Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: SDR PC Help Guide  (Read 7868 times)
NI0Z

Ignore
« on: June 18, 2013, 08:53:58 AM »

I have finished the first draft of a new SDR PC Help Guide.  If you are new to SDR's and are needing help with understanding what kind of PC you might need or some of the basic troubleshooting tips around PC's being used with SDR's this guide may be useful.  It is free and available to the public.  You can find a copy of the guide here.

A Digital Modes Guide is also available there as well in draft status and covers setup of Virtual Com Ports, Virtual Audio Cables and DDUtil with PowerSDR.  You may also find this useful as well.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/apache-labs/files/

As you will see, you may have to sign-up to the group to access the documents.  I will look for a more neutral location long term to make these available.  They would require too much data usage from me to host on my own site as these informational guides tend to get heavily accessed based on past experience.

I should add I do not work for nor am I affiliated with Apache labs and I am in no way compensated for my efforts on this guide and there is no intention to commercialize the document.  As you know I own an Anan 100D and saw a need and decided to address it without prompting from anyone.

« Last Edit: June 18, 2013, 09:17:23 AM by NI0Z » Logged

NI0Z

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2013, 09:57:04 AM »

You may also find it at this link if you do not want to go through the Yahoo Group.

http://TinyURL.com/SDRPCHELPGUIDE

« Last Edit: July 10, 2013, 05:39:40 AM by N2MG » Logged

W4HIJ

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2013, 10:31:57 AM »

Nice of you to put this out there. It's a noble effort. Unfortunately though, if the average Joe Ham has to refer to some type of online guide to decide what type of PC he needs to run an SDR then he has no business buying one in the first place. Just my opinion.
Michael, W4HIJ
K9ZW

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2013, 12:38:47 PM »

There is a question that begs asking that would suggest a third party guide might not be that needed.

Doesn't "Consult your SDR radio's manufacturer for current PC requirements" cover 99% of the questions?

With the varying requirements of each SDR software package, the different requirements between Thin-pipe vs Thick-pipe design, what other station software is going to be used, and so on, make ay one-size-fits all (or even most) guide for even one brand of SDR a tough task.  Keeping that guide for most know SDR models across all teh choices of operatings systems is going to be a major task, that in the end will be paraphrasing what each manufacturer and beand user group has already said.

Steve
K9ZW

K5TED

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2013, 05:40:13 PM »

This is a great guide for those wanting to create their own KI0Z shack.
KM3K

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2013, 08:38:50 PM »

Thanks for a great article; although I'm only at page 26, I wanted to let you know that I am enjoying getting educated.
When I finish reading it, I intend to tell our club about your very good work.
73 Jerry KM3K
NI0Z

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2013, 04:58:14 AM »

Thanks for the feedback, the guide has been very well received thus far.  Of course it's not for everyone and those that like it and need it it is there, and for those that know it all ready, it's a no read affair.  Choice is key for references like these.

The networking section will be applicable for quite a few SDR users who are using the new Ethernet based SDRs.

73!
NI0Z
Mark

SWL2002

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2013, 07:01:51 AM »

Thanks for the feedback, the guide has been very well received thus far.  Of course it's not for everyone and those that like it and need it it is there, and for those that know it all ready, it's a no read affair.  Choice is key for references like these.

The networking section will be applicable for quite a few SDR users who are using the new Ethernet based SDRs.

73!
NI0Z
Mark

Good job on the manual.  Those who say it isn't needed are the same pitiful people who think that everything needs to come from the "official source" which is Flex Radio.
KB1YOH

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2013, 01:14:58 PM »

Thanks!

I really appreciate your web site and your many other contributions to SDR and ham radio in general.
N2MG
Administrator

« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2013, 05:43:51 AM »

It seems perfect for "Joe Ham" who's wondering what SDR is all about and what it would take to jump into it as far as the PC is concerned.

Mike N2MG
N9RO

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2013, 07:07:05 AM »

Mark,
Nice contribution to the community.

Tim,  N9RO

Real techies don't use knobs.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: