Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Contest logger/ CW operation  (Read 2032 times)
WA3MD

Ignore
« on: June 30, 2013, 07:16:02 PM »

Ok so Im looking at all the different contest loggers and want to get the most for the setup I have.  Currently run Kenwood TS 140s with a Signalink USB and MMTTY for RTTY.  I want to be able to send and receive cw with my PC during contests in addition want a good contest logger.  What is necessary to use Write log for cw keying/receiving? Can I interface them using the Signalink.  Im still pretty new to digital modes and Pc interfacing so forgive my ignorance hihi!

Frank WA3MD
N0IU

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2013, 04:44:26 AM »

This won't completely answer your question to your satisfaction, but I use the N1MM program for contest logging, regardless of mode. It works great for RTTY contesting since it uses the MMTTY engine. It also works well for CW contests, but it will only transmit! If you want to use your computer for receiving CW, you will need to run another program (like CWGet) in a separate window.
K8GU

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2013, 05:53:58 AM »

N1MM is a good suggestion for logging software.  It's free and well-supported.  (I don't particularly care for N1MM myself, but if you're starting from scratch or upgrading from WriteLog, it's a sensible choice.)

If you have a pretty fast computer and still have physical parallel/serial ports, you can build a little adapter for sending CW with a transistor and resistor.  There are lots of plans for this on the web.  I understand that some USB converters work and some may not.  For no-fuss operation, a K1EL Winkey USB (WKUSB) is a nice project and not too expensive.  If you're using the computer for decode, just bring the audio in through your Signalink and use CWGet.  For the record, I have never used a CW decoder, so I don't know what the good ones are.  But, I've heard a lot of good things about CWGet.
K8AC

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2013, 06:42:44 AM »

For sending CW, the most reliable means is a K1EL Winkey USB unit.  With that, your CW will always be perfect regardless of what else is going on in the PC at any time.  And, the Winkey USB is a full-fledged keyer on its own, so you can use it with a keying lever.  With N1MM, you can define the CW sequences you want to send and relate them to N1MM buttons.  If you're planning on any serious CW contest work, CW decoders aren't going to cut it.  In many cases, you have to use your imagination to copy weak signals at the noise level and decoders aren't quite up to that yet.

73, K8AC
WA3MD

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2013, 12:40:52 PM »

Ok will look into the WinKey.  Don't really need a cw reader but some contest stations send 35wpm it could help hihi!   Been playing around with N1MM logger, will try it this weekend in the IARU. Thanks for info guys!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: