Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: TIRED OF SECOND RATE TREATMENT QRPERS GET.  (Read 22816 times)
WG5G

Ignore
« on: June 22, 2013, 03:17:17 PM »

Hello, my name is Dan, WG5G, I was the winner of this years low power catagory of CQ magazine's DX MARATHON, well if you read the article in the June issue you'll see no mention of that catagory, dont know if the big boys dont beleive it can be done or they are embarrassed that someone can score 296 with 5 watts and an antenna at 50 feet. I know a few of you that are regulars here, WA2TPU, NU4B, AA4GA, AE5X and a few others, I think you all will agree its time we get a little better treatment from CQ magazine and the ARRL, come on a DXCC/QRP for 100 countries with no endorsement, give me a break, Hey Cam N6GA, are you reading this, come on guys we are Dxers too, I personally rather work dx from my home station, but to each his own, I hope this gets read and noticed, 73/72 Dan, WG5G/QRP FOREVER.
W1JKA

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2013, 05:35:07 PM »

Dan,I fully understand and respect your view on this subject,however as a hard core QRPer myself with the vast majority of my qso 's being 2 x qrp that in general we as a group do not give much credence to recognition,wall paper or printed coverage.This is due to most in this niche are in it solely for self satisfaction ,self sufficiency and of a laid back nature.Our main qso concerns are rigs,mutual interest,geographical qth info.I seldom hear the word " contest "mentioned and if so it is quickly followed up by mentioning something about hiding out on 30m for the weekend.I have nothing against contest,just not my thing.Even QRP has its sub niches and I'm sure others with views such as yours will chime in.
K0OD

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2013, 06:52:55 PM »

"the big boys dont beleive it can be done or they are embarrassed that someone can score 296 with 5 watts and an antenna at 50 feet."

You left out that your antenna is a 200 pound 5-element quad:
http://files.qrz.com/g/wg5g/New_Image.JPG

K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2013, 07:35:37 PM »

OD:  Snicker...... chortle...... Cheesy Grin   Roll Eyes

"I'm running only 5 watts here.  Antenna is a 28 element, 5 band Yagi, 97ft boom .....with 57db gain...... "

Dan, you should be putting strobes on that antenna to warn the birds!  Daymn!
KB4QAA

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2013, 01:42:28 PM »

If you think QRP'ers don't get respect, consider those who labor with carbon element microphones! Not a single mention anywhere.   Wink
GILGSN

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2013, 02:33:48 PM »

QRP means different things to different people. I for once can't stand contests and don't consider using a big quad antenna to be QRP.. But that's me.. So, I couldn't care less about recognition. It means nothing to me. When I make long distance contacts with my little portable rig and an end-fed up a tree, that's all the satisfaction I need. Nobody ever knows about it but me and the other guy, and maybe some eavesdroppers; who cares... I understand that Hams who like competition like it when their accomplishments get noticed and they get  little ego-boost.. But there just aren't many people in that clique to make a big deal out of it. I don't think there is a real discussion whether QRP works but by some frustrated (for having spent thousands for an amp) and ignorant people.
Maybe QRP contesting isn't the best way to make headlines... Better pick up Golf...

Gil.
NU4B

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2013, 02:35:58 PM »

Hey buddy,
 I had to go reread the CQ article. Ignoring those antenna comments (not sure what that has to do with anything) it was surprising  the way the article was written. They clearly have 2 divisions in the formula class. It may have more to do with the limitations the author had with space - OK, a flimsy excuse, but the best I can come up with. Remember, too, there were only 12 participants in the QRP division which brings me to this:
 I think the main thing we have to remember is that QRPers are a small subset of the general ham population and those of us actively DXing and contesting are a smaller subset of that group. So who are they writing for - those guys with huge stations who think we are foolish in our endeavors - are much bigger chunk of the ham market.
 It is interesting, though, in the CQ contests the QRP category has grown tremendously. (CQWW and WPX). Back when I started they were lucky to get 100 entries. Now I got over 200 logs last time I counted a couple years ago. And CQ has done a decent job promoting QRP - with QRP columns, QRP issues, and adding the QRP assisted category to their contests. I have seen some QRP articles lately in QST and in fact I'm building the Cyclone 40 - the result of ARRL design contest.

But I think the bottom line is we are the ones that will have to promote those QRP activities like contesting and DXing. (These big gun DXers are the guys that think they need 1500 watts to QSO CY0 from W2 - and there are many more of those than us.) Maybe we should sponsor a plaque for the QRP division for the DX Marathon. Personally I think the divisions in the marathon are strange.  (CQ is trying to copy the original Marathon of decades ago. The idea is great, but there are some things that work better in 2013) There should be 3 categories - Unlimited, 100 watt, QRP. And all this antenna business  - just throw that out. But we need to write in and give them our ideas. Usually a plaque sponsorship will get their attention. And the attention of potential participants.

Maybe we (and some of the other active QRP DXers) should exchange some emails and talk about promoting QRP DXing and contesting.

And finally - a BIG congratulations to WG5G for winning the QRP division in the 2012 DX Marathon: 256 countries; all 40 zones!
Excellent work, Dan!

73/72 Larry NU4B
« Last Edit: June 23, 2013, 02:44:07 PM by NU4B » Logged
WG5G

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2013, 03:54:30 PM »

Good evening Larry and all who responded,Larry I think you hit the nail on the head with the plaque sponsership, guess I need to email the powers that be about that, tnx for the tip, also tnx for the congrats, I know you are competing this year and know its no cake walk, regardless of antenna.I wud like to see more of the qrpers in this forum and the general qrp population enter for that exact reason to cement our legacy in ham radio. For those ooohing and awwwing over my antenna, all I can say first I designed and built it all by myself, kinda like the way you all build qrp gear, and last time I cked qrp was defined as 5 watts output from the radio, I always thought the best way to improve would be at the antenna end, so I just gradually improved my antenna. The antenna you see on QRZ was built so I had a chance at the last few that I need, most of my dx was wked with a 2 ele quad at 30 ft, theres still some skill involved wking dx and sometimes luck, but its always fun, 73/72 Dan WG5G.
NU4B

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2013, 05:44:06 PM »

I cked qrp was defined as 5 watts output from the radio, I always thought the best way to improve would be at the antenna end, so I just gradually improved my antenna.

Yeah, like I said, I'm not sure what those antenna comments were about. I always thought a improving your antennas was a good thing. More preferable than say... buying an amp. Plus learning about antennas and propagation is kind of essential in long distance QRP operation. 

Then there was that one dude that didn't like contests, recognition, or gain antennas. I think QRP has for the most part been accepted as 5 watts or below from the transmitter (10 watts PEP).

For those of us that do enjoy DXing, contesting, (and gain antennas) its nice to see a little recognition for our efforts. Ultimately its personal satisfaction with building a QRP station that can work the world, but its nice to read what Dan is doing or what other QRPers that are working DX are doing and share in the excitement of their success.
K0OD

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2013, 10:53:57 PM »

"the big boys dont beleive it can be done or they are embarrassed that someone can score 296 with 5 watts and an antenna at 50 feet."

That monstrosity is on an urban lot of less than 7,000 square feet. Neighbors are packed on either side and behind him. As a longtime DXer I generally view antennas as things of beauty, but that 200 lb quad is one reason many of us have to endure restrictions even on the most unobtrusive of antennas.

See it here (scroll to bottom to see antenna on G Street View):
http://www.homesnap.com/TX/San-Antonio/1210-Bailey-Avenue

NU4B

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2013, 02:55:35 AM »

That monstrosity is on an urban lot of less than 7,000 square feet. Neighbors are packed on either side and behind him. As a longtime DXer I generally view antennas as things of beauty, but that 200 lb quad is one reason many of us have to endure restrictions even on the most unobtrusive of antennas.

See it here (scroll to bottom to see antenna on G Street View):
http://www.homesnap.com/TX/San-Antonio/1210-Bailey-Avenue

Been trolling around lately?  Grin

Actually the reason many of you have to endure restrictions even on the most unobtrusive antennas is because you moved into a place that has them. If your unhappy with your decision, rather than blame somebody else, maybe you should blame your poor decision making - and get a good real estate agent that will look out for your interests - like me.  Grin
F8WBD

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2013, 04:47:56 AM »

Read W1JKA for my opinion on the subject. I concur totally.
K0OD

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2013, 02:01:13 PM »

get a good real estate agent that will look out for your interests - like me.  Grin

Or a good real estate lawyer... like me.

Anything-Goes Texas is an antenna farmer paradise. Got listings near him? My wife can't wait. Here's the 200 lb quad as seen from next door:
http://www.homesnap.com/TX/San-Antonio/1212-Bailey-Avenue

I've worked every country in the world except two with nearly invisible antennas. A shack wall is covered with contest certificates. My 40-meter 4-square was a killer. Its reed-thin verticals blended into our 60' pines pretty well. Yes, some of my certificates were QRP.
W7ASA

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2013, 03:34:10 PM »

I personally prefer a low profile ham station and I view contests as nothing more than sanctioned jamming but that's my personal preference. As for this fellow's antenna - so what?  It's an antenna.  Personally, I don't like some of the things in other people's yards & occasionally I do not like them either.     Shocked    However, having failed to become the Emperor of Earth, I am pretty  much relegated to the fact that if it's their home and not actually causing damage or disturbing what we laughingly call 'the peace' in this country, then since it's THEIR home, it's actually none of my business.

Seeing the picture of his property & his home with an interestingly designed & built antenna, really presents me with no difficulty. It's his home and a man's home is his castle.  If some hand-wringing pansy is offended by a fraction of a percent of their view containing an antenna, then let them look elsewhere. There are far worse things to have in neighborhoods, most of which are filthy, noisy, predatory parasites      Roll Eyes   (but enough about politicians...).

de Ray
W7ASA ..._ ._
« Last Edit: June 24, 2013, 03:42:04 PM by W7ASA » Logged
N4UM

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2013, 04:52:17 PM »

I think the Stones wrote a song about this...I can't get no ...
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: