Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 4 5 [6]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Time to dump the phonetics  (Read 16066 times)
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #75 on: July 30, 2013, 09:54:47 AM »

That's why its important to know, not only the phonetics but, the RULES for their use.  As I was taught in ground school (in 1958), the words are pronounced in "AMERICAN ENGLISH" thus eliminating the confusion.  Today, I understand that pronunciation is dependent on region of the world where used, once again introducing the potential for error just to salve some group's ego.  Common Sense = 0,  Political Correctness = 1; when (if ever) is it going to end?

Yeah, but military training and communications is one thing, and ham radio is another.  With most of the hams coming on board not having such training, you're more likely to be misunderstood using the 'standard' these days.  

One good example is the letter/word you chose, 'Q'.  Some would know what/where Quebec is--but a lot more would know what Queen means!
G3RZP

Ignore
« Reply #76 on: July 30, 2013, 03:16:22 PM »

What is used  for the US military (or US airlines) in terms of pronunciation isn't necessarily that which is useful for a non - native language English speaker in a country foreign to him.  So 'Kwebek' for some may be much less use than 'Kebek'.
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #77 on: July 30, 2013, 03:53:13 PM »

To each their own.  All I can really say about it is this--I'm not getting paid to use certain phonetics, I'm not in the military, there is no law that says there is a set standard that has to be used, and more common words are more easily understood by a lot of people.

Instead of 'dumping' phonetics, how about dumping all the policing and the crazy ideas?  73!
KC5YIV

Ignore
« Reply #78 on: July 30, 2013, 04:21:56 PM »

Dump phonetics? Has QRM been discontinued, or am I missing some secret information that makes this idea not completely ludicrous?
AK7V

Ignore
« Reply #79 on: July 30, 2013, 05:02:58 PM »

Q = Queue (pronounced just as it's spelled)

C = Cue

M = Mnemonic

W = Weimeraner

A = Are

B = Bee

E = Ewe (or Eye?)

G = Genes

I = In

J = Jeans

K = Know

N = No

S = Sea

Y = You
K7KBN

Ignore
« Reply #80 on: August 01, 2013, 11:37:59 AM »

I still like D = W.   Grin

Pat K7KBN
CWO4 USNR Ret.
VE5EIS

Ignore
« Reply #81 on: August 02, 2013, 01:04:01 PM »

One good example is the letter/word you chose, 'Q'.  Some would know what/where Quebec is--but a lot more would know what Queen means!

Anyone who has studied the NATO phonetic alphabet knows that "Quebec" is Q.  They may not know where Quebec is, or even that it is a place.  They don't even need to know it.

A KQ call recently called himself "King Queen" on a net I was on, and it took me several seconds for it to occur to me what he meant.  Kilo Quebec would have been far faster at communicating the meaning.
K7KBN

Ignore
« Reply #82 on: August 02, 2013, 05:31:02 PM »

Having been licensed for half a century, I recognize "Queen" just as quickly as I recognize "Quebec", no matter how it's pronounced.  Even "CUE-beck".

With experience, most of us will be able to work with many different phonetic systems.  Since there is no mandated standard which thou shalt use, it's a lot easier to go with the flow.

Pat K7KBN
CWO4 USNR Ret.
N5INP

Ignore
« Reply #83 on: August 02, 2013, 05:34:59 PM »

Here's the phonetics I use locally, the hams that hear it seem to enjoy them -

November 5 Ignorant Naive Person

Tongue

WB6DGN

Ignore
« Reply #84 on: August 03, 2013, 09:34:25 PM »

Some would know what/where Quebec is--but a lot more would know what Queen means!

Bad choice!  Much as I'd like to, I won't go there!

Tom
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #85 on: August 04, 2013, 04:42:40 AM »

Some would know what/where Quebec is--but a lot more would know what Queen means!

Bad choice!  Much as I'd like to, I won't go there!

Without going there myself, why do you think I chose that particular word?  One of the meanings is the current head of state in Great Britain--then there are the other meanings that you refer to.
K0TCH

Ignore
« Reply #86 on: August 04, 2013, 04:51:21 AM »

I for one am proud of my call sign, I EARNED it just like all the other hams out there. So why do a few hams say their call so fast that you can't understand what was said ? Are they ashamed of there call? SLOW DOWN.
AC4RD

Ignore
« Reply #87 on: August 04, 2013, 05:48:45 AM »

Here's the phonetics I use locally, the hams that hear it seem to enjoy them -
November 5 Ignorant Naive Person

The first callsign held by my pal AF4YN was KF4UQX.  He would give the suffix phonetically as "Unceasingly Querying Xerxes."  Smiley

Speaking of phonetics police:  My call starts with AC, but other hams often hear it as KC.   I don't use the FM repeaters very often, and I'd often use phonetics when I did, so people would get the call correctly.  But there was a local guy who would often pop up and admonish me or anyone else who did it: "Don't use phonetics on FM!"  Yeah, thank you officer.  :-/
K7RNO

Ignore
« Reply #88 on: August 04, 2013, 07:50:07 AM »

I for one am proud of my call sign, I EARNED it just like all the other hams out there. So why do a few hams say their call so fast that you can't understand what was said ? Are they ashamed of there call? SLOW DOWN.

It is because, in their small mind, they think everybody knows their call as well as they do.
It cracks me up every time a ham asks for phonetic spelling of calls and then they rattle down theirs in one blob.

aRNO
NAQCC #6870, SKCC #11131
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 4 5 [6]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: