The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: IOTA Awards - Financing Available?  (Read 5117 times)
N2RJ

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2013, 10:20:32 AM »

I qualify for WPX mixed, SSB, CW and Digital. Just don't see a great reason to buy more frames.

I paid $14 for the award which was mixed, ssb and 20m endorsements plus 1066 prefixes. I also had to pay $5 per year for eQSL.cc bronze membership.

But yeah, I have a stack of certificates in the closet I am yet to frame. DXCC is framed right now. I also have a few contest plaques that I need to mount on the wall.
WH7DX

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2013, 11:26:01 AM »

Walmart has nice frames for about $6 bucks or something.   I bought 6 in anticipation of my success!   Grin Grin

I always enjoyed trophies and look forward to having the major awards on my wall.   When I get into something, I absorb it.. Grin

An award is an achievement that I enjoy looking at.. nicely displayed etc..   Yes, I could look at my computer for that achievement but it's not attractive - no fun.   No one really sees my QTH but me.  Once in awhile I show my friends, show them the QSL cards, and an award on the wall would be something to explain...   I mentioned that I've never seen any awards at any other QTH other than one who had many contest awards.   No one else seemed to bother.   Personal choice.

I see the organization and work it takes to put it all together.. for IOTA, it can be pricey.   We can do whatever we want... ragchew, contests, DX QSL, Awards, all of the above...  I enjoy seeing eQSL, LOTW and especially Cards in the mail.   Getting something every day is nice.   It might be nicer if most of it wasn't my return envelope with MY postage on it...  Grin   But as a new Ham going after awards.. that's the way it is.

The price of Ham Radio isn't that expensive of a hobby compared to many others.   Wine, Boating, Golf, Shooting, Collectibles..  Tennis is cheap.....

WH7DX

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2013, 04:08:28 PM »

I just signed up for the IOTA awards and it looks like a great program and a lot of fun.

I was surprised to find that I had to send out a lot of QSL cards for those already confirmed with eQSL or LOTW.

Just completed about 35 or so.. about $122 worth.   I threw in 3 extra stamps of the new Muscle Cars with the usual $$ for those that say they like to collect, or for the harder location.

Based on that..  does IOTA offer Postage Loan / Financing assistance...??   Grin

This is going to be one expensive award.

To get to 100 IOTA it will cost about $3.50 per QSL card or $350+.   $1.15 for International + $2 or $3 Green + QSL card and two envelopes - the Internationals aren't cheap  (minus a little for those that are not DX postage).

To get to 500 IOTA is $1750.  But by then it will probably be $2,000.

To get to Top Honor Roll (1090) is $3800 but that would be $5000+.

Still doing it - just saying....   

http://www.gkma3.dsl.pipex.com/iotamhr2013a.pdf

Classic..  today I received two 160M QSL cards and FO4BM (nice card) which I didn't note that I requested a card in my log (duhhh) from March QSO.  I sent two groups of QSL packages out in the last two days - around 35 cards   One was for FO4BM and that one had the extra muscle car stamp inside for the QSL Manager who said he enjoys collecting.

Talk about fast delivery  Grin    I emailed him and told him to keep everything, I received my card - thank you etc....
NI0C

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2013, 04:34:12 PM »

WH7DX wrote:
An award is an achievement that I enjoy looking at.. nicely displayed etc..   Yes, I could look at my computer for that achievement but it's not attractive - no fun.   No one really sees my QTH but me.  Once in awhile I show my friends, show them the QSL cards, and an award on the wall would be something to explain...   I mentioned that I've never seen any awards at any other QTH other than one who had many contest awards.   No one else seemed to bother.   Personal choice.

I have a very small room for my radio shack, with not much wall space.  So I have a few of my favorite awards displayed on the walls.  Until recently, the rest of them resided in the cardboard tubes they were mailed in.  I solved that problem by purchasing an art folio booklet with room for a couple dozen 11 x 14 certificates. 

Chuck  NI0C
AE5X

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2013, 06:32:41 PM »

More reviews:

http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/6608

John AE5X

Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: