Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 2 meter/70 centimeter home rig  (Read 4365 times)
JKHAM

Ignore
« on: June 17, 2013, 12:37:44 PM »

Hi, I am currently using a baofeng handhelp but would like to move up to building out a small 50w base station at my apartment. It would still be a 2 meter/70 centimeter rig and I am thinking to just get a "mobile" unit but use it at home.

Any suggestions on what rigs to get?

KK4KLZ - jeff
KJ4FEL

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2013, 12:49:55 PM »

I use and am very happy with my Kenwood TM-V71. I would highly recommend it!

Steve
KJ4FEL
VE5EIS

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2013, 01:30:31 PM »

Your logic is sound.  Mobile radios work very well in a shack.

The advantage of a dedicated base station 2m/70cm radio is that it could be an all-mode radio which would let you do SSB, CW, etc.  Generally mobile radios are FM only.

I have a base station 2m radio - a Kenwood TS-711A - but it does not include 70cm.  The -811A does 70cm but is a completely separate radio.  It is a much nicer base radio than a mobile radio, but it is much larger and only 25 watts.  (Still, it would hook up to a linear amplifier nicely if I wanted to do DX work.)

If cost is a main consideration and you are just wanting to talk to nearby repeaters and do a little FM simplex, a mobile rig will suit you fine.
NI3S

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2013, 06:21:43 PM »

Jeff,

Mobile rigs tend to work better while not mobile.  With the antenna typically much higher and perhaps able to produce quite a bit of gain, the performance of the system tends to be better.

KA4POL

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2013, 09:35:28 PM »

Just to make your decision a bit more difficult, thinking about a home station should also include SSB. There is a lot of fun in long distance SSB on 2m as well as on 70cm. I am still using an old Kenwood TR-9500. There is also a 2m version to be found on the used equipment market.
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2013, 09:47:17 PM »

One feature I would have to have is the ability to program the radio with a computer.  My Kenwood TM-V7A has this feature.  Otherwise I would never be able to use the damn thing!
KA4POL

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2013, 09:49:27 PM »

Just another reason to use one of the good old computer less rigs  Cheesy
WA3SKN

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2013, 09:49:22 AM »

First... what repeaters are in your area?  That will help determine your requirements.
Then, what kind of budget do you have... and what are your interests?
You might only need/want VHF FM, or you might plan on also getting some HF abilities.
If budget permits, get a power supply capable of powering HF as well as your VHF rig.  You will be glad you did!
73s.

-Mike.
JKHAM

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2013, 09:57:01 AM »

I have access to a number of repeaters both 70 centimeters and 2 meters. Lots of options there. From interest stand point I want to build out my first base station before moving to something larger and taking on dX-ing. I was looking at something like YAESU FT-7900R which would let me use a mobile unit as a base station, have more power and continue to build the relationships I am with the local nets. When you say power supply can you give me suggestions?
K1WJ

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2013, 10:44:19 AM »

I have a Yaesu FT7800R - Astron 35M power supply & Arrow 2m/440 j-pole. Like it. K1WJ
JKHAM

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2013, 01:56:08 PM »

Astron 35M power supply - can you give me more details on this power supply?  I looked them up and found a huge range in price.
AD6KA

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2013, 04:34:13 PM »

Astron 35M power supply - can you give me more details on this power supply?  
I looked them up and found a huge range in price.
There are different models of "Astron 35M" which
accounts for the difference in price. There is a switching
mode and an analog model (uses a transformer),
and also a rackmount model...pretty sure that one is a switch
mode PS.

Some guys say that switching power supplies create
electrical noise in receivers and are not as rugged as analog models.
Switching power supplies are much smaller and lighter, and a bit cheaper.
I have used two switching PS's with HF rigs for over a decade
and had no problems whatsoever.

I have the Astron SS-30M (30 Amps peak with meters)
and a Samlex SEC-1223. (23 Amps peak, no meters)
FWIW, I rarely, if ever look at the meters on the Astron PS.
In fact it's under the desk, but still hooked up and in use.
73, Ken  AD6KA
JKHAM

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2013, 08:13:12 AM »

Okay so here is what I am looking at.

1 - Arrow Dual band J_POLE 2m 440 ham radio antenna
2 - YAESU FT-7900R
3 - Some form of power supply since this radio is made to be mobile.
4 - Either purchase or borrow a SWR
5 - Cable - looks like LMR-400

So, i have to set this up inside my apartment. I can't mount a outside antenna.

Questions - will the antenna i am looking at work for inside application as long as i have it standing in a corner away from people and physical contact?
Any recommendations on SWR meters?
Based on this set up will the  Astron SS-30M still be a good fit for my application?
K1WJ

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2013, 08:58:03 AM »

You can get a 4-6ft Tripod at MFJ that the antenna will mount to or you could get a home depot bucket fill with 20lbs of quick dry cement with 4ft wood dowell again from home depot.
Look at the antenna mast size allowed for dowell diameter.Sounds like you will not need more than 25-ft feet of coax LM400 -ok. I used belden 9913 = good stuff for vhf.uhf. SWR meter is good to have but, if you get good factory 2m/440 antenna, swr meter can wait, swr should not be an issue. Other antennas to consider is Comet GP-1 or Diamond x-30, Arrow also makes a 1/4w vertical 2m/440,but Arrow j-pole is fine too. Yes Astron SS-30 will work for you, this will get you extra amps, if you ever get 100w radio. With antenna in the same room as you only use as much power needed to get job done. Alright go make it happen.......73 K1WJ
JKHAM

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2013, 09:01:33 AM »

wow, thanks for the quick reply...as you can see, this is a major learn in process for me. As to the antenna in a bucket the land lord isn't going to allow anything outside at all. So i have to use something inside the apartment. Will these antenna's work and what safety precautions should I use with a 50W radio?
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: