some effort to obtain a license, and demonstrate some level of technical prowess.  Where the non-licensed person has not.  OVERALL I believe this to be true.  I have met some pretty dumb licensed hams in my time, and some pretty smart non licensed people...  My comments are not designed to besmerch the non-licensed folks here...  Just an observation on quality of reviews.

Thanks,
Dave
K1WJ

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2013, 12:56:52 PM »

Tito get me a tissue...................K1WJ Sad
K3GM

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2013, 05:58:23 AM »

It's all about accountability. This seems to be a serious fault in today's culture.  Fewer and fewer of us want to held accountable for what we do, or what we say.  It's very easy to literally hide behind a made up moniker instead of placing your money where your mouth is; keyboard muscles.  eHam is unknowingly promoting this serious character flaw by allowing members to post without calls.  I've been a eHam member both paid and unpaid for a very long time.  As much as I enjoy reading and posting here, I will not monetarily support a site that promotes a double standard.  It's also interesting to note who has contributed to this thread; all amateur calls.
NK7Z

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2013, 06:04:45 AM »

It's all about accountability.
You sir have hit the nail on the head!  It is not just here...

Thanks,
Dave
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: