Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 4 5 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Monitoring amateur radio transmissions  (Read 24357 times)
KE7TMA

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2013, 01:15:45 AM »

If I was a NSA monitor and I had to listen and filter thru all the nonsense heard on the local repeaters I'd probably shove a knitting needle in my ears just to make myself deaf.

Surely the NSA has never heard of keyword recognition and speech to text.
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2013, 06:39:58 AM »

If I was a NSA monitor and I had to listen and filter thru all the nonsense heard on the local repeaters I'd probably shove a knitting needle in my ears just to make myself deaf.

I hope that was meant in jest.  Supercomputers do the actual listening, all the monitors do is review the captures.  Still, I think the monitors do sometimes go nuts listening to the results!
WN2C

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: July 04, 2013, 09:14:24 AM »

bottom line... if you have nothing to hide, you have nothing to fear.

Didn't some people say the same thing during the mid 30's in Russia and Germany.

Rick  WN2C
G3RZP

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: July 04, 2013, 11:45:33 AM »

Rick,

Don't confuse cherished opinions by stating facts.....
N6PJB

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: July 04, 2013, 02:08:03 PM »

That's exactly right! Grin

Didn't some people say the same thing during the mid 30's in Russia and Germany.

Rick  WN2C
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: July 05, 2013, 10:52:00 AM »

Here's the NSA dilemma:  Most people have no idea how communications intelligence is gathered so when they listen and believe what the news media feeds them, they go screaming off in all directions at once.

However, if the NSA explains to people how communications intelligence is gathered, then the bad guys find ways to circumvent this.  Wars and battles have been won and lost because of this.

This whole thing unraveled recently because of a damn traitor (my opinion - no flames please) and a setting administration that has shown they have no problem using the IRS or any other powerful government entity for their own personal influence and control.

And because of this I'm afraid people are going to die!

KE7TMA

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: July 05, 2013, 03:34:46 PM »

I hope that was meant in jest.  Supercomputers do the actual listening, all the monitors do is review the captures.  Still, I think the monitors do sometimes go nuts listening to the results!

Yes, it was meant in jest.  There is a use for the Spanish language upside-down exclamation mark as a sarcasm indicator, and I should probably use it!

Here it is:  ยก (not a small i although depending on your font it may look identical).
KE7TMA

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: July 05, 2013, 03:36:03 PM »

That's exactly right! Grin

Rick  WN2C

Oh will we learn from history?  "If you have nothing to hide, you have nothing to fear" is a fundamentally anti-American attitude and it scares the hell out of me when seemingly normal people say things like this.  We are through the looking glass here people.
KE7TMA

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: July 05, 2013, 03:39:06 PM »

Here's the NSA dilemma:  Most people have no idea how communications intelligence is gathered so when they listen and believe what the news media feeds them, they go screaming off in all directions at once.

However, if the NSA explains to people how communications intelligence is gathered, then the bad guys find ways to circumvent this.  Wars and battles have been won and lost because of this.

This whole thing unraveled recently because of a damn traitor (my opinion - no flames please) and a setting administration that has shown they have no problem using the IRS or any other powerful government entity for their own personal influence and control.

And because of this I'm afraid people are going to die!

The NSA director has been caught outright lying to congress twice now.  He excused himself by saying that he gave the "least untruthful" answer he could.

If a few spooks die because the NSA has vastly exceeded its legal authority and violated the supreme law of the land, this is a very small price to pay AND IT IS ENTIRELY THE NSA'S FAULT IF THEY DO DIE.  The integrity of the Republic is a bit more important than running spooks and tapping communications.

Hiding behind the cloak of national security is a common tactic these days, especially if the activities are illegal.  This is no longer a credible excuse for the violation of the supreme law of the land, and I feel that it borders on treason.
KE3WD

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: July 05, 2013, 04:12:10 PM »

This just spotted on a recent protest sign: 

"NSA -- The ONLY branch of government that actually listens to the people!"

K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: July 05, 2013, 08:28:28 PM »

If a few spooks die because the NSA has vastly exceeded its legal authority and violated the supreme law of the land, this is a very small price to pay AND IT IS ENTIRELY THE NSA'S FAULT IF THEY DO DIE.  The integrity of the Republic is a bit more important than running spooks and tapping communications.

TMA:  I never comment on someone's intelligence or lack thereof, but in your case I'm going to make an exception. 

You're an idiot!  The chances of an NSA spook dying is slim to none.  Who is going to die is you, your relative or some other American citizen.  Most likely a hellova lot of them!

That's who's going to die!! Angry

KE7TMA

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: July 05, 2013, 10:12:45 PM »

If a few spooks die because the NSA has vastly exceeded its legal authority and violated the supreme law of the land, this is a very small price to pay AND IT IS ENTIRELY THE NSA'S FAULT IF THEY DO DIE.  The integrity of the Republic is a bit more important than running spooks and tapping communications.

TMA:  I never comment on someone's intelligence or lack thereof, but in your case I'm going to make an exception.  

You're an idiot!  The chances of an NSA spook dying is slim to none.  Who is going to die is you, your relative or some other American citizen.  Most likely a hellova lot of them!

That's who's going to die!! Angry

Hardly.  I am more likely to be killed by lightning or killer bees than terrorists.  The chance of death by terrorist is so small that it can safely be discounted from all calculations.

Anyway I am less afraid of a couple of bumbling extremists than I am of a government that has decided it can violate the Constitution and declare American citizens "enemy combatants" in a secret kangaroo court and sentence them to death without the chance to hear the charges against them or defend themselves in court.

Hearing people who are theoretically intelligent enough to pass a ham radio licensing exam spout the incredible, flack lackey nonsense that you have decided to display here makes me weep for the future.

I'm sure you will believe what you want, but those who would trade liberty for security deserve neither.

This is how we will see the death of America - not with a bang but with a simper.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2013, 10:31:11 PM by KE7TMA » Logged
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: July 06, 2013, 09:35:11 AM »

TMA:  I rest my case on points made.
KE7TMA

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: July 06, 2013, 09:38:32 AM »

TMA:  I rest my case on points made.

You have no case.
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: July 06, 2013, 09:49:48 AM »

Agree with KE7TMA in total.  This administration (really started by the previous one) has gone way beyond the intents of the founding fathers of this country.  The rest of the world doesn't see us as the legitimate champions of freedom and liberty that we used to be.  The United States of America is becoming--to a lot of the world at least--a variation of the old Soviet Union.  Our own citizens are being oppressed and their freedoms are disappearing--bit by bit.

The reason for it--that the leaders of this country are afraid of their enemies--would be ludicrous if the United States would stop sticking its nose into other countries business!  The world is a very different place than it was during the time that the US was considered the world's policeman.  Just because we're the most powerful country on this earth doesn't give us the right to tell everyone else on the world how to live.  If the government would only realize that, act accordingly, and mind its own business in regards to what doesn't concern us, just maybe we would not need all of those precautions against terrorists and people who disagree with us, simply because we wouldn't be seen as the world's bully--as we are now.
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 4 5 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: