Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Still looking for the source of this transmission.  (Read 1978 times)
NK7Z

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2013, 08:21:11 AM »

What makes you skeptical about it?

The only thing to be skeptical about regarding HAARP is the stupidly outlandish claims of mind control and similar garbage.
What, I can take off my foil hat now?

Thanks,
Dave
For reviews and setups see: http://www.nk7z.net
N3DT

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2013, 08:45:06 AM »

I was wondering if it wasn't in the radio on which you hear it loudest.  I think it's time to inspect the radio with another equivalent.  If you can get a different PS for it, try that if not, take the radio somewhere else and listen for it.

Other thing is take your portable near the dipole listening to the signal, and then turn off the radio the dipole is attached to and see what happens.
KE3WD

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2013, 09:46:06 AM »

You hear this signal best on the other sw radios when they are near the dipole and your rig is turned ON, but don't hear it when your rig is turned OFF? 

Suspect the rig itself, switching power supply noise possibly, or could be any number of internal problems, sounds like the rig is broadcasting something it should not be. 

W9KDX

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2013, 07:20:35 PM »

Well, it looks like I have it pinned down.  The bad news is it is in the Yaesu.  The good news is that it is the SM-5000 unit so shipping will be cheap. 

After going through a one after another disconnect of everything, I found that the SM-5000 (the speaker/display unit) was causing the problem.  As soon as I disconnected the power cable from the transceiver to the unit the problem went away.  So, as soon as Yaesu calls me back, I'll get it done under warranty. 

Last thing I would have expected, but glad to finally get this done.

Thanks guys for all the patience and helpful suggestions.

Sam
W9KDX
W0BTU

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2013, 08:02:30 PM »

The good news is that it is the SM-5000 unit so shipping will be cheap. 

I wouldn't call that bad news at all. Glad to hear that you found it! It could have been a lot worse.

I know nothing about this Yaesu equipment, but something tells me there's an easy fix for this without sending anything back. But maybe not.

W9KDX

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2013, 06:32:50 AM »

For anyone with similar equipment, here is the solution from Yaesu.  They said they had never heard anything like this before and after a number of attempts, they decided that the SM-5000 was sending some kind of RF current over the data cable running between the SM and the DX-5000 and suggested some toroid chokes on the cable and on the antenna coax.  I really think they are on the right track as switching data cables increased the problem and disconnecting the cable stopped it.

Anyhow, chokes are on order and fingers are crossed.

Sam
W9KDX
W9KDX

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: June 27, 2013, 06:18:18 AM »

The chokes made a huge difference.  Much thanks to Gary and the Phoenix HRO and Tim at Yaesu for figuring this out.

Sam
W9KDX
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: