Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 [16]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Once again whackers wanna screw up the hobby... Encryption  (Read 147517 times)
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #225 on: November 02, 2013, 06:55:55 AM »

W1MSG: "The Emergency Services Communications system did not Fail, they just didn't have people in those remote areas. "

We see this event differently.  That being the case, for the sake of discussion, let's just say that there is an emergency where the civil communications infrastructure remains (miraculously) intact....

Let's also not confuse purposed, functioning systems in high population areas with systems in areas that are for all intents rural--with little population.  There can be a system in place with relays and repeaters, but if there is a lack of LEOs and or public safety/service personnel in that area, that system can be next to useless.  That could have been the situation in Colorado during the flooding.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2013, 06:59:51 AM by K1CJS » Logged
W7ASA

Ignore
« Reply #226 on: November 05, 2013, 08:41:49 PM »

K1CJS say:  "And here it goes--from one extreme to another."

CORRECT! and as intended to be. (Please see below.)

Because of this resorting to straw man arguments , that is, making up statements which the other person never said, yet claiming that those hams who do volunteer work 'said this or or that',  I decided to do this myself - once - to make that point using an hyperbole of the all-or-nothing, black or white, ("couch potato" OR "whacker") straw man argument which is found too often in what should be a rational and interesting discussion among the fraternity of ham radio operators.  ( - and frankly to have some fun with it. I liked the Oz picture very much).

---

QQQ: If ham volunteers are never needed, then why are we occasionally activated by our State and local governments?
( Provided emergency power, operating space, water, food &etc. )

If hams are not called out in your area - then that's how it is in your area.  I believe you and have never said otherwise as it relates to - you. However, we are "activated" (their term - not mine)  here -rarely- so,  evidently we are needed or at least very strongly wanted on those rare occasions when the situation warrants it. That is how it is here and I have no idea WHY that is such a sore spot for others who do not believe that hams are seen as an asset in many communities. OTOH - in the next county over, they make no use of ham volunteers, using only government and registered NGO support.  To each their own no worries.

73 de Ray
W7ASA ..._ ._

« Last Edit: November 05, 2013, 09:05:03 PM by W7ASA » Logged
KF7VXA

Ignore
« Reply #227 on: December 08, 2013, 03:04:52 PM »

Not sure if I posted this already, but the hospital and EMT's just use "Patient #1, #2 etc." to ID the patients, then they can say anything they want about a patient and then figure it out when the patient arrives at the hospital, no encryption needed.
HIPPA not violated.

73's John KF7VXA
Pages: Prev 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 [16]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: