Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: To buy or not to buy: Kenwood TS 830  (Read 5831 times)
M6YDB

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2013, 01:45:25 PM »

I'll expand on my previous statement  Smiley

I am a new licensee and just had to have an 830S.  They are a joy to operate, simple with all controls to hand.

The RX audio is sublime and the now primitive controls to deal with QRN / QRM (i.e a real notch filter and IF Shift) work exceptionally well.  The TX reports you will get will generally elicit unprompted praise of the audio quality.

They also teach you what modern computer controlled rigs are attempting to do with signal processing etc and how a transceiver actually works.

They look good, aren't expensive and when (not if) you have a problem with one you will soon learn a bit of basic electronics to get it fixed.

They were truly built to a specification and you simply do not get workmanship like them anymore.

And note - I am a Yorkshireman not an Englishman...  Tongue
N4GKS

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2013, 02:59:33 PM »

I use a much modified FT102. If some catastrophe struck and I had to get a new rig, I'd look for a reasonable condition FT102 and put all the mods in. Reason? RF performance on receive AND on transmit

Always liked the looks of the 102.
G4FUT

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2013, 12:29:27 PM »

If the 830 is there....buy it !  I have 3 TS-830s (One a Gold),
a Kenwood TS-530sp and a
Kenwood TS-520se.
OK, so I breed them ! Grin
To be honest I believe that the TS-530sp has a better RX, but just by an edge. However the extra VBT and Tone controls when used properly do bring the 830s into the same bracket as the 530sp.  the weak point in all these hybrids appears to be the TX/RX Omron relay as well as the TX HV capacitors.  If you do the decent thing and buy the rig, then I recommend that your first job is change these capacitors. Because if these "go" then they take out the transformer....and then you end up with a box of Kenwood spare parts. Having done that then learn to tune the PAs properly.
My first TX/RX was a Kenwood/Trio TS530 when I received my UK full licence in 1974 and although I've tried other makes, I must confess that none come up to the old hybrids standards.

Even if the voices aren't real, they have some pretty good ideas
KE4DRN

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2013, 05:24:24 PM »

hi,

Go for it!  Be sure to give it a good cleaning, lube the fan with a few
drops of oil, observe safety warnings when covers are off and you are
inside the radio, clean the dust of the tubes after HV has bleed off and
verified it has, DeOxit or your favorite contact cleaner on the wafer
switch contacts (don't get any on the circuit boards, it will absorb it).

Consider replacing the original HV electrolytic caps, bypass caps and bleeder resistors,
use 500V 150uf  CDE or other high quality brand and you're good for another 30 years.

Please join other Kenwood TS-5xx and 8xx hybrid fans

http://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/TS-520_820_530_830/info

pdf of the manuals are here

http://www.n6wk.com/kenwood/

73 james
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: