Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: CB vs. Ham Radio - communications and attitudes  (Read 3825 times)
NW7US

Ignore
« on: June 29, 2013, 10:21:33 PM »

This is a video in which I talk about CB radio vs. ham radio. And, attitudes. 

To view the video, click --> Video: CB vs. Ham Radio <-- and then, please comment.  What do you think?

K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2013, 05:23:53 AM »

My opinion?  There will always be some that get their jollies by putting others down.  All the other guy and you are really doing is keeping them going by stringing their prejudices out for more people to see.  Best to just let the matter rest where it really belongs--in the sewer where it came from.  CB is no better or worse than any other radio service, and vice versa.
N3HFS

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2013, 06:50:58 AM »

Watched most of both the original video and your reply.

It sounds like you both came to the same conclusion - that each radio service has its merits and each service's users has its prejudices and problems.

But watching these (as a radio amateur) refreshes my respect for those who would find use and enjoyment from the CB service, which is not a bad thing to have happen from time to time. 
KE3WD

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2013, 07:53:23 AM »

This old ham has talked on the CB bands quite a bit. 

My shack used to tout a CB rig with some sort of decent outdoor antenna, typically a vertical, along with the ham transceivers and such. 

No, never ran illegal power.  But had a few rigs that did not really need to do that at all, the old Whiteface Johnson, the Cobra, a few noteworth sideband offerings. 

Being able to communicate with local CBers I was able to ELMER several of 'em into getting their tickets, ages ranging from one teenager to several guys between that age and older than mine at the time. 

I will never understand the non-logic of created prejudice that we as a people seem to be so incredibly adept at.  <-- Yep, that's a preposition.

N6AJR

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2013, 03:02:22 PM »

I used to be a CB'er and have had a lot of fun there.  this was in the 23 channel days. CB was actually a pretty decent band.  after they went to 40 channels and dumped a half million or so 23 channel rigs into the pot for 5 or 10 bucks each, the CB kind of went into the cesspool pool.  Now I almost never go there, mostly because my daughter and grandson live with me and the CB band is just to vulgar for me to have on.  You also get that here and there on the ham bands, but now where near the level of the children's band.   It ain't the radio, its the folks using it.
KA4NMA

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2013, 06:37:29 PM »

I recently went through training for the Southern Baptist Communication Team, NC chapter. Our communication trailer includes a cb radio.  The explanation was simple.  We need to chat and direct truckers that deliver supplies.

Randy ka4nma
NI3S

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2013, 07:18:06 PM »

Why can't we all just get along?   

It seems as Hams typically have some basic test gear and some even have some electronics knowledge, as a measure of good faith, we should use these skills and gear to help the CBers and perhaps interest them in Amateur Radio.  That said I would not repair or test or tune an illegal amplifier, but tuning antennas and fixing broken rigs sure seems like a decent way to bridge the gap. 

Personally, I don't care about operating CBs, probably never will, but I have fixed a lot stuff for my Jeeping brethren.  A few have gone on to get a tech ticket (and perhaps more by now), so to me it was worth the time.  These are folks that use the CBs to talk on trail rides.  I've never seen an illegal setup, and never heard them use profanity on the radio. 

If the CBers want to complain about me, so what.  The 20wpm Extras do.   Cheesy
KE3WD

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2013, 06:18:07 AM »

Over the years, I've known some dedicated CBers who have at least as much test equipment as I do and there are qwuite a few of them who are quite knowledgeable about radio and such. 

Sure there are also old wives tales and such among them, but I also find the same situation with licensed hams as well.  Yours truly included...

W1JKA

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2013, 07:46:31 AM »

Regardless of what you think about CB'ers in general it's always it's always a good feeling to have a CB, mag mount ant. and a FRS unit tucked away in the trunk of your car for emergency use especially in the more rural and less densely populated states where cell phone coverage is iffy. Truckers, state forest/park service, local county sheriff depts. always have one on some where in the background.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2013, 07:51:50 AM by W1JKA » Logged
KC8Y

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2013, 01:30:24 PM »

I was on the CB when it only had 23-channels...Met two-friends on the channels...that was in the middle 60s...Today, we are all have the Extra Class license, never went back to CB after obtaining our Novice tickets...
ONAIR

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2013, 12:58:56 AM »

Started out with CB back in the late '60s.  Those were the days when you could throw a wire out the window and speak to 20 other CBers within a 10 block radius, all hours of the day and night!  Met quite a few good friends and even had several great romances from it.  Sure there were a lot of kooks and crazies, but that was just part of the fun. Those days are long gone.
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2013, 06:36:47 AM »

Why can't we all just get along? ...   

If the CBers want to complain about me, so what.  The 20wpm Extras do.   Cheesy

Good point!  There is plenty of infighting right here in this service.  There is no need to pull the troubles and problems of the other personal communications services into this one--and start turning a little argument into a comm-wide brawl.
KE3WD

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2013, 03:59:38 PM »

Ham Band, Citizens Band, Aircraft Band, Bidness Band, Maritime, whatever, they are all just two-way radios to me. 

Those who seek some sort of placement in the game by knocking others in the same game likely aren't good players of the game anyway. 

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: