Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: FlexRadio Systems Flex-6700 SmartSDR Preview Editions Arriving  (Read 32890 times)
K9ZW

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: June 26, 2013, 02:50:47 AM »

The reports on Flex-6500 match those positive Flex-6700 reports already rolling in. 

Really having a lot of fun on the air. 

Only one disappointment though - disappointed in fellow eHam forum posters who mistake idle speculation, troll posting, and their personal issues with posting in a moderated forum (including challenging the moderators right to do their work) for meaningful contributions.

The Preview Edition process is really going well - and the update process as added features & tweaks roll out couldn't be easier. 

I couldn't be more pleased with either the radio, the Preview Edition opportunity, or the successful QSO after QSO.

Steve
K9ZW

NI0Z

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: June 26, 2013, 09:00:18 AM »

Here are some questions:

When will the waterfall actually be ready on the new 6K series?
Was the notion that there would be a Preview Edition for an even more select and limited group of users ever mentioned in the original pre-order offer?
When will the radio actually be released with full functionality?
Was the notion that incomplete radios would be delivered ever mentioned up front when deposits were collected?
Are all the Flex pre-order customers happy with the delays?
Are all the users in the preview happy?

So, in the spirit of not speculating, lets get factual answers to these questions.

How about real answers to real questions to dispel the notion that people are trolling and speculating idly?

Again, much of this is not speculation because many of us already know the answers to these questions.  To say that those answers are pure speculation is disrespectful to those that know the truth.

Please feel free to set the record straight on these and the other questions circulating right now.

Even better, have a flex official come and respond to these simple questions with simple short answers.

The really great CEOs out there can acknowledge when they make mistakes, apologize to their customers and promise and follow through with the promise to make things right and make things better. 

It is that kind of integrity that generates respect and renewed trust from customers.  Keeping real issues under the carpet though creates distrust.  Anything short of that, well, it just falls short, doesn't it?

Not something I made up, its just how it really is out there. 

« Last Edit: June 26, 2013, 09:06:43 AM by NI0Z » Logged

K9IUQ

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: June 26, 2013, 12:38:24 PM »

It is that kind of integrity that generates respect and renewed trust from customers.  Keeping real issues under the carpet though creates distrust. 

Mark:
I have pondered many times:

Why does a USA company like Elecraft generate positive thinking customers?

Why does a USA company like Flexradio generate controversy and so many negative views from present and past customers?

Since you own both Elecraft and Flex radios maybe you could explain how the 2 companies differ in respect to being honest with customers???

I already know about Flexradio honesty, I was a past 5K owner but I have never had dealings with Elecraft.

Stan K9IUQ
NI0Z

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: June 26, 2013, 01:59:43 PM »

It is that kind of integrity that generates respect and renewed trust from customers.  Keeping real issues under the carpet though creates distrust. 

Mark:
I have pondered many times:

Why does a USA company like Elecraft generate positive thinking customers?

Why does a USA company like Flexradio generate controversy and so many negative views from present and past customers?

Since you own both Elecraft and Flex radios maybe you could explain how the 2 companies differ in respect to being honest with customers???

I already know about Flexradio honesty, I was a past 5K owner but I have never had dealings with Elecraft.

Stan K9IUQ

Put me on the spot there Stan!  Smiley

My best answer in my limited experience is that their CEO gets on the reflectors and interacts with his customers directly.  He never presents himself as I am superior than you and he never suggests any question is dumb.  He has been honest in confronting issues and not afraid to work with users live on a forum to work through them.  Remember the speaker issue, he has not deflected it.  

When there have been delays he has confronted the issues openly.  When customers have had ideas he considers them and thanks people for them  From my view they have always offered to make things right.

He seems to genuinely appreciate his customers and does not seem to take advantage of that loyalty.

He doesn't take peoples money for products that are not shipping either.  I am now a preorder customer for the new amp which I look forward to using with the KX3 as well as other low watt SDRs.  Cost to get on the list?  Nothing!

While things are not perfect in that world, what I see is a lot of the right stuff!

WD5GWY

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: June 26, 2013, 05:15:08 PM »

FlexRadio Systems has asked that they do official features release announcements. 

Let's watch the official information releases from the German and Colorado ham events for details.

Can report that things are updates rapidly.

Steve
K9ZW

Well, someone is not paying close attention to their request to let FlexRadio Systems
do any official announcements:
http://1vc.typepad.com/ethergeist/2013/06/flexradio-6700-latest-pre-release-update.html
And he was one of their top Alpha Testers at that!
Oh, also, Tim Ellison of FlexRadio Systems, also posted a link on Flex's Facebook page
to this blog as well. So, I would think that it might just be OK after all, if Beta Testers
did share some of the new features as they came out. As has been mentioned elsewhere,
it would certainly help if they did let the Beta Testers share information with the rest of us.
It might help people thinking seriously about getting a 6000 Series radio when the general
release occurs, to make the plunge.
james
WD5GWY

K9IUQ

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: June 26, 2013, 05:41:58 PM »

Well, someone is not paying close attention to their request to let FlexRadio Systems
http://1vc.typepad.com/ethergeist/2013/06/flexradio-6700-latest-pre-release-update.html

The picture showing SmartSDR in that link was damning. NO Panafall and the most basic SDR screen I have ever seen. Surely there are more SmartSDR control screens? I am beginning to see why Flexradio may want to keep SmartSDR development "secret" for a while..

Stan K9IUQ
K9ZW

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: June 27, 2013, 01:03:31 AM »

FlexRadio Systems has asked that they do official features release announcements. 

Let's watch the official information releases from the German and Colorado ham events for details.

Can report that things are updates rapidly.

Steve
K9ZW

And he was one of their top Alpha Testers at that!
Oh, also, Tim Ellison of FlexRadio Systems, also posted a link on Flex's Facebook page
to this blog as well. So, I would think that it might just be OK after all, if Beta Testers
did share some of the new features as they came out. As has been mentioned elsewhere,
it would certainly help if they did let the Beta Testers share information with the rest of us.
It might help people thinking seriously about getting a 6000 Series radio when the general
release occurs, to make the plunge.
james
WD5GWY

Stu K6TU, along with Kevin K6TD, is a developer of the FlexControl, and is very tight with FlexRadio Systems.  Anything he releases on his blog is not renegade, nor is there any "announcement" of data or hard comparison information.  Stu K6TU writes very well and his blog EtherGeist is worth watching.

The "where are the menus and buttons" observation is natural.

The very clean appearance to the software is the result of an impressive design using extensive mouse-over and pop-up features.

The slice (broad panadapter) has one level of controls and the "receivers" another.

This nothing new, appearing in videos, stills, media and the hands on alpha demos. 

Until you get a chance to try it out it may seem counterintuitive.

BTW the buttons that show in Stu K6TU's snap are menu items he opened for the screen shot, as usually you would have these closed seeing just the slice.

Notice the icons on the bottom bar, they are the ones that open these features.

The Receiver has pop-down from the frequency "flag" and hover-overs at various places.  Upper left another menu tab is open for this picture as well.

If you look over the pictures on Stu's Blog you will see other pop-opens/hover-overs open for screen shots.

All a very different look and feel to SmartSDR than PowerSDR had.

That doesn't mean that a third party couldn't develop a GUI/HMI for the Flex-6000 that has the PowerSDR look/feel if they found a demand and worked out developers API access.

Very neat architecture and options.

Steve
K9ZW

K9IUQ

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: June 27, 2013, 05:03:25 AM »

The very clean appearance to the software is the result of an impressive design using extensive mouse-over and pop-up features.

This is the kind of response and information I was trying to elicit.

New and Improved is not always appreciated by customers. Ask Coca Cola how the New Coke worked out.  Wink

The problem I have with mouse overs and popups is you have to remember where they are. I want controls where I can find them easily with lots of labels and buttons. I want a cluttered control panel in a radio - like the Kenwood TS-990s or any Yaesu high dollar radio.  Wink

Stan K9IUQ
SWL2002

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: June 27, 2013, 05:23:47 AM »

This is the kind of response and information I was trying to elicit.

New and Improved is not always appreciated by customers. Ask Coca Cola how the New Coke worked out.  Wink

The problem I have with mouse overs and popups is you have to remember where they are. I want controls where I can find them easily with lots of labels and buttons. I want a cluttered control panel in a radio - like the Kenwood TS-990s or any Yaesu high dollar radio.  Wink

Stan K9IUQ

The guys who complain about the user interface of PowerSDR not being amenable to contesting are really going to be complaining about Flex's new interface.  If it takes precisely pointing, and remembering where to point, the mouse, then it is not going to win any converts when you are operating under pressure in a contest.

K9IUQ

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: June 27, 2013, 07:05:24 AM »

The guys who complain about the user interface of PowerSDR not being amenable to contesting are really going to be complaining about Flex's new interface.  If it takes precisely pointing, and remembering where to point, the mouse, then it is not going to win any converts when you are operating under pressure in a contest.

Here is what I want a SDR screen to look like. Much information and readily available.

http://roaringstar.com/index.php/articles/97-these-new-ddc-radios

Nice job Mark.

Stan K9IUQ
NI0Z

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: June 27, 2013, 07:29:43 AM »

While not the most elegant cobbled together interface, everything is there at my finger tips and its very powerful to see all your spots, see near real time propagation forecasting and sunspot info, see your log, see your S-meters clearly, see your panadaptor, all your buttons, access QRZ, control your output audio, input audio when needed without flipping screens. 

Don't forget, the bottom right screen is on a touch control display and I also have knobs in the DJ Panel for Dual VFO, Power, Zoom, Gain, ect.  Once cuSDR is finished it will become holistically a dream radio.

But the part people might miss is that the radio is secondary in that I can plug and play different SDR's into this paradigm.

The radio vendor doesn't own me!  Smiley

So now take that screen and put it on the monitors in this picture and you have what things look like today.

http://roaringstar.com/index.php/articles/95-anan-100d-early-review-by-ni0z

I have a really cool screen I cant share yet that shows this plus monitoring on 5 bands all at once.

W4HIJ

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: June 27, 2013, 04:18:01 PM »

I appreciate your thoughts. Suffice to say I have no beef with you. I enjoy discussing SDR with you even though we may disagree on some things. Thankfully, there are only a couple of posters on here that can't be civil and conduct themselves with a modicum of decency.  I have them on ignore but it did hit a nerve when I saw someone seemingly supporting the actions of one of them.  I'm only human. As you have said, it's just a hobby and they are just radios  which makes it even more baffling why someone would choose to get so personal as attacking a deceased member of someones family. It's unforgivable. In the end a hobby is about enjoying yourself and it makes not one bit of difference in the world whether you get that enjoyment out of a Flex, Anan, Elecraft or scratching a cat whisker around on a piece of crystal! These are exciting times to be a ham radio op and I doubt I would even still be involved in the hobby if not for the advent of SDR and also digital communications. I can't wait to see what comes next!
Michael, W4HIJ
« Last Edit: June 29, 2013, 04:40:53 AM by N2MG » Logged
K9ZW

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: June 28, 2013, 05:02:19 AM »

Returning to SDR's my set of Flex-6700 unboxing photos are now up. 

The optional hardware suprised, as it is all billet machined very sturdy pieces. 

Steve
K9ZW

W6UV

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: June 28, 2013, 09:01:27 AM »

The optional hardware suprised, as it is all billet machined very sturdy pieces. 

For $7000 I would expect it to be gold plated. ;-)
K9ZW

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: June 28, 2013, 09:25:40 AM »

For $7000 I would expect it to be gold plated. ;-)

Performance of this level would be a deal at 2-3 times the price.

The optional hardware are circa $90-100 a set BTW.

Steve
K9ZW

Pages: Prev 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: