Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: HARBOR FREIGHT  (Read 20194 times)
N9LCD

Ignore
« on: June 22, 2013, 08:45:33 PM »

Bought a supposedly complete set of drill bits from them a few years ago.  The set arrived with about eight of the smallest, wire-like bits missing.  Well, didn't do anything about it; I don't use fine bits like those.

A few days ago I was installing some towel bars using an unused #35 drill bit from the Harbor Freight set.  It was very slow going into a wooden cabinet door when the bit broke.

Ran out out to the garage and retrieved my fathers old Huot drill index, made in the U.S.A. and probably at least as old as me.  Pulled out the #35 bit, popped it into my hand-cranked drill and made three more holes with little effort.

You can easily tell an old, sharp drill bit from a new.dull one especially if you're using a hand-cranked drill.

Maybe they should put "Salvage" back in their name.  It would be descriptive!!!!

N9LCD

Angry
KG4RUL

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2013, 03:59:03 AM »

You get what you pay for.
N0IU

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2013, 06:36:10 AM »

Wow... complaining about Harbor Freight quality. I never saw that one coming!
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2013, 07:19:24 AM »

Some of what they sell is OK, but some.....  Regarding the missing drill bits--sometimes manufacturers used to get the bit cases and then put only the sizes they made in them, but that practice mostly stopped a number of years ago.  I still remember getting wrench sets that had open spaces in them too.

In the end, it all comes down to how well you care for and how roughly you use your tools.  Even well made big name drill bits will dull down fast if they're forced or used for purposes they're not meant to be used for.  (Example:  using standard drill bits for hardened metals)

In the final analysis, Harbor Freight tools are good for the occasional use of home handymen and women, but not for everyday uses that some people expect to use them for.
KD0REQ

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2013, 10:45:59 AM »

if it's a moderately exotic ( over $100) tool that you don't see in the neighborhood hardware store, and you probably will only use it a handful of times, Harbor Freight is worth checking out.  if it's something that might be in use in a million places in China at once, like auto mechanics type tools, it's probably good quality.

if it's REALLY exotic, I'd rent a commercial grade unit locally with a recognized brand name on it.  like most suburban homeowners, I'd consider things like a Bobcat, a track hoe, a dump truck really exotic for the neighborhood.
AD6KA

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2013, 02:27:38 PM »

What he said (above) +1.

It's pretty simple.
If you are going to use a simple common power tool
only a couple times a year, get the Harbor Freight model.

I've got their 4 speed, AC powered rotary hand tool kit,
and it's worked perfectly for over a decade.
IF I was going to use it all the time, I'd invest in a Dremel.

I needed an orbital palm sander last week for a one-off
home repair job.
Got one from HF for $10.99 +tax that worked GREAT.
(And I thought I was gonna hand sand a 4" X 6" X 8'
piece of lumber by HAND? To be painted? What was I smoking?) Grin

I use a temperature controlled soldering iron almost
every day, so I have a lot of money invested in a Weller
soldering station. If I used it once a month, I'd get a cheapo.
It's not rocket science.

K3GM

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2013, 04:52:11 AM »

Harbor Freight.... I think of them as disposable tools, or tools you can lose and not feel guilty about.
K0CBA

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2013, 08:10:15 AM »

Its all C.C.C.    Cheap Chinese Crap!
KB2FCV

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2013, 10:35:42 AM »

For "oddball" tools you might need to only use once or twice... it's great. I'll use them if I can't find a specific "oddball" tool to borrow.
NO9E

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2013, 05:21:05 AM »

I bought their clamps. All of them failed at low torque. Imagine what could have happened if used in an antenna. Save $5, lose $1000.
Ignacy, NO9E
N0MKC

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2013, 10:33:07 AM »

A Hazard Fraught flyer...

http://www.flutterby.com/images/2012/10/01/hf_tool_sale.pdf

(Credit due to Mad Magazine...)
K5WLR

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2013, 10:36:35 AM »

A Hazard Fraught flyer...

http://www.flutterby.com/images/2012/10/01/hf_tool_sale.pdf

(Credit due to Mad Magazine...)

Cute!  Shocked
KK4RCV

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2013, 01:13:23 AM »

I have similar comments to what everyone else has posted -- You paid how much and expect it to last how long?

I go there ONLY when I want something truly disposable that I don't care about.  There's been more than a few times when the tools were just barely good enough to make it through the day, but that's all I needed them for.  It's great for situations where I've flown into an area and won't be taking them back due to the TSA / ramp rats' sticky fingers.
RENTON481

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2013, 03:14:50 AM »

I've had no problems with the Harbor Freight tools I've bought, although most of them have been wrenches and other hand tools -- all made in Taiwan, not China.  Can't speak for any other stuff from there.
K7RNO

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2013, 07:30:03 PM »

Harbor Freight? Be afraid!

aRNO
NAQCC #6870, SKCC #11131
Pages: [1] 2 3 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: