Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Vanity call pileup  (Read 10959 times)
KA8SEP

Ignore
« on: June 26, 2013, 08:17:53 PM »

As a newly minted extra, I thought I would get a 1by2 call. so I waited for the appropriate day and put in my app.

I look at the prediction page over at vanityhq and 3 other people want it. OK, I still have a 25% chance at getting it. then a couple of days later theirs 6 people who want another call I don't feel as bad, but just wish the decision day would get here.

Ted - KA8SEP maybe W8PR on July 2nd
W7KB

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2013, 06:12:13 PM »

At about an 17-18 day interval from them receiving your request check the FCC ULS(Universal Licensing System) under your old callsign and if it says dismissed,then you may have been granted the newer requested vanity callsign.Check the callsign you requested and if it says granted,then you are a happy person.Your vanity request will be in a lottery with others that have also requested it,and if you are the lucky one,you own it.Good luck on the results.It took me a few times to be granted mine.It can be a bit frustrating if you miss the cutoff deadline,requirements in application or if it dismissed,but don't give up if at first you don't succeed...73.. From vanity callsign holder W7KB.
K2YO

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2013, 07:31:39 PM »

Unfortunately this goes back to fallacy that ham radio is dying off. There are more hams now than ever and there is a finite number of 1x2 calls.

You might want to contract a service like W5YI to increase your odds of getting to the top of the list.
W3HF

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2013, 04:58:49 AM »

You might want to contract a service like W5YI to increase your odds of getting to the top of the list.
You can pay W5YI to make it easier, but they can't "increase your odds" any more than you can if you understand the system. Websites like VanityHQ and AE7Q can teach you all you need to know.

I'm not trying to say that W5YI doesn't offer a valid service. They already know the system, and only you can decide whether it's worth paying them to save you the time to do something you can do yourself. But W5YI has no "pull" with the FCC in this regard.
K2YO

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2013, 05:22:20 AM »

I concur. In my case, their expertise in working with system was much greater than mine and for what they charged it was not worth my time and effort to get up to the same level of expertise as them. So in my case, they increased the odds for me.

Your mileage may vary.
K9AIM

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2013, 01:35:37 PM »

I have considered going for a shorter call since my upgrade to extra, but this one I got as an advanced is good for CW and seems decent for voice.  I would also want to get a '9' call since I am in the 9 area and old habits die hard.   How much competition is there for really choice calls (how many bids have you seen on a single call)?  Also, what are the drawbacks to changing?

Stephen, nice call btw.   was W3HF difficult to get? 

Are the good 1 x 3 callsigns often overlooked?

N0IU

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2013, 02:18:28 PM »

I concur. In my case, their expertise in working with system was much greater than mine...
Expertise? When you log into the ULS system, you will see your callsign "At A Glance". There is a box to the right of this says, "Work on this License" and within that box there is a link that says (are you sitting down?) "Request Vanity Call Sign". It will walk you through the steps and you should end up at some point in time (it has been a really long time since I have done this so I don't remember the exact process) to Form 159 which is where you actually select the method of paying the FCC.

Now all you have to do is wait!
« Last Edit: July 22, 2013, 02:26:53 PM by N0IU » Logged
W3HF

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2013, 05:22:43 PM »

Stephen, nice call btw. 
Thanks.
was W3HF difficult to get? 

No, but it was a "different time" back in the fall of 2000--rules were different, and the vanity process wasn't as well-known as now. (Gosh, I sound like an old fart!)

The previous W3HF (William Klugh) had been an SK for about three years, but his call had never been cancelled. In fact, he had died only about five months after his last renewal, so the call was going to stay unavailable for almost nine more years unless someone requested the cancellation. (Just under seven of those years were until its natural expiration, and then two more to let any former holder request it. Of course, no former holders were still alive, as Mr. Klugh had received it in 1930!)

Under the rules at the time, I could request its cancellation and apply for it before the cancellation was processed. (That's because an SK cancellation is dated retroactively to the date of death, so the two-year wait is already in the past.) There was some risk that the cancellation might not have processed before my application, but the system worked; the cancellation occurred only a day or two after I requested it. This left plenty of time for the call to appear on "vacant and available" lists, but no one else had applied on the day I did, so there was no competition.

That approach is no longer possible. Under current rules, any callsign cancelled retroactively like that results in an additional 30-day wait so that everyone can know the cancellation has happened, and has a chance to apply. So competitions for the 1x2s are the norm.

Are the good 1 x 3 callsigns often overlooked?

I guess it all depends on your definition of good.  Smiley

People have lots of reasons for requesting vanity calls, and there are lots of 1x3s available.
KA8SEP

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2013, 03:50:45 AM »

Well, I didn't get it.  Sad It went to a club. Do club applications get priority or was it luck of the draw?

Oh well. there will be more chances for other calls.

Ted
W3HF

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2013, 05:29:56 AM »

Do club applications get priority or was it luck of the draw?

Purely luck. In that type of competition, every application has the same chance.

The only priority is when certain applicants can apply earlier than the end of the two-year waiting period. This is limited to former holders (of the call), close relatives of a now-deceased former holder, or an in memoriam application from a club where the now-deceased former holder was a member (with the permission of a close relative of the deceased).
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2013, 05:34:16 AM »

There are plenty of 1x3 calls available.  The chances of getting a 1x2 or even a 2x2 are slim to none.  You take the chance and you sometimes luck out, but most of the time....you lose.

The 1x3 calls are starting to go now, with the ones that are easier to send by code already gone for the most part.  There are still plenty available, however.
KE6CT

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2013, 01:57:51 PM »

As a newly minted extra, I thought I would get a 1by2 call. so I waited for the appropriate day and put in my app.

I look at the prediction page over at vanityhq and 3 other people want it. OK, I still have a 25% chance at getting it. then a couple of days later theirs 6 people who want another call I don't feel as bad, but just wish the decision day would get here.

Ted - KA8SEP maybe W8PR on July 2nd

Three others on vanityhq.  There could be others elsewhere. 
KX8N

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2013, 12:50:45 PM »

When I got KX8N, there were others who had applied for it, but I was the only one who had it as a first choice. That made all the difference. And for some reason nobody before me had wanted this call. I don't know why, as I find it to sound nice and it's even nice on CW.

I solely used VanityHQ. I used them to find the call, got a list of about 10 possibilities with KX8N at the top, sent the list to the FCC electronically, and send payment in by money order. There's really and truly nothing to it.
W3HF

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2013, 02:45:03 PM »

When I got KX8N, there were others who had applied for it, but I was the only one who had it as a first choice. That made all the difference.

With all due respect, no it didn't. The order of choice on a given application does not affect at all who gets the callsign. It is simply based on which application is selected first. You just got lucky.

This is all documented on the VanityHQ, AE7Q, and FCC web sites.

Steve
W3HF

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: