Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Alinco out of business?  (Read 8561 times)
W5TAH

Ignore
« on: June 28, 2013, 03:17:18 PM »

GRE, Alinco has moved out of their office on 425 Harbor Blvd, Belmont, Ca. and their phone is disconnected. I would be leery of buying Alinco now.
K4QE

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2013, 05:09:02 AM »

That's a pretty big jump based on little information.

Alinco is not based in the US.  It is a Japanese company with their main office in Osaka.  Their website is alive and well.

Perhaps they moved their US office to a new location.  If they decided to close it, so what?  All they need is a dealership or US based representative to maintain their presence.  Look at companies like Optibeam.  They have no US office, but they do have an exclusive US based distributor.  This is becoming very common.

Please, let's not start an unsubstantiated rumor.  If they are, indeed, out of the ham radio business, I am sure we will hear about it from a reputable source.
N3HFS

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2013, 06:17:20 AM »

The website (http://www.alinco.com/usa.html, under "Parts & Service) states the following:

All warranty service/repairs should be sent to:

GRE America, Inc. (Authorized Alinco Distributor for USA and Canada)
425 Harbor Blvd. Suite B
Belmont, CA 94002

Apparently (from the information given by this thread's OP) this has changed.  However, I can't see this as being a reflection of Alinco's going out of the business, even if only in the USA market.  

GRE America has been having its own share of problems, with many popular models of their scanners (and Radio Shack versions of their scanners) unavailable from production for some time now, based on China factory redevelopment issues.  I think we should look at GRE as the potential problem here.  

However, someone needs to fill GRE's role in doing Alinco's warranty work, and that question remains open.

EDIT:  Here's a statement from GRE America from last October, referencing their continued support of Alinco warranties. 

from http://www.greamerica.com/support/index.php?_m=news&_a=viewnews&newsid=38:

GRE Official Announcement 10/23/2012

October 23, 2012

To our valued Dealers and Customers,

Due to circumstances beyond its control, General Research of Electronics of Japan (GRE)
is temporarily not able to manufacture the GRECOM and Radio Shack branded radio scanners.

The Chinese Government’s plan to redevelop the area where the GRE factory had been in
operation for over ten years finally forced its closure. Anticipating this eventuality,
GRE was in the process of building a new factory but unfortunately the cost of raw materials,
labor and increased taxes created a heavy financial investment burden that could not be
effectively recovered.

GRE America continues to market, support and service the GRECOM branded scanners and is
contractually committed to keep the Library Database updated and current.  GRE America
will continue to market, service and support Alinco’s radio products without any interruption.

We sincerely apologize for this unfortunate turn of events. GRE is proceeding to establish
a contract with a new factory and believes it will be able to restart the manufacturing in
the near future.

For continued sales, service and support, please contact the GRE America office.

Raj Gounder
Director of sales
GRE America, Inc.

Apparently, GRE America's partnership with Alinco was still important to them at that time.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2013, 06:23:31 AM by N3HFS » Logged
WA2CWA

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2013, 11:02:13 AM »

GRE, Alinco has moved out of their office on 425 Harbor Blvd, Belmont, Ca. and their phone is disconnected. I would be leery of buying Alinco now.

If you dial the listed phone number for GRE America  (650) 591-1400, it says it's been changed to (510) 991-0968. A reverse look up for this number does not bring up any information other then it's a land line located in Union City, CA (just South of Oakland, CA) and across the San Francisco Bay from Belmont, CA.

You might have luck contacting GRE America/Alinco through their Contact Form: http://www.greamerica.com/contactalinco.html

Pete, wa2cwa
KE2EB

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2013, 05:53:18 PM »

I have several alinco mono/duel fm rig's 2/440 mtr..all bought new and become 'junk/unoperational' nearly from  arrival onset. eg,,'intermittant on/off,,no lcd frequency
reading(blank screen!) no transmit or recieve(silence!) I will not be 'buying' anymore 'cheap(junker)rigs from alinco. buyer beware..i am a poor operator..i found out the 'hard way' cheap is cheap! and costly in the long run event. bah humbag.73-ke2eb george.ps- i save 'em on my shelve for Proof of my statements. yuk.

N3HFS

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2013, 06:10:35 PM »

I have several alinco mono/duel fm rig's 2/440 mtr..all bought new and become 'junk/unoperational' nearly from  arrival onset.

...ps- i save 'em on my shelve for Proof of my statements. yuk.

Why didn't you return them to the dealer or to Alinco's warranty center for repair?
NW4G

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2013, 08:37:56 PM »

I have several alinco mono/duel fm rig's 2/440 mtr..all bought new and become 'junk/unoperational' nearly from  arrival onset.

...ps- i save 'em on my shelve for Proof of my statements. yuk.

Why didn't you return them to the dealer or to Alinco's warranty center for repair?

Hi Guys!

The word we have is that Alinco is changing distributors in the US and will have the new operations up and going sometime toward the end of this month.

George Howard - NW4G
www.gigaparts.com
N3HFS

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2013, 02:08:05 PM »

I see from the updated www.alinco.com web site that REMTronix is now handling Alinco's warranty support.

I was unable to find a website for REMTronix, but http://www.alinco.com/parts/ seems to have all the necessary answers.
SWL2002

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2013, 02:19:00 PM »

The website (http://www.alinco.com/usa.html, under "Parts & Service) states the following:

All warranty service/repairs should be sent to:

GRE America, Inc. (Authorized Alinco Distributor for USA and Canada)
425 Harbor Blvd. Suite B
Belmont, CA 94002

Apparently (from the information given by this thread's OP) this has changed.  However, I can't see this as being a reflection of Alinco's going out of the business, even if only in the USA market.  

GRE America has been having its own share of problems, with many popular models of their scanners (and Radio Shack versions of their scanners) unavailable from production for some time now, based on China factory redevelopment issues.  I think we should look at GRE as the potential problem here.  

However, someone needs to fill GRE's role in doing Alinco's warranty work, and that question remains open.

EDIT:  Here's a statement from GRE America from last October, referencing their continued support of Alinco warranties. 

from http://www.greamerica.com/support/index.php?_m=news&_a=viewnews&newsid=38:

GRE Official Announcement 10/23/2012

October 23, 2012

To our valued Dealers and Customers,

Due to circumstances beyond its control, General Research of Electronics of Japan (GRE)
is temporarily not able to manufacture the GRECOM and Radio Shack branded radio scanners.

The Chinese Government’s plan to redevelop the area where the GRE factory had been in
operation for over ten years finally forced its closure. Anticipating this eventuality,
GRE was in the process of building a new factory but unfortunately the cost of raw materials,
labor and increased taxes created a heavy financial investment burden that could not be
effectively recovered.

GRE America continues to market, support and service the GRECOM branded scanners and is
contractually committed to keep the Library Database updated and current.  GRE America
will continue to market, service and support Alinco’s radio products without any interruption.

We sincerely apologize for this unfortunate turn of events. GRE is proceeding to establish
a contract with a new factory and believes it will be able to restart the manufacturing in
the near future.

For continued sales, service and support, please contact the GRE America office.

Raj Gounder
Director of sales
GRE America, Inc.

Apparently, GRE America's partnership with Alinco was still important to them at that time.

I don't know about Alinco, but GRE is out of business.  No more scanners from GRE.

N3HFS

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2013, 02:23:25 PM »

Thank you once again for that information.  Is there any source of this information that would make it verifiable, or are you perhaps directly involved with GRE and got this information in that manner? It's hearsay and rumor until a reputable source could be established.
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2013, 06:58:45 PM »

SWL2002, All you're doing is spreading misinformation.  GRE stated it has temporarily ceased production.  It didn't say 'We're not in business any longer.'  AAMOF, it says that they will continue to support their products.
K4PIH

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2013, 07:57:04 AM »

I have several alinco mono/duel fm rig's 2/440 mtr..all bought new and become 'junk/unoperational' nearly from  arrival onset. eg,,'intermittant on/off,,no lcd frequency
reading(blank screen!) no transmit or recieve(silence!) I will not be 'buying' anymore 'cheap(junker)rigs from alinco. buyer beware..i am a poor operator..i found out the 'hard way' cheap is cheap! and costly in the long run event. bah humbag.73-ke2eb george.ps- i save 'em on my shelve for Proof of my statements. yuk.

Strange, I have an Alinco DJ-120 HT that I bought used from Burqhardt back in 1988 and it still works fine. Been through heel and back. OTOH, I had a Yeasu dual bander 930 that was a piece of junk. Everybody makes good and bad.

K1DA

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2013, 03:04:20 PM »

I've got an ALlnco "duel" band handheld which has worked fine for about 15 years. 
SWL2002

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2013, 04:45:03 PM »

SWL2002, All you're doing is spreading misinformation.  GRE stated it has temporarily ceased production.  It didn't say 'We're not in business any longer.'  AAMOF, it says that they will continue to support their products.

K1CJS, just watch and see if GRE ever comes back.  Then we will see who is spreading misinformation.
N3HFS

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2013, 04:50:48 PM »

K1CJS, just watch and see if GRE ever comes back.  Then we will see who is spreading misinformation.
That hardly counts as factual information. You are still only "providing" us with crap.

Perhaps you know something that we don't, but until you reveal the source of your knowledge your postings shall remain as strictly rumor and conjecture.

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE give us a tangible reason to believe you, else just go away.  Personally, I find your sort of "wisdom" - as you continue to spout it - to be misplaced and disrespectful to this forum.
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: