Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What is a good HF rig to get (re)started with?  (Read 25205 times)
K9MHZ

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: September 17, 2013, 05:28:14 PM »

[But the 718 receiver would not sound as good 520 or 820 and then there is the proven old 530 and the classic 830 which is in this price range and still a impressive performer even today.

I owned a lot of that stuff back in the day, myself.  Good stuff, but getting pretty old and their receivers are far from comparable to modern gear.  "Sound" is a very subjective qualitative assessment, and hardly enough to trump all other parameters.

W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: September 18, 2013, 04:50:45 AM »

[But the 718 receiver would not sound as good 520 or 820 and then there is the proven old 530 and the classic 830 which is in this price range and still a impressive performer even today.

I owned a lot of that stuff back in the day, myself.  Good stuff, but getting pretty old and their receivers are far from comparable to modern gear.  "Sound" is a very subjective qualitative assessment, and hardly enough to trump all other parameters.

Well far from comparable if you mean the old analog receivers sound much better than the modern entry level DSP rigs of today which lack the fidelity of old rigs.

--------------------------------------
All posted wireless using Win 8.1 RT, a Android tablet using 4G/LTE/WiFi or Sprint Note 3.
KC0KEK

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: September 18, 2013, 09:49:59 AM »

The Kenwood TS-570SG is worth considering.
K9MHZ

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: September 19, 2013, 11:40:55 AM »

Well far from comparable if you mean the old analog receivers sound much better than the modern entry level DSP rigs of today which lack the fidelity of old rigs.

No.....they're deaf, they drift, have dial backlash, etc.  And all for what....a "cool" hifi sound?

The OP apparently has his mind already set on a 440S or whatever, so I don't know why he even posted.  But telling a newb that he should look at a 520 or a Heathkit (talk about suck) just because we thought they were cool back in the day is silly.  Our nostalgia shouldn't be taken as gospel truths by a new person.  

« Last Edit: September 19, 2013, 11:43:05 AM by K9MHZ » Logged
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: September 19, 2013, 11:50:29 AM »

You'd be surprised how good a modern receiver can sound if you put a decent external speaker on it. Remember, we aren't typically listening the AM signals on the ham bands any longer.
KC0KEK

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: September 19, 2013, 05:14:06 PM »

You'd be surprised how good a modern receiver can sound if you put a decent external speaker on it.

I sure tried with the 570 but never could get it to sound anywhere near as good as my Icom R70 or Drake R8, so I bought an Icom 7700. Other folks might have no qualms about the 570's audio. Great rig otherwise.
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: September 20, 2013, 05:30:29 AM »

You'd be surprised how good a modern receiver can sound if you put a decent external speaker on it.

I sure tried with the 570 but never could get it to sound anywhere near as good as my Icom R70 or Drake R8, so I bought an Icom 7700. Other folks might have no qualms about the 570's audio. Great rig otherwise.

The 570 sounds MUCH better with a external speaker. The internal one is lacking.

--------------------------------------
All posted wireless using Win 8.1 RT, a Android tablet using 4G/LTE/WiFi or Sprint Note 3.
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: