Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hams not using call signs to identify themselves  (Read 28706 times)
JAHAM2BE

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2013, 08:31:02 AM »

I choose to post under a pseudonym. I have my own reasons for doing so. You can review my posts on eham.net and judge for yourself if you think pseudonymous people such as myself are making worthwhile contributions to the site or not. I am glad that eham allows pseudonymous posting, I know a few other pseudonymous posters on the site who regularly make valuable technical contributions, and I hope that eham continues to allow contributions from persons who choose to remain pseudonymous.

N0YXB

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2013, 08:31:44 AM »

It's all about accountability. This seems to be a serious fault in today's culture.  Fewer and fewer of us want to held accountable for what we do, or what we say.  It's very easy to literally hide behind a made up moniker instead of placing your money where your mouth is; keyboard muscles.  eHam is unknowingly promoting this serious character flaw by allowing members to post without calls.  I've been a eHam member both paid and unpaid for a very long time.  As much as I enjoy reading and posting here, I will not monetarily support a site that promotes a double standard.  It's also interesting to note who has contributed to this thread; all amateur calls.

So you are saying that you use and enjoy this site, but will not monetarily support it because of posters without call signs?  Selective use of term accountability in my opinion.  
AC4RD

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2013, 09:24:25 AM »

I choose to post under a pseudonym.

You DO?  Darn, all this time I thought it was the callsign of some Japanese special-event station!   Wink  Wink  Wink

There have been hams with and without their identifiable callsigns online since LONG before the worldwide web--back to usenet and fidonet days.  Maybe I'm just clueless, but I honestly don't see why anyone objects to someone doing a Lone Ranger deal and using a mask in public.  Doesn't bother ME a bit, and I don't understand why it bothers others.  What business is it of mine if Jaham2be would rather not be publically identified?  IMO it's HIS business.

K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2013, 02:12:03 PM »

It's all about accountability....Fewer and fewer of us want to held accountable for what we do, or what we say.  It's very easy to literally hide behind a made up moniker instead of placing your money where your mouth is; keyboard muscles.  eHam is unknowingly promoting this serious character flaw by allowing members to post without calls....

There is only one flaw to that argument, and that is the ability for e-ham to verify anybody's name or callsign.  How did you have your membership verified?  All you--or anybody else--did was to put your information down on the application screen.  Yes, the e-mail is verified, but that is the only thing that was.  Anyone on this site could be posting under a callsign not theirs--and there is no way at all short of complicated snail mail verification that would cost much more than it is worth that can be done about it.

I do agree with you, however, it IS all about accountability.  Unfortunately, that's the nature of the beast called the internet, and free discussion sites such as e-ham.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2013, 02:17:08 PM by K1CJS » Logged
AF8JC

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2013, 12:28:11 PM »

I use my actual name on almost every forum that I participate. I have yet to receive any malicious contact as a result of this practice. On this, and other ham forums, I use my callsign - and am proud to do so. I guess if you go around causing trouble, or writing obnoxious/threatening posts, then maybe you would benefit from using a moniker.

Opinions are just that, and everyone has theirs. 9 out of 10 folks may have a wonderful experience with a particular radio, and then along comes 1 guy that has experienced nothing but grief after purchasing his. His experience is not in any way invalidated by those more fortunate. That is why there are "lemon laws" for cars - it is for the exceptional cases that just can seem to get resolved. If there are 1 or 2 heat-related failures of IC-7000's, I want to know about it. I also want to know if there were special environmental issues that may have contributed to those failures. We all should be adults and able to distinguish between "trolls" and those with legitimate "gripes".

Jim Caudill
AF8JC
BUBSMASH

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: July 03, 2013, 08:20:56 AM »

Okay well I have read allot of these comments here and I think it is time that I put in my stand point on this subject. Okay so I for one do not have a call sign or hold one so I guess some of you here think that I should not be a part of your thriving community here. Oh hey wait a second thriving hmm sorry from what I have been seeing none of you seem to really be thriving at anything anymore.
There are allot of you that like to DX make contact with as many people as you can with others all around the world so really is this any kind of useful information being sent NO. Though it is not useful it is fun for those of you that like to do it right? Okay so what about those that really could care less about it?
As many others here have said already if this community was to want only people with actual call signs where would that leave me? I never once said that I was not interested in it. I honestly do have to say that I am tossing up the fact on if I actually should be a part of all of this or not.
It also does not help me any to make my mind up about it all when I see postings such as this people meddling complaining that I am a part of there tightly nit community that I guess they feel that I should not be a part of.
I for one can honestly tell you that I am not here to disturb the peace I am not here to be any kind of a bad apple I am here to learn as much as I can from the ones that actually do not mind me here at all. The ones that will actually take the time to take me under there wing to explain things to me give me the knowledge that I need in order to achieve with what I would like to achieve.
I would not of searched on google for a site such as this if I had no interest in any of this. Yes there are some that do come here to disturb the peace so I guess my question to you meddling complainers of all of this that were once newbies yourselves and since you now have a call sign where do I stand in all of this now? Where do you see me on your listing of importance? I know myself there is probably only really about 4 to 5 percent of you that really use any type of communication here that has to do with using a ham transceiver with a real actual purpose and even those numbers are high.
Then you have people like VE7KFM really not doing much of anything making people like me wonder as to why I would even want to even get into anything such as this. I live in Canada myself do you really think that I care for this guy? NO I do not. Would I take part in talking to him telling him to get off the air or be keying up on the same frequency that he was on? No so why would I not do that then? I feel He is doing with what He is doing now because He thinks its funny this is what He wants and allot of you feed with what He is looking for which is attention. Better thing to do would be to ignore everything deaden the lines go to a different frequency but do you think everyone will do that? NO Why? This posting shows why that will never happen. See the way I see it the people that are meddling as well as complaining are not a part of any solution but a big part of the problem. Sorry but that is just my two cents.
These are the types of people that get on the air themselves to nit pick every little wrong doing by others yet they never step back to look if they are not doing anything wrong themselves.
These are the types of people that never go out looking for things such as this: http://www.bibliotecapleyades.net/ciencia/echelon/echelon01.htm
These are the types of people that think there totally perfect now that they hold a card that personally I really could care less about. I know myself they once had to be in the same shoes as myself at one point in time so they can meddle and complain all they want it really does not bother me nor does that other guy VE7KFM. I think it is actually comical myself as I know at the end of the day if it ever came down to meeting them. I know myself most of these types of people are the types of people that talk all big behind there keyboards as well as mics but in person things become a totally different story.
The only time I ever confront these types of people in person is if I am working with them on a job site and I feel that they are affecting others safety as well as my own safety. So to all these posters here that think that I am such a problem for not having a call yet keep meddling and complaining your all just a great comic relief to me oh yeah remember too you ALL at one point were walking in my shoes at some point in time within your life.
K7AAT

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: July 25, 2013, 11:48:12 AM »

An issue not addressed with regards to pseudonames is the EHam Classified ads.   I am very hesitant to purchase anything from someone who I can not at least verify and do a little homework on prior to expressing interest in their sales ads.   Of course I do have the option of simply not responding to such ads.  I wonder how many others feel the same?  Ad posters should consider this issue when not using a verifiable ID.

Ed   K7AAT
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: July 26, 2013, 05:12:11 AM »

One thing that should be said--besides what I pointed out about use of callsigns--is this.  Some people use 'monikers' instead of their calls, possibly because they don't have a call.  Of those, some have their names in their profiles, so they're identified, after a fashion.  It's the people who refuse to put their names up--even on their profiles--who most of the time are here simply to 'stir the pot' and bring the solid brown stuff out to the surface.

It is THOSE people who, most of the time, cause the problems, and it's THOSE people who should be watched and possibly banned from sites like this one.

I suppose I should get off the soapbox now that I've said my piece.  73!
K1DA

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: August 13, 2013, 01:50:49 PM »

There's a certain (former G3) ebay vendor who will ban you from buying his junk (and now NEW stuff) if he thinks you hit too close to the bullseye in talking about his business practices.  Personally I don't care,  Martyn,  what you do, I'll bet you lurk HERE under some call or another, "keeping track".   
WY4J

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: August 18, 2013, 05:45:33 AM »

I agree with many writers here that you should be required to use your ham call if you want to be a part of this site.

It seems that individuals that do not identify themselves with their ham call or elect to remain anonymous rarely have anything positive or constructive to say. Real life observations that I am sure all have experienced. Cowards and girly men always seem to be very brave when nobody knows who they are, where they live and what they look like. A secret name, lots of distance and a keyboard makes for many a Rocky Marciano or a Muhammad Ali. Notice who brave most are behind the wheel of the 2 ton missile they drive. Put these same folks in front of you and all off a sudden they become less aggressive and a lot more courteous and mild mannered. For the record, the name is Ed Rojas and the call is WY4J...73
AC4RD

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: August 18, 2013, 09:55:24 AM »

It seems that individuals that do not identify themselves with their ham call or elect to remain anonymous rarely have anything positive or constructive to say.  Cowards and girly men always seem to be very brave when nobody knows who they are,

I know there are sites like that, sure.  But the regulars here on eham.net are a pretty nice bunch--much more courteous and pleasant than a lot of the web is.  The two non-callsign-ID people I can think of offhand here are "jaham2be" and "tanakasan."  And both of them are long-time regulars, they're always helpful and pleasant, and they contribute a great deal to the discussions.  I wouldn't call either of them cowards or girly-men; they're both nice people.

I admit that your larger point has a good bit of truth to it, but I honestly have never thought of "anonymous girly-men" as being a problem here on eham.   On rare occasions tempers flare up a bit, but never to extremes.  I honestly don't have a problem if some people want to use IDs that aren't their callsigns.  If people DO act like jerks or bullies, we can deal with them, callsign or no callsign.  Let's just enjoy eham and not worry about banishing people unless they actually cause problems!
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: