Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Do I need isolation transformers with battery operation?  (Read 3247 times)
K7NHB

Ignore
« on: June 27, 2013, 09:51:40 AM »

I'm trying to configure the KX3 for portable work and using a Griffin imic for an external sound card. In some posts for setting up Nap3 software, I've read about using an Isolation transformer between the I/Q output and the sound card - like a $20 Rad Shk. device to prevent ground loops. I can imagine that if everything is somehow connected via AC power from the wall. But if the KX3 is on it's own independent battery and the Netbook is on it's own independent battery, is that an issue. The transformer is just one more thing to buy/carry/hookup/loose so I'd rather avoid it if possible. But if it makes a solid, or necessary, contribution, then I'll include it.

73, Paul K7NHB
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2013, 01:16:17 PM »

In some rigs it is necessary to avoid connecting (commoning) the input(s) and the output(s) together at all.  It may damage the rig wiring, so if they recommend using an isolation transformer, it's best to do so--even if the rig and any ancillary equipment do not share common power.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: