The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: HARBOR FREIGHT  (Read 32122 times)
KE4JOY

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2013, 01:52:17 PM »

Complaining about the 'quality' of Harbor Freight tools, esp something like drill bits, is like complaining about the fries at McDonalds.  Grin
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2013, 02:18:51 PM »

I purchased a big floor model disk sander from Harbor Freight. It was so out of balance that it walked across the garage floor when I turned it on. I never could use it and it wasn't worth paying shipping to return it. At the same time I got a floor model band saw that works just fine and has been used many times. Harbor Freight is like a box of chocolates - you never know what you are going to get.  Cheesy

Bob  AA4PB
Garrisonville, VA
K7RNO

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2013, 02:57:05 PM »

I purchased a big floor model disk sander from Harbor Freight. It was so out of balance that it walked across the garage floor when I turned it on.

Duh, that was by design. Floor sander! Get it?

Like the Roomba vacuum  Grin

aRNO
NAQCC #6870, SKCC #11131
K2OWK

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2013, 03:41:19 PM »

I am lucky I have a Harbor Freight store just about a mile from my house. I have purchased a wire welder, a motorcycle stand, an 18 volt drill. Many hand tools screwdrivers, torque wrenches, Vernier Calipers, and so on. The only item returned was my first battery hand drill because of a recall (I had no trouble with it). I have not had any problems with any of the items I purchased. They all work as they should and are very reasonably priced and reliable. The one high quality tool I purchased, a screwdriver from Snap-On failed within the first year. The handle dissolved and fell apart. They have a lifetime warrentee, but try to find a Snap-On dealer or a Snap-On tool truck. It is almost impossible. I could have bought 6 or seven Harbor Freight screwdrivers for the price of that one Snap-On. Other then a professional mechanic who uses tools on a daily bases. I have no problem with recommending Harbor Freight no mater where there tools are made.

This is just my opinion.

73s

K2OWK
K7RNO

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2013, 04:01:18 PM »

They have a lifetime warrentee, but try to find a Snap-On dealer or a Snap-On tool truck. It is almost impossible.

I see their trucks at car dealers a lot. If you still need to get it replaced, check with your dealer about when they expect the next visit.

aRNO
NAQCC #6870, SKCC #11131
KE4DRN

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: August 04, 2013, 09:53:51 PM »

hi,

Snap-On warranty info with toll free number and email

http://www1.snapon.com/display/termsofsale.nws

73 james
KJ4FUU

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: August 05, 2013, 10:52:08 AM »

A few years back, I had the misfortune of buying a hole punch set from HF. It looked complete. However, when I had to punch a 1/4" hole, I found that while the punch SAID 1/4", it was actually 5/16", so it didn't fit. I sent them an e-mail asking for a REAL 1/4" punch, and was told that it was too late, the warranty had expired. Things went downhill from there. After I told them to remove my e-mail address from their lists and never bother me again, and that to say it was my fault for not using every size just to make sure everything was OK before the warranty period was the nadir of customer service, and that I was just going to donate this set to the club and buy an american-made set, they decided to send me a replacement set. I refused delivery.

Finally, they started dunning me for the amount of the refund they had issued me, and never delivered! Of course, the collection agency was offshore.

I guess it's like chinese vacuum tubes. You have to buy several to get one that works.

I will never deal with them again.

--Tom
KD8MJR

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: August 05, 2013, 01:58:18 PM »

On a serious note, companies like Harbor Freight and all the other really cheap Chinese companies are a complete disaster for the environment.  They use almost the same amount of Raw materials and fuel to make a super cheap product that last days rather than years like a proper product!  If we keep going down this path of disposable merchandise we are going to rip through the planets resources in years not decades.

If you think this is just tree hugging or unimportant, consider this.  Instead of Demand for product X dropping because everyone who wants one has one, the demand for product X stays steady because everyones product X keeps failing and needing replacing.  Therefore the demand for the Raw materials keep getting higher and most of those materials are petroleum based Aka Plastics. So the end result Contributes heavily to what we see now, an ever rising increasing price in fossil fuels.

“A lie can travel half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes.”  (Mark Twain)
N3HFS

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: August 05, 2013, 02:46:41 PM »

...I sent them an e-mail asking for a REAL 1/4" punch, and was told that it was too late, the warranty had expired.
...I was just going to donate this set to the club and buy an american-made set
...they decided to send me a replacement set. I refused delivery.
...Finally, they started dunning me for the amount of the refund they had issued me, and never delivered! Of course, the collection agency was offshore

I'm having difficulty following this saga.  You say they replaced your punch but you (for some reason) refused to take it, so they charged you for something after that?  Where did the "refund" come into play, and why would you complain about that when you refused a replacement that might've corrected the problem?

Emotions can understandably play a part in one's dealings with customer service (poor or not), but to ding a company when the details are this confusing is...well, at minimum, incongruous perhaps?
KJ4FUU

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: August 06, 2013, 10:38:28 AM »

...I sent them an e-mail asking for a REAL 1/4" punch, and was told that it was too late, the warranty had expired.
...I was just going to donate this set to the club and buy an american-made set
...they decided to send me a replacement set. I refused delivery.
...Finally, they started dunning me for the amount of the refund they had issued me, and never delivered! Of course, the collection agency was offshore

I'm having difficulty following this saga.  You say they replaced your punch but you (for some reason) refused to take it, so they charged you for something after that?  Where did the "refund" come into play, and why would you complain about that when you refused a replacement that might've corrected the problem?

Emotions can understandably play a part in one's dealings with customer service (poor or not), but to ding a company when the details are this confusing is...well, at minimum, incongruous perhaps?

1.) I asked for a replacement part. They refused, saying it was out of warranty. I ONLY wanted a true 1/4" punch.

2.) I told them the product was defective from the start, and that I was going to buy another set elsewhere, and never to e-mail me again.

3.) I ordered the US manufactured set (at double the cost).

4.) They (HF) sent me an e-mail letting me know that the replacement set was on the way. BTW, your statement "a replacement that MIGHT'VE corrected the problem" is key here. They wanted me to send the defective set back (at my expense, of course). This was without prior notification, as the last communication I had from them was no, it was out of warranty.

5.) When the set arrived, I refused delivery. HF now thought I had the original set, and the replacement set, even though their shipping department had the package marked "refused". They assumed that I had given them a bad address. It got complicated after that, but they apparently issued a refund check but never shipped it, because the address was now marked in their database as bad. However, the finance department assumed I had the check and both sets of punches. I had to tell the collections guy that I didn't have their check or their replacement set, and to go pound sand and never darken my mailbox with one of their offers ever again. I told him that I was going to donate the defective set, and that I had learned my lesson about buying CCC, and would try in the future to never do that again.

If they had merely sent me a 1/4" punch, none of this would have happened.

BTW, the US made punch is top quality. And beware of amazon.com; a lot of their merchandise is CCC and that fact isn't mentioned in the item descriptions.

-- Tom
KJ4RWH

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: December 31, 2013, 03:19:57 PM »

A Hazard Fraught flyer...

http://www.flutterby.com/images/2012/10/01/hf_tool_sale.pdf

(Credit due to Mad Magazine...)

That took both time and a great sense of humor! Wonderful!!!
KH6DC

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: December 31, 2013, 04:03:58 PM »

Most of their stuff is made in china.  I just bought bits from Montana Tools, 100% Made in USA, in Montana.

http://www.montanabrandtools.com/

73 and Aloha,
de Delwyn, KH6DC
K7RNO

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: December 31, 2013, 04:04:39 PM »

Most of their stuff is made in china.  I just bought bits from Montana Tools, 100% Made in USA, in Montana.

http://www.montanabrandtools.com/

But can it pick your ear wax?

aRNO
NAQCC #6870, SKCC #11131
REMOVED_ACCOUNT_2015-01-09

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: December 31, 2013, 04:35:21 PM »

So that is what happened to those WW2 Battleships they sold to China!
W4KYR

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: December 31, 2013, 05:21:36 PM »

I liked that ad...the Manual Chain Saw looks interesting.  Cheesy
http://www.flutterby.com/images/2012/10/01/hf_tool_sale.pdf

Like others have said, their tools are disposable. But I never really had any problems with the stuff they sell except for two of their "free" (with coupon) LED flashlights that were DOA right out of the package, but the other ones work fine.

HF has an OK selection of solar power related equipment. While they don't carry high end durable solar panels, HF is a place you can just drive to and pick up a solar panel or two just to get started in alternative power. They also sell charge controllers, gel battery, other types of solar panels and also several inexpensive inverters.

Meijer started selling solar related equipment as well under the Schumacher brand. They are a Midwest based supermarket/department store chain. They have solar panels (including a roll up flexible panel), a charge controller and several inverters in their auto department. The 7 amp charge controller sold by HF and Meijer are the same one, except the Meijer charge controller has the Schumacher name on it.

I often found that the items in HF's newspaper and magazine coupon ads are less expensive  than whats in that free flyer they send out by mail. They have had 25% off coupons in their newspaper and magazine ads for several months now.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2013, 05:24:23 PM by W4KYR » Logged

The internet and cellphone networks are great until they go down, what then? Find out here. 
https://www.eham.net/ehamforum/smf/index.php/topic,111948.0.html

Using Windows 98 For Packet...
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: