Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: FL-2100Z and FT-897  (Read 1647 times)
M0PDM

Ignore
« on: November 01, 2003, 11:38:37 PM »

Hi,

Looking at using my FT-897 with the FL-2100z linear
and would like to know if anyone has tried this
or what I may have to do.

Thanks,
W9GB

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2003, 05:29:40 PM »

First - get the manuals for both of these pieces of equipment - older amatuer radio equipment is NOT "Plug and Play"

The FT-897 manual should have a section on non-QSK amplifiers.  This manual is available on the Yaesu web site (not easy to find - but the entire English and Spanish verison of manual is there !!)
http://www.yaesu.com/?cmd=DisplayProducts&DivisionID=65&ProdCatID=102

You will need to build cables for proper interfacing.  Ask for assisatnce with your local dealer or amatuer radio club - if you are not techncially inclined - the FL-2100 has high voltage on its rear terminal strip

The FL-2100z has high voltage -- which this trasnceiver can not handle without damage.  An external switching realy OR an internal modification would likely be needed.

Reference sites:

AmpKeyer (external) from The Heathkit Shop
http://www.theheathkitshop.com/ampkeyer.html

Harbach Electronics (closed during move to Ohio)
http://www.harbachelectronics.com/

FL-2100z comments (links for an on-line manual)
http://www.bcdxc.org/yaesu_fl2100z.htm

73 de Greg
w9gb

W9GB

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2003, 04:42:44 PM »

Your FT-897 manual TELLS you specifically and in detail exactly how to key an external linear amplifier such as the Yaesu.  Details are on Page 10 of the manual, which is entitled, "Linear Amplifier Interfacing."  Read it.

You can use an optional cable from Yaesu, P/N CT-58, to do this, or you can build your own if you have an 8-pin DIN plug and are handy at soldering in small spaces.

When using older amplifiers (liek the FL-2100z) and even some of the newer designs as well, the voltage on the keying circuit of the amplifier may be in excess of that which can be safely handled by the auxillary keying contacts on the exciter.

The easiest thing to do is to buy a relay from uopir local electronics store (Radio Shack) or other source that has a 12 volt coil.  Then you can use basically any power supply that furnishes 12 volts DC.  Just connect the negative side of the power supply to ground (usually the "shield" connection on an RCA plug), the positive lead to one side of the relay coil, and then connect the other side of the relay coil to the center pin on the RCA plug (or whatever it takes to get to the keying connection in the exciter).

Connect the common pole of the relay contacts to one side of the amplifier keying circuit and the normally open to the other side of the amplifier keying circuit.  After power is applied to the 12 volt circuit when the exciter goes to transmit the relay will close and the amplifier will be turned on.

As a precaution for voltage spikes you probably should put a silicon diode rectifier across the relay coil.  In this case, the anode of the diode needs to go to the negative voltage side (the side that is keyed by the exciter) and the cathode (usually the end of the diode marked with a "band") goes to the positive side of the coil.  Since you are only running 12 volts, just about any "garden" variety rectifier will work.  The 1N4001 will work fine (as will the 1N4002 through 1N4007) diodes.  These cost in the neighborhood of 3 cents each in 100 quantities from Mouser and like 25 to 35 cents each in single quantities.

DPDT relays with contacts that can handle between 10 and 15 amps usually cost under $ 10 USD and are available in 12 volt DC coils.  The contacts are definitely much heavier than what you need to operate the relay.  But, the contacts will "last forever".  You can use this type of circuit to run just about anything that needs to be keyed from the exciter.

w9gb

WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2003, 05:41:15 PM »

The FT-897's manual does state it can key 12V at up to 75mA, and the FL-2100Z greatly exceeds this spec (!), so there's little doubt it will require an interface to key it.

If you have the latest issue (November 2003) of QST laying around, take a look in the "Hints & Kinks" section, and you'll see a perfect little circuit laid out for doing exactly what you need.  Cost to build the interface, including all parts, is about $10.  In lieu of that, you could buy the ARB703 plug & play interface from Ameritron (I think it's about $40 or so), which will do the same thing.

WB2WIK/6
M0PDM

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2003, 06:14:37 PM »

Thank you for the comments so far.

I can see the benefit of using an isolated
interface to control the TX line.

My main concern is with the ALC line and voltages,
and are they compatable?

Input into the FT-897 is quoted as 0 to -4 volts.
Would I expect to see the same out of the FL-2100Z.

regards
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2003, 12:03:25 PM »

Re: ALC, the 897 and FL2100Z should be compatible.  The voltages used are always low, and negative -- worst that can happen is an incompatibility would render the connection ineffective.

WB2WIK/6
M0PDM

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2003, 02:23:30 PM »

I asked the question from the local Yaesu dealer.

Hello
I have talked to Japan on this matter
and in principle the FT-897 will work
with the FL2100Z but some alignment on
the ALC may be needed.
Best regards
Sam Ruddy
Service Manger
Yaesu UK  Ltd

Does anyone have some more info
on the ALC line voltages required?
and how it may relate to the 897's
power output. (ie.  feedback)

regards
GU7UJ

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2003, 05:48:25 PM »

Oh dear me! M0s eh?
M0HDX

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2004, 02:22:16 PM »

GU7UJ i have read many of your anti cw messages on this site and now you show up again speaking garbage...why dont you do us all a favour please and GO AND SUCK ON A GAS PIPE you pathetic little moron.

jim M0HDX  
G4IBW

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2005, 07:48:51 AM »

You need to connect pin 2 of your 8 pin mini din to ry on the linear and connect from acc on the 897 3.5 jack tip to alc on the 2100z
G4IBW

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2005, 06:31:52 AM »

The Fl-2000 and the 2100 series amps use a negative keying voltage to key the amplifier so you could not directly key the amp with the 897 857 .You will need to construct a simple relay circuit to switch the relay lead in the amp.Get a relay with a low current coil (75 ma) or less and connect one side of the relay coil to the 13v pin on the linear/cat socket on the 897/857.The other relay lead will go to the tx gnd pin on the same jack.The 13v from from the radio through the relay coil to the TX GND jack will now energize the relay when you push PTT on the radio .The keying relay lead on the amp should go to the common relay contact and the normally open relay contact should be connected to ground.When the relay energizes ,the common contact of the relay will be pulled to the GND contact on the relay and the AMP will key. The relay contacts should be rated at !amp or more
YY2ACA

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2006, 07:24:53 AM »

DEAR FRIENDS BEST 73s TO ALL OF YOU
I DONT HAVE ELECTRONIC KNOWLEDGE !
MAY I CONNECT MY  FT/897  TO MY FL2100 ?  Or i cant do it ?
I was trying to buy the relay cable  on ebay but  dont know if this wil work or not .
 CAN YOU HELP ME ...HOW TO THIS ?
I just want to run my amplifier with my yaesu FT/897
Thanks
Best from YY2ACA  TONY
Venezuela

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: