Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Once again whackers wanna screw up the hobby... Encryption  (Read 140858 times)
KD8GTP

Ignore
« Reply #180 on: September 25, 2013, 01:48:14 PM »

CJS,
From your response I think you Sir are the wacker as well. Can we please get a pic of your emergency response vehicle?
Maybe one of you in your orange vest ?
GOD Bless
W6EM

Ignore
« Reply #181 on: September 26, 2013, 04:43:37 AM »

K1CJS is most definitely not a Wacker.  Most Wackers have a penchant for bragging about how they've helped in the last fifteen local exercises.  Whether true or not.  Probably not.

Also, they like to brag openly about their "mobiles," with capabilities and pictures, etc., with tales of light bars, sirens, magnetic sign placads for the doors, etc.  No need to ask.  They have avatars and such displaying the pride in their creations.  Most already have /\/\ gear with encryption capability installed at the ready.  Saw one at a recent ham fest.  Black Crown Victoria Police Interceptor surplus vehicle, with antennas and call plates and looked inside to confirm it wasn't a LEO.

K1CJS has posted rational, reasonable material here.  Plus, from reading his posts, it's obvious he's far beyond 1st grade English grammar.

W1MSG

Ignore
« Reply #182 on: September 27, 2013, 02:59:36 AM »

Ah yes at the Hamfest. Reminds me of a little incident that happened at NEARFest a couple years ago. I meet up with a group twice a year at NEARFest. We all know each other pretty well and have a good time. Well one of the guys went out for dinner and came back around 10:30pm, when he drove in he went past the area where the whacker congregate. I guess they didn't like his speed and started yelling at him to slow down, he stopped and some words were exchanged. Not sure what the exchange was but I'm pretty sure he told them a thing or two.

Well shortly after a group of us were walking around checking out the nightly activities when another group passed us, as they did one of them yelled out Thats him with the white shirt. Well upon hearing that my friend goes over to them and asks what the problem is and they start in on him about speeding. A couple of them were obviously a bit impaired, especially this one big guy wearing a traffic vest. Lets just say it started to get out of hand, we attempted to walk away and they kept at it, following along. At one point enough was enough and the big guy was shown a Badge and told to walk away or it would not end well, eventually they did walk away. I must also add there was this one little guy that kept his distance and was egging the whole thing on.
Anyway we went on our way, we stopped at the building where there was some live music. While walking back to our area we meet up with one of the Deerfield Police, young guy, very polite, and he asks us whats going on. Well the little guy was again hiding in the shadows yelling show him your fake badge, hehehe, well the officer was quite surprised when he found out he was talking with 2 Federal Officers and a Maine Police Officer in our group. We chatted for a few minutes and were on our way. In the background we could hear him tell junior, they are exactly who they say they are and you need to call it a night... Most fun I have ever had at a Hamfest. 
N0YXB

Ignore
« Reply #183 on: September 27, 2013, 09:19:58 AM »

CJS,
From your response I think you Sir are the wacker as well. Can we please get a pic of your emergency response vehicle?
Maybe one of you in your orange vest ?
GOD Bless

You haven't been around eHAM long if you believe CJS is a whacker. 
Namaste,
KB8VUL

Ignore
« Reply #184 on: September 29, 2013, 12:57:04 PM »

Don't waste your time.  I know more about Bessel and Fourier than you ever will.

Gee you sound pretty sure of yourself there.

I bet your the best Micor guy in the country and can tune a MoTrac 70 with his eyes closed right....

The least you could do is get the old nomenclature right.  Motracs were just Motracs.  The next ones were the Mocom 70.  Then, I think it was the Mitrek.  Then, Micor's turn.  Then MCX.  Then Mostar.  Then Maxtrac.  Then Maratrac. Then Spectra.  Whew, out of breath.  Then, along came Icahn and cell phones and it all got crazy.

Guess I should go turn in my keys to the shop van and go back to doing computers. 
Gee wait, most of the newer radio systems actually rely on computers to run.
So I know computers and know RF and even which end of a soldering iron gets hot. 
You sit here and continue to pontificate your greatness there bub.... I will continue getting paid for mine.
Nah, don't turn in anything.  Good luck with your van work. 

Well, if you are / were in the two-way industry I can't see how these ARES hard liners can't drive you nuts with their idiocy.  How their ham radios on similar frequencies are so much better than the stuff issued to police and fire and how the communications coordinators are fools and hams are so much better equip to deal with communications in times of a disaster.  Personally I read this crap and my head want's to explode.  I have been to 911 centers during minor disasters like when the hurricane force winds came ripping through central Ohio.  Comms were effected, sure.  That's why I was out working.  We lost telephone lines interconnecting sites, lost the main link to the tower from dispatch.  I disabled the lost sited, and the sheriff ran on control stations until the telco got the lines fixed.  At one point the officers were communicating on car to car channels (simplex) but things got done.  People got taken care of and no one died that I can recall, at least from lack of emergency response.  The hams were giving out info on where you could buy ICE and fuel.  Now, that was useful information don't get me wrong.  But at no time were the hams out in the police cars providing comms for public safety.  And I don't know that has ever happened in the last 10 years anyplace. 

Point is that there are things that can be communicated by ham radio.  And those things are important.  But the idea of this "When All else fails" thing is a farce and falling into the league trap of being able to save the world with ham radio is comical at best and has a strong possibility of being VERY dangerous.
KB8VUL

Ignore
« Reply #185 on: October 04, 2013, 07:22:04 PM »

Now, ultimately this thread was on the topic of encryption.  So lets get back to that.  Rules say no.  A recent attempt at a report and order said no.  Seems the short answer here is NO.  Now, if you have a burning itch, there is a cream for that. 

Look at it like this.
To run encryption you are going to need a few things.
First is radios that support it.  They are all high tier Motorola's, Harris, Thales and other high dollar brands.
Basic used radio is going to set you back $300 at minimum.
Then you need encryption boards and carriers for them to install them.  Looking at another $100 per radio.
Don't forget that you will need to have the radio flash upgraded so the firmware supports encryption.
Cost varies from 300 to 1000 bucks.

Lastly you need a key loader.  $400ish will fill need.

Once you figure it all out and apply the keys to all the radios that need keys you are in business, for about $2000
So the solution to running secure on ham.... Don't.  You are in at $2000 buy in.  Hedge your bets, file for a commercial license and get a frequency that you can legally operate your encrypted radios on and be done with it.

Conversely you could contact your EMA director and get them to authorize you on one of the FEMA freqs that are specifically for a disaster or another EMA licensed freq and you have the radios programmed to those frequencies.  You are then fully covered.  You can talk encrypted to your hearts content and do so legally. 

W7ASA

Ignore
« Reply #186 on: October 04, 2013, 09:07:21 PM »

Oooooh, no need to pay any money to add strong encryption capability for a ham who already operates sound card DIGImodes.

To send/receive a LOT of strongly encrypted messages over radio quite easily, all that is needed is:

1.  A normal computer.

2.  FREEware like WINMOR (for example).

3.  Install PGP compatible FREEware onto the computer and follow the simple instructions to encipher/decipher your messages.  

4.  Send/receive the resulting file(s) through your transceiver using the soundcard like any other data file.  

Data is data. The PGP encryption will work fine for any file which could be sent over internet, because WINMOR is a full error correction mode. Sure, long files will be slower than internet because radio transfer rate is lower. PGP is perfectly fine for this application. Standard packet can do this easily on VHF/UHF links while the WINMOR software is excellent on HF and can of course be used also on VHF/UHF.

UNFORTUNATELY, THIS IS PRESENTLY ILLEGAL IN THE "LAND OF THE FREE & etc."
Politicians have done everything in their power to see that that they and those who work
for them are allowed to communicate privately over radio. However, they become highly
agitated when mere human beings communicate privately. So kids, if you try this,
very soon, many LARGE men with no necks (and some LARGE women with no necks)
WILL show-up at your radio station . . .

Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry
 Angry Angry                 Angry Angry Angry
 Angry Angry       Shocked       Angry Angry Angry

. . . and it will go down hill rapidly from there. "Film at 11".

de Ray
W7ASA ..._ ._

« Last Edit: October 04, 2013, 09:24:42 PM by W7ASA » Logged
KD8GTP

Ignore
« Reply #187 on: October 05, 2013, 06:02:15 AM »

This thread is getting old.  We need something new.  Hey, I know !  Why don't you wackers tell us why you should carry a gun when out doing your orange vest crap.  Let me get some popcorn and let's get this new topic going Smiley
N3HFS

Ignore
« Reply #188 on: October 05, 2013, 06:37:46 AM »

Politicians have done everything in their power to see that that they and those who work
for them are allowed to communicate privately over radio. However, they become highly
agitated when mere human beings communicate privately. So kids, if you try this,
very soon, many LARGE men with no necks (and some LARGE women with no necks)
WILL show-up at your radio station . . .

Angry Angry       Shocked       Angry Angry Angry

. . . and it will go down hill rapidly from there. "Film at 11".

de Ray
W7ASA ..._ ._
My view has been that amateur radio is kept free of encryption because of the need to enforce rules about its purpose and use.  Once hams start to send encrypted transmissions, others would be unable to determine whether the transmission was in the furtherance of a business (for example). 

Unrestricted encrypted traffic from amateur operators would doubtless lead to exploitation of ham frequencies for purposes outside of the scope of ham radio.  After all, who doesn't want high power, free licenses, and plenty of bands and bandwidth?
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #189 on: October 05, 2013, 08:00:14 AM »

My view has been that amateur radio is kept free of encryption because of the need to enforce rules about its purpose and use.  Once hams start to send encrypted transmissions, others would be unable to determine whether the transmission was in the furtherance of a business (for example). 

Unrestricted encrypted traffic from amateur operators would doubtless lead to exploitation of ham frequencies for purposes outside of the scope of ham radio.  After all, who doesn't want high power, free licenses, and plenty of bands and bandwidth?

You've got the main reason that the hams aren't allowed encryption on the ham bands at all.  Too bad that these people who want change can't realize that.
W7ASA

Ignore
« Reply #190 on: October 05, 2013, 03:29:54 PM »

N3HFS -

I appreciate you views - really!

I was neither saying 'let's do it' nor 'let's not'.  However, the TECHNICAL question of how to have strong encryption over radio, using a very average ham station for zero dollars - that is what I was addressing. The odds of this proposal ever passing were slightly lower than the odds of Bill Clinton being a virgin: no chance.

Back to twisting wires for me.  I'm rebuilding a cool little radio transceiver!

73 de Ray
W7ASA ..._ ._

WB6DGN

Ignore
« Reply #191 on: October 06, 2013, 12:43:58 AM »

Why don't you wackers tell us why you should carry a gun when out doing your orange vest crap.  Let me get some popcorn and let's get this new topic going

I have observed that most of the disrespectful, ill-tempered replies to this thread, and others which cover controversial subjects (with one notable exception),  seem to come from 8-land. Wonder if there's a connection there?  Gotta admit, I've found no shortage of the same types in day-to-day encounters.  Wonder if its the water?
Tom
« Last Edit: October 06, 2013, 12:53:06 AM by WB6DGN » Logged
KD8GTP

Ignore
« Reply #192 on: October 06, 2013, 06:24:37 AM »

Why don't you wackers tell us why you should carry a gun when out doing your orange vest crap.  Let me get some popcorn and let's get this new topic going

I have observed that most of the disrespectful, ill-tempered replies to this thread, and others which cover controversial subjects (with one notable exception),  seem to come from 8-land. Wonder if there's a connection there?  Gotta admit, I've found no shortage of the same types in day-to-day encounters.  Wonder if its the water?
Tom

Great to hear from you Tom,
Can we get a pic of your emergency response vehicle, Please?
And tell me, why do you feel the need to be armed when doing your orange vest thing? I appreciate your right to own a firearm but why the need to carry when doing 'orange vest' work? 
W1JKA

Ignore
« Reply #193 on: October 06, 2013, 08:18:45 AM »

Re: KD8GDP  reply #192

Perhaps WB6GDN doesn't want to go through the hassle of disconnecting his dash mount camera to take a picture of his rig (response vehicle)  and anyone carrying a firearm may have a Vested interest (orange or otherwise) in protecting their ASSets. Jeesh, where the hell is this thread going?

« Last Edit: October 06, 2013, 08:35:15 AM by W1JKA » Logged
WB6DGN

Ignore
« Reply #194 on: October 06, 2013, 05:25:42 PM »

GTP, thanks for confirming my observations.

JKA,  no, don't have a dashcam.  Haven't found a way to mount it on the handlebars yet (don't own a vehicle).  Besides, it gets in the way of the siren/pa switches and the computer.  Tried mounting it on the tin-foil hat but the reflections from the fluorescent green vest cause flares in the images so they're not useable.  Also, don't own a "rig".  I do have a bicycle and a radio, though (I don't speak "hamspeak", plain old English has always worked well for me).  By the way, does anyone know of a smaller high capacity battery that won't get in the way of the pedals?  That siren uses a lot of juice while "in pursuit" and the old lead-acid battery just don't hack it.  Also, I need to get a smaller antenna!  That 102" whip sometimes causes the "response vehicle" to tip over in a tight corner!  Kinda rough on the knees, you know!  Another thing, where can I get a badge that doesn't rust after a few weeks?  Ordered the last one from some guy in Hong Kong (I think, maybe it was Beijing) but not good quality.  Besides, he spelled "rescue" lescue.  Sure don't want to appear "amateurish" !

Sure is nice to find a group that tries to be so helpful.  I will be coming here often to get more advice.  I know I can count on this group to set me straight!

Tom
Pages: Prev 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15 16 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: