Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Radio Trade?  (Read 2922 times)
KI4SJU

Ignore
« on: June 24, 2013, 04:51:09 PM »

Hi everyone, I need some of your thoughts about a radio trade I am looking at. I have a Mint Icom 756ProII. I have been offered several radios and wanted to know which one you guys recommend. I have been offered a Tentec Jupiter with Tentec Power Supply and Tentec desk mic. , Yaesu FT-450AT, Yaesu FT-897D with LDG Tuner and Meter, Yaesu FT-950 and a Yaesu 847. Which one would be the better radio?

Thanks in advanced...

KI4SJU
KE3WD

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2013, 05:42:37 PM »

Since I'm first and foremost a CW nut, anything with TenTec on it interests me more. 

But a ham who is into SSB and wants a radio that can be made to go anywhere...

But only YOU can decide which rig you should trade for. 

Hit the web, peruse the downloadable manuals, find out the features of the different radios, lurk some forums in an effort to find out whatever you can in the way of specifics, etc. 

Man, that's part of the FUN of the thing. 

AE4RV

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2013, 09:06:37 AM »

I wouldn't trade a Pro II for any of those radios.
KE3WD

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2013, 12:09:21 PM »

Good point. 
K7MH

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2013, 08:42:40 PM »

Neither would I.

Why would you want to??
TANAKASAN

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2013, 09:15:17 PM »

I'd keep the Icom as well.

Tanakasan
SWL2002

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2013, 03:48:24 AM »

Hi everyone, I need some of your thoughts about a radio trade I am looking at. I have a Mint Icom 756ProII. I have been offered several radios and wanted to know which one you guys recommend. I have been offered a Tentec Jupiter with Tentec Power Supply and Tentec desk mic. , Yaesu FT-450AT, Yaesu FT-897D with LDG Tuner and Meter, Yaesu FT-950 and a Yaesu 847. Which one would be the better radio?

Thanks in advanced...

KI4SJU

Keep the ICOM, some dishonest Ham is trying to take advantage of you.
N0IU

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2013, 03:57:59 AM »

I am with the others who say keep the ProII.

Many years ago, I sold a first generation 756 Pro and bought a Ten Tec Jupiter (until I lost it to a lightning hit) and while it is a very capable rig in its own right, you will miss a lot of the features of the ProII.  Besides, the Jupiter is no longer being made. I replaced it with an IC-7410. I am much happier now!

SWL2002

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2013, 06:42:29 AM »

I am with the others who say keep the ProII.

Many years ago, I sold a first generation 756 Pro and bought a Ten Tec Jupiter (until I lost it to a lightning hit) and while it is a very capable rig in its own right, you will miss a lot of the features of the ProII.  Besides, the Jupiter is no longer being made. I replaced it with an IC-7410. I am much happier now!

Wow, I missed that TEN TEC discontinued the Jupiter.  I guess the Eagle took its place?
N4KZ

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2013, 01:21:22 PM »

Of the rigs you mentioned, you already have the best of the lot.

73, N4KZ
KB4QAA

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2013, 03:10:41 PM »

I wouldn't trade an IC-576proII.  Ever.  Run it until it dies.  There just isn't enough improvement in newer radios to make it worthwhile.  Any other motivation to trade it would be based on cosmetics or ergonomics.

If you forced me to trade, I would take the Ten Tec.

You could not force me to trade the IC for any of those Yaesu's, even at gunpoint.
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2013, 04:57:20 PM »

Good point. 

None of those rigs are equal to a good pro 3 in value. If you did trade you want some cash too with amount depending on rig.

--------------------------------------
All posted wireless using Win 8.1 RT, a Android tablet using 4G/LTE/WiFi or Sprint Note 3.
N0IU

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2013, 04:31:22 AM »

There just isn't enough improvement in newer radios to make it worthwhile.
I don't know about Kenwood or Yaesu, but one feature of the newer Icoms is the USB connection to the computer. This eliminates the need for an outboard soundcard interface and rig control interface. If you don't want to use FSK RTTY or transmit CW from your PC, one single USB cable is all you need.
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2013, 07:17:54 AM »

I don't know about Kenwood or Yaesu, but one feature of the newer Icoms is the USB connection to the computer. This eliminates the need for an outboard soundcard interface and rig control interface. If you don't want to use FSK RTTY or transmit CW from your PC, one single USB cable is all you need.

Kenwood 590 does this as does new 990 too

--------------------------------------
All posted wireless using Win 8.1 RT, a Android tablet using 4G/LTE/WiFi or Sprint Note 3.
AD6KA

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2013, 05:09:31 PM »

Kenwood 590 does this as does new 990 too

Yeah, I wish my ProII had this feature, instead
of using the CT-17 Level Converter.
Still, I wouldn't trade it for any of the rigs listed
in the original post......No way, Jose.
Ken, AD6KA
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: