Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: FlexRadio Systems Flex-6700 SmartSDR Preview Editions Arriving  (Read 35392 times)
K9ZW

Ignore
« on: June 20, 2013, 06:04:20 AM »

At a controlled pace FlexRadio Systems has started shipping Flex-6700 radios to hams who had deposits on the Limited Edition program offered starting at Dayton 2012, AND who indicated that they would like to participate in the pre-production software SmartSDR Preview Edition program.

Some hams are posting unboxing photos and some have promised Youtube videos as their radios arrive and are set up.

Others (like me) are checking their UPS tracking number each monring and afternoon trying to predict when their radio will arrive.

Per FlexRadio Systsms SmartSDR Preview Edition has all the basics and critical radio components, though it is a subset of what will be contained in the production releases, which will start with SmartSDR v1.0.

Very interesting times!

Steve
K9ZW

N3NEP

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2013, 03:52:29 AM »

I saw one of these yesterday. Initial thoughts were that these rigs are really boring looking on the outside but some of the features they offer on the inside are quite interesting. My friend who is doing the testing asked me about bringing it to my shack to hook up to my antennas for some testing of its dx capabilities.  Of course I said sure. Grin

Scott
N3NEP
K9ZW

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2013, 08:03:46 AM »

Mine has arrived, but alas unboxing has to wait until after work.  With the rolling thunderstorms here today it is just as well.

Steve
K9ZW

AB1KC

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2013, 09:53:50 AM »

Mine will be here Tuesday!
Can't wait, can't wait, can't wait!!!!!!
Bruce AB1 KC
HAMMYGUY

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2013, 12:14:56 PM »

VIDEO!  We need VIDEO!  I'd really like to see this new Flex-Radio software in actual use.

While the 6700 sounds extremely cool, I'm afraid I'd have buyers remorse after the first credit card bill rolled in.  I'll stick with my Anan-10 for now.  Way cheaper on the wallet with similar capabilities. 
K9ZW

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2013, 12:30:44 PM »

VIDEO!  We need VIDEO!  I'd really like to see this new Flex-Radio software in actual use.

While the 6700 sounds extremely cool, I'm afraid I'd have buyers remorse after the first credit card bill rolled in.  I'll stick with my Anan-10 for now.  Way cheaper on the wallet with similar capabilities. 

Watch the various blogs as people post about their experiences.

Highly suggest we confine the radio brand x vs y to specific threads to discuss the contrasts as reported by those lucky enough to have both radios available to A-B test.

For my part, unless I have an example in my shack to compare the 6700 against, I am going to focus on what the 6700 can do.  Contrasts by spec sheet go nowhere fast, but user reports by actual hands on users are awesome!

Competition benefits all of our hobby, and we are seeing a new class of radios rolling out. 

Back to the new FlexRadio Systems Flex-6000, there are reports of some of the first European deliveries and other overseas deliveries in route.  Also the first Flex-6500 units now appear to be shipping.

Steve
K9ZW

NI0Z

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2013, 07:26:43 AM »

Seems pretty quiet out there with several hams already having the new Flex in their hands? 

new 6K owners, how do you like your new Radio?  Is it all you were waiting for or kinda of a flat experience since the software is not finished?

Not poking fun here but simply wondering what the unfinished experience is like?  I would imagine a little underwhelming right now.. But I could be wrong.

It's my belief that other than a new user interface, unless a ham has a killer antenna they might not see a huge difference between their Flex 5K and 6K series in terms of performance other than the Ethernet connection should be much more stable than FireWire.

So new 6K owners, tell us your first impression... What's it like?

K9ZW

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2013, 08:45:47 AM »

All see pretty busy on the air. 

In my first half-dozen QSOs worked Egypt, Argentina and New Zealand as if they were next door, and worked Flex-6700 Serial Number 8 which is Steve AI4QR.  Steve's signature is on the bottom of my 6700 as he is part of the development team.

You can catch up with my experience at my blog.

Quick summary though, if this is what SmartSDR Preview Edition offers now the production release is going to be awesome.

Steve
K9ZW

WD5GWY

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2013, 06:26:38 PM »

I doubt that it was the 6700 that made those DX contacts sound like they were
next door. More likely, propagation and good antenna is the real reason.
BUT, at the same time, if he is enjoying using his new 6700, then what's the beef?
There are several 6700's running today for Field Day. Reading on the Flex page on
Facebook it looks like quite a few are running them today.
 james
WD5GWY
K9ZW

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2013, 06:59:53 PM »

I doubt that it was the 6700 that made those DX contacts sound like they were
next door. More likely, propagation and good antenna is the real reason.
BUT, at the same time, if he is enjoying using his new 6700, then what's the beef?
There are several 6700's running today for Field Day. Reading on the Flex page on
Facebook it looks like quite a few are running them today.
 james
WD5GWY

A couple weeks down the road I will have A-B switching (actually A-B-C courtesy W2IHY's great gear) when I will be able to give more than my impression.

Please do not construe my impressions for a review - this is Preview Edition software which I will not review in any detail and until the switching gear is up I do not have flick of switch comparisons available.

My antennas and station features are listed at my QRZ page, and are fairly modest.

Steve
K9ZW
« Last Edit: June 29, 2013, 04:43:12 AM by N2MG » Logged

K9ZW

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2013, 04:45:17 AM »

Completed my first SmartSDR software/firmware upgrade - is this slick! 

And it is like "getting-a-new-radio-in-a-download" - wish I could copyright that!

Steve
K9ZW

WD5GWY

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2013, 06:06:29 PM »

And it is like "getting-a-new-radio-in-a-download" - wish I could copyright that!

Steve
K9ZW
Someone had to say it eventually!!  Grin
SO, inquiring minds want to know,,,,,,,,,,,,,,What kind of NEW RADIO did you
get with the latest SmartSDR & Firmware upgrade?
PanaFall maybe?  Roll Eyes
james
WD5GWY
K9ZW

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2013, 07:52:05 PM »

Steve
K9ZW
Someone had to say it eventually!!  Grin
SO, inquiring minds want to know,,,,,,,,,,,,,,What kind of NEW RADIO did you
get with the latest SmartSDR & Firmware upgrade?
PanaFall maybe?  Roll Eyes
james
WD5GWY

FlexRadio Systems has asked that they do official features release announcements. 

Let's watch the official information releases from the German and Colorado ham events for details.

Can report that things are updates rapidly.

Steve
K9ZW

NI0Z

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2013, 08:22:40 PM »

From what I have been gathering through Forums, Blogs and Videos, ect there is a ways to go on these radios.  I think Firmware upgrades are likely to be regular as well as software.

It feels like Flex though is trying to hide too much and I just think its working against them rather than for them.

I look at the new Anan I have a firmware upgrades are good things, not things to be tucked away from the masses.  Heck, we even got the cuSDR software announcement yesterday and over the weekend there was open conversation about moving more functions to the FPGA between developers.

Both these lines of radios have well over a year of upgrades coming their way. 

Why not openly embrace it so all can talk freely.  I am rooting for Flex as well as every SDR manufacturer out there as the competition and drive to new horizons is ultimately what will put better more affordable gear in the hands of the masses.

Alas, me saying this will not change anything for Flex strategy, but its too bad you can't talk about something that cost so much money.

Hopefully they'll move past all this when they get more of the full firmware/software developed.

K9ZW

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2013, 09:53:24 PM »

Alas, me saying this will not change anything for Flex strategy, but its too bad you can't talk about something that cost so much money.

Hopefully they'll move past all this when they get more of the full firmware/software developed.

FlexRadio Systems has been crystal clear that the present June 2013 software is a voluntary participation "SmartSDR Preview Edition."

Any pre-order slot holder who participates in this Preview Edition has volunteered  to do so with the understanding that the software is basically a wide spread beta.

Unless you have your hands on a SmartSDR Preview Edition rig inductive speculation is guess work at best. 

Like waiting for a kettle to boil, the first production release will be ready, when it is ready.

Steve
K9ZW

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: