Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Elecraft K3 Kit Caution  (Read 2646 times)
WA2ASB

Ignore
« on: June 14, 2013, 06:54:47 PM »

I just finished building the K3 with nearly all the options including the Sub Receiver.  I enjoyed it for the most part.  However, there were some places that were really difficult to get my hand into a cramped area.

So if you are like me and find XL gloves to be tight, you might want to think about getting it already assembled.  Oh, and make sure the sub-receiver is the last thing you put in.

The P3 was no problem.  If you get the SVGA card, plug it in during the main build vs following the instructions that were written for inserting it into a P3 that has already been completed.

AD9DX

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2013, 05:39:54 PM »

I just finished building the K3 with nearly all the options including the Sub Receiver.  I enjoyed it for the most part.  However, there were some places that were really difficult to get my hand into a cramped area.

So if you are like me and find XL gloves to be tight, you might want to think about getting it already assembled.  Oh, and make sure the sub-receiver is the last thing you put in.

The P3 was no problem.  If you get the SVGA card, plug it in during the main build vs following the instructions that were written for inserting it into a P3 that has already been completed.

I am 6'6" and about 275 and have a hard time fitting into XXL gloves... Glad it wan't just me.

EX, KC9TRM, KB9IRZ
K2GWK

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2013, 12:05:15 PM »

That's what they make XYL's. I am a big guy also, but for the tight fit situations I instructed the wife on what to do and her petite fingers had no problems.

Guy
Lawn Guyland, New York

K2GWK Website
WB6DGN

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2013, 12:04:08 AM »

That's what they make XYL's.

The labor rate is WAAYYY too high!  That's what they make college students for!
Tom
ZENKI

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2013, 01:59:23 AM »

You can surgeon forceps, theres all different shapes of forceps available that will allow you to work on a K3. Thats what I did when I plugged in all those little pigtail cables.

There are many  ways to skin cat. The K3 is the easiest KIT that I have ever built and even if you have no kit building experience you can put a K3 together. My K2's were more of a challenge but more rewarding in my view.

Anyway dont let this issue scare you away from building a K3 its a non issue.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: