Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: NOVA for windows  (Read 3537 times)
KA7RRA

Ignore
« on: June 18, 2013, 02:38:12 AM »

I'm thinking of getting NOVA for widows, well it work on widows 8? also the people who use it, how well do you like it? what can you tell me about it?
KQ6EA

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2013, 07:33:46 AM »

It works on Windows 7, but I don't know about Windows 8.

I don't like it. It's a pain to configure, and requires another program to tune the radio. It also hasn't been updated in years, and I'm not sure if it ever will be again.

I think NFW has had it's day in the sun, and should be passed over for something else if you want a program to run your station to work the satellites.

If you just want to track satellites and get some experience watching the footprints, and learn about tracking programs, there are far better FREE programs available.

73, Jim
K8ALM

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2013, 09:20:57 AM »

I've been using Nova for a few years now on a Win XP box.  It is a bit of a pain to set up but once you do it works fine.  I don't see why it shouldn't run in Win 7.  You may have to set the compatibility options but it should run ok.  I also occasionally use SatPC32 and it too works very well for me.  At this time I haven't tried any other sat tracking software.  For controlling antenna position I use ArsWin which can interface with a number of different sat programs including the two I mentioned previously.

Tony
K8ALM
AE5QB

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2013, 09:48:02 AM »

Yes indeed, the two biggest players are NOVA and SATPC32.  I have both.  NOVA has a much prettier interface.  SATPC32 just works well.  I had a few minor problems with the way things work in NOVA but nothing that can't be worked around.  For example the data window sits in the upper right corner of the main window and never seems to be completely visible.  There is a fraction of the data that is always cut off.  The interface to your rotator controller is a bit of pain to set up as well.  SATPC32 works really well.  It tracks accurately and is easy to interface with your rotator and your radio.  If I could only buy one, I would buy SATPC32.  Again, not as fancy or pretty but just works well.
N6JSX

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2013, 04:14:12 PM »

NOVA was the best program on the market but it has fallen off the edge many years ago when it became a dead product. The NOVA creator has moved on and has not done any updates since 2008. NOVA has some issues and he will not fix nor improve his product.  Embarrassed

NOVA works but other programs are more current and have now out paced NOVA. I started the NOVA Yahoo Support group, but due to NOVA becoming a dead program I changed the groups name to HAM-SATs yrs ago to better represent HAMdoms SAT interests (and having a more obvious title to attract users, today it has over 500 users. Undecided

I've now shifted to SATPC32, since this program is still alive with the owner fixes & upgrades his program. I do find issues with he program and hope for change, but nothing will ever be perfect!  Shocked

Part of the lull in SAT programs is the due to the loss of AO-40 and recently AO-51, then there is the flaky OPs of AO-27 and the way behind schedule & unknown status of PE3.

By next year we will have a 10yr life FOX-1 in orbit as the new start of AMSAT's dominance in the HAM SAT Comm world. Intentions are to put a FM FOX-SAT into orbit every year for the next many years ---- soon HAMdom will have a very populated constellation sporting at least 10yrs orbit life per SAT.  Grin

I hope this triggers more supporting HAM SAT products (that has been on the steady decline since AO-40 failure).

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: