The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Removable face 2 meter suggestions  (Read 17010 times)
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2013, 12:48:32 PM »

As others have said, it seems the only mobiles with detachable face plates are dual-banders. However, even if you only want 2-meters a dual bander can still be quite handy as many have V+V/V+U/U+U capability. If there is only 2-meter activity in your area, you can set the radio to monitor 2 frequencies simultaneously, say one for your favorite repeater and another for the FM simplex calling frequency.

Yes, that can be done--IF the rig is capable of doing it.  Most dual band rigs are not, since that capability has come out only in the past few years.  Just check the rig specs first--before you buy--if you are considering using a dual bander for monitoring two VHF frequencies.  You may save yourself an unpleasant surprise.
K5LXP

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2013, 06:35:07 AM »

Well-said, Mark. I think you won me over. I just put a bunch of watches and a couple leather bags on ebay and will raise money for that nice dual-band Kenwood ....-710 rig. I have until then to ponder the vehical mutilation enhancement. Wink

A 710 should provide quite a useful level of distraction on the daily drive.

I'll echo what K1CJS said, if you've got serious doubts about your ability or tools to do this, there are professional services out there that do this all day long.  I would expect some level of discomfort or concern though, and that's to be expected.  It *is* possible to do some expensive damage if you're not careful, so be careful.  Plan out your install to the finest detail - locations, required hardware, wire routing paths, terminations, required tools, on and on.  Have it all rehearsed and remove all the issues you can forsee before you start, that way you can be completely focused on being deliberate and careful performing the task.

My background includes installing commercial 2-way radios and I understand the butterflies you might get applying a hole saw to the family buggy.  Imagine what that's like when it's a brand new luxury sedan with the anxious owner standing nearby waiting for you to slip up.  After you've done a few dozen (hundred) installs it becomes second nature but you have to start somewhere.  My advice is to take it slow, measure twice and drill once, and if you have any questions at all just get on one of these forums and ask.  Lots of us here that have been through the drill (so to speak).

Mark K5LXP
Albuquerque, NM
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: