The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What to do with "confirmed" QSL cards  (Read 8360 times)
W1VT

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2013, 11:58:50 AM »

I've put the best ones in a binder with archival plastic pages designed for holding postcards.

Zack W1VT
NQ3X

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2013, 03:31:52 PM »

I do LotW and EQSL, but I still like to go through my QSL cards, especially the ones with the nice pictures on them. For awards, I agree that LotW is more convenient, but it's still nice to come home after a long day at work and get envelopes with cards in them.

Hear, hear.  I love QSLs and QSLing.  I don't get a ton of cards, and I haven't been here long enough for them to really pile up.  But I don't really care, because I really like getting little slices of far away.  Also I feel a keen attachment to the tradition of amateur radio through the act of QSL card exchange.  It used to be that the final courtesy of a QSO was the sending of a QSL card.  I can't afford to QSL every single QSO (I think I'm at something like 1,000 a month, on average), but I respond to every card I get.

I do LotW and (grudgingly) eQSL, too, as well as Clublog.  But I prefer cards.

73 de Bob WP2XX
NI0C

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2013, 05:26:41 AM »

Most others that are not needed for awards, after I've replied go in the trash.

Gosh, I could never bring myself to throw away a QSL card.  They don't take up that much room in my house.  I do have a small wall display with about 20 cards; also use a digital picture frame to display a few hundred scanned QSL's and some of the nicer eQSL's. 

I also use photo albums to display my favorite QSL's from each CQ zone that I have confirmed on each band.  I use three such albums: one for the low bands (160, 80, and 40 meters); one for the traditional DX bands (20, 15, and 10 meters); and one for the WARC bands (30, 17, and 12 meters).  My goal is to fill up each of the slots in those albums.

Chuck  NI0C
KC9KXT

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2013, 07:58:25 AM »

I have said this before and will say it whenever the topic comes up..."I love QSL cards!" my grandpa was a CB operator when i was younger and would send out his cards to whomever asked for one, and more likely than not he would receive one back in a cpl of weeks (much to my delight) he would show it to me and we would look on the map on where this operator was who sent this card. Not only were the cards funny but also mostly hand drawn and written. I would look at these cards for hours and write down all the places i wanted to visit because of these cards, its also one of the reasons i got into ham radio. I have thousands of cards from all over the world now, not only from my contacts but rare cards found in estate sales, yardsales, even found one in a book from the library about amateur radio! I share the cards that I receive with my kids, the neighborhood kids, boyscouts, girlscouts, people that are curious on Field day  and anyone who asks to see them. Its a great way to get someone involved in radio and the world. My advice...store them in a cool dry place so you can share them or look at them later in life and reminisce about contacts gone by....or send them my way!
73 kc9kxt
W8LJ

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2013, 09:03:41 AM »

Yes, LotW and EQSL are convenient, but holding a card is a connection, in my opinion.

I was just at friends of ours he is a ham W8XM, and we were talking about dxcc he said he had 331 confirmed. I about fell over. He told us where his binder was and we got them out and I looked at them. a lot of history there. His wife said that if he passed, he's 93 years old, she didn't know what she would do with them, as his children and grandchildren were not hams. I told them I would be very honoured to possess them after he passed.

Ted
AD9DX

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2013, 09:07:51 AM »

There is something cool about holding a card. But LoTW is convenient. I've come to the conclusion that you can't hold on to everything though.

EX, KC9TRM, KB9IRZ
NU4B

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: June 21, 2013, 09:28:06 AM »

I've come to the conclusion that you can't hold on to everything though.

No, I can't hold on to everything, but I can hold on to my QSL cards!  Grin
WX2S

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: June 23, 2013, 03:25:32 AM »

My wife got me one of those digital photo frames for Christmas. I've been scanning the QSL cards with a handheld scanner and uploading them to the photo frame. Some minor trimming of the scanned images is necessary. Works great.

I keep the physical cards in a cardboard box. One of these days, CQ and ARRL will cross accept LOTW and EQSL or someone will come with a confirmation system works better than either of those. Until then, we're going to have to keep on sending green stamps and SAEs.

Wx2s.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2013, 03:42:46 AM by WX2S » Logged

73, - Steve WX2S.
I subscribe to the DX Code of Conduct. http://dx-code.org/
WO2C

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: June 24, 2013, 07:10:09 AM »

I've put the best ones in a binder with archival plastic pages designed for holding postcards.

Zack W1VT

Like Vince, KA3NRX, I keep all the QSL cards I receive. Like Zack, W1VT, I store mine in a large binder of postcard holders. It's an economical method that doesn't require much space, and I've found it to be an effective tool in "selling" amateur radio to would-be hams.
It's also nice to page through it now and again, reminiscing about those contacts from rare DX entities. But, most valuable (after nearly 30 years) are those cards from ham friends who are now silent keys.

Ray, WO2C

Ray, WO2C
K3NRX

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: June 24, 2013, 08:26:06 AM »

Hi Ray!...When are you coming home?....Let me know either here or on e-mail or on Twitter if you do that (@Oiznop).....Hope it's soon..So we can get to a game at PNC Park....the Bucs are ROCK'N (finally).....CUL

V
KA3NRX

KB2FCV

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: June 25, 2013, 09:25:02 AM »

I keep 2 different boxes. Cards that still need to be applied towards an award (dxcc) go in one box, anything that has already been applied towards an award go in another.

I do enjoy looking at the cards at times. I'd like to think of a way to display them or make them easier to 'gaze' at rather then having them sit in a box. I may put them in some binders in some of those plastic card holders.
AF3Y

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: June 25, 2013, 02:11:20 PM »

I keep 2 different boxes. Cards that still need to be applied towards an award (dxcc) go in one box, anything that has already been applied towards an award go in another.

I do enjoy looking at the cards at times. I'd like to think of a way to display them or make them easier to 'gaze' at rather then having them sit in a box. I may put them in some binders in some of those plastic card holders.

Do a google search for "postcard display pages" and get the ones that are made from "acid free" materials.  They are made to fit 3 ring binders, 4 cards to a page.  Most QSLs will fit in the pages. The Japanese sometimes use a larger card, but even those can be lightly trimmed to fit.
73, Gene AF3Y
N7SMI

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: June 25, 2013, 02:48:10 PM »

I just ordered a package of these card display holders for $17 from Amazon. My plan is to have a nice folio of one card for each entity I work, and maybe another for one card from each state, province, prefecture, etc. I also ordered some small, printable labels to print each entity name and affix it on the card display holder for each entity's card.

After looking at what others are charging for something similar, maybe I'll start putting these together in bulk with the binder and a nice, full-color cover photo and sell them online for a small profit.

Would you buy one if the price were right?

Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: