Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: N5INP Here after 20 Years Hiatus  (Read 3997 times)
N3HFS

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2013, 10:05:25 AM »

...I have an external antenna operating as of yesterday as I got the PL-259 soldered on the end inside the house. Well, it took me two times because as usual, I forgot to put the shell on the cable first. Idiot. Cut it off and started over. But it's working now....
I always used to do that.  I fixed my own cure, though, and I offer it as a suggestion.  I put a little list together of steps to assemble and/or do for a few of the common things I do. 

Heh!  I can laugh now, but I struggled with that as well...then one day I found that I had put the shell on the coax backwards!  I almost quit hamming that day!
N6AJR

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2013, 12:20:54 PM »

see if you can find a used ( or new if you can afford it) MFJ 259b or mfj 269.  these are antenna analyzers.  so you build your antenna and stick this on the shack end of the coax.  depending on which button pushed, you can get SWR of the antenna, see exactly where it is resonant, you can see the impedance and such, it also can act as a freq counter. very handy.  Also o HF get any of the dual cross needle SWR meters.  these show forward and reverse power and where the needles cross is the swr.  used is OK here too.  see if you can find a local club on the repeater and go check outsome local hams set I too am retreaded" ham  from the late 70's and early 80's. it is much more fun now because you don't have to save up for 2 months to buy a 50 chunk of rg 8.  being older usually means you have more $$ free.  yea !!!!!
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2013, 04:09:08 PM »

I'm not sure--I don't think they're made to stay in line.  At least the ones that I've used don't.  Once you set-up your antenna system and get it to it's optimum, there's no reason to keep it in line anyway.  If there is a reason to check it again--like a meter on the rig showing abnormal readings, it's easy enough to re-hook it and re-check the system.

If you want something to stay in line, I guess a SWR meter is the thing you would want--but it's just another way to lose power, however miniscule that loss may be.
N5INP

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2013, 04:43:27 PM »

... being older usually means you have more $$ free.  yea !!!!!

Thanks for the advice - yea I have some dollars to spend but I want to spend wisely. So far I haven't spent a lot to get going - the little Baofeng was something like $50, and then some coax and a little MFJ outside antenna. I just tested it a few hours ago and talked to a repeater across town and the guy said it was an excellent signal.

I'm not sure--I don't think they're made to stay in line.  At least the ones that I've used don't.  Once you set-up your antenna system and get it to it's optimum, there's no reason to keep it in line anyway.  If there is a reason to check it again--like a meter on the rig showing abnormal readings, it's easy enough to re-hook it and re-check the system.

Yea I just read the manual of a Comet brand and it just connects up to the line and is removed after testing. Quite a neat device, but costs quite a bit at $440. There are cheaper ones though, I'll have to think about that.
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: