Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Charging cell phones in the microwave?  (Read 6632 times)
KA4NMA

Ignore
« on: July 01, 2013, 07:03:46 PM »

Have you heard the latest internet hoax?  It claims that placing a phone in a microwave will recharge it.  Check out http://www.snopes.com/inboxer/hoaxes/phonecharge.asp for some good video's of what happens to a cell phone in the microwave.

Randy ka4nma
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2013, 09:49:00 PM »

NMA:  OK.... let me tell you a true story.

I worked in a power plant and some of the crew carried HTs made my Motorola.  I mention the name because these things were very overpriced, costing $1400.00 each with it's own charger.

One of the crew members dropped his into an open drainage ditch full of water.  It was "ON" but when he pulled it out of the ditch it was no longer "ON."  Figuring he was going to get reprimanded for destroying a $1400 radio, he got the bright idea of drying it out in the microwave.

As he was standing there waiting for it to dry out, an electrical engineer and this guy's boss came into the break room to heat up some food.  Before he could be stopped he opened the microwave door and saw this $1400 radio laying in a pool of plastic, rubber, and electronic components along with a cloud of smoke.  His jaw dropped almost to the floor along with his food.

I can't tell you the rest because eHam doesn't permit that kind of language here.

W1JKA

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2013, 02:12:28 AM »

Or you could do it the easy way and just put the cell phone battery in the microwave and hit the POPcorn button .Personally I prefer to re charge my cell phone by taking the battery out of my XYL's cell phone which for some reason is always as fully charged as her credit card .
« Last Edit: July 02, 2013, 02:56:16 AM by W1JKA » Logged
SWMAN

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2013, 03:47:53 AM »

Try putting an entire egg in there sometime for about 30 seconds.No,maybe you better not, the egg will actually explode into thousands of little pieces. Sad
N3HFS

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2013, 04:35:04 AM »

Some folks will undoubtedly follow this advice.  The experiment on how gullible folks are to internet advice will have been successful!

I worked in a power plant and some of the crew carried HTs made my Motorola. 

One of the crew members dropped his into an open drainage ditch full of water. 
...he got the bright idea of drying it out in the microwave.

Was his name Homer Simpson?
K8AXW

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2013, 09:53:43 AM »

Was his name Homer Simpson?

Nah.... Homer was sharper than this guy!
KB4QAA

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2013, 10:22:37 AM »

Try putting an entire egg in there sometime for about 30 seconds.No,maybe you better not, the egg will actually explode into thousands of little pieces. Sad
Back when microwaves were fairly new we had a secretary who was blinded for about a week when a similar thing happened.  She was cooking the eggs in water, and as she was taking the bowl out of the oven, the two intact eggs clinked against one another, cracking them and causing a steam explosion.  

She was lucky to get her vision back.
G3RZP

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2013, 01:29:22 PM »

you can kid some of the people some of the time........

Good ole Abe! (despite the fact he was a lawyer!)
K0JEG

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2013, 07:47:57 PM »

We were sitting around the break room talking about microwaves, and I suggested my coworker put a CD in, because it's "real cool." We had a ton of customer installation CDs laying around, so he grabbed one, put it in the break room microwave and watched the sparks fly! Yep, sure was cool until the stench of burned plastic wafted out into the call center floor.

Good thing I was a supervisor, and he was in the marketing department, or we might have been in real trouble! Cheesy
KA4NMA

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2013, 08:05:15 PM »

Those stories are great.  When microwave ovens first came out, a young lady at Western Carolina University put an unopened can in a microwave. My uncle had the difficult job of cleaning up and repairing the mess!

Randy
WA2ONH

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2013, 08:54:31 AM »

I have heard about putting a cell phone in a Microwave but for a different reason - To test the oven for leaks.

UNPLUG the Microwave oven - Place phone in Microwave - close door - call the cell phone number - if the cell phone rings - your Microwave door seal has a leak!  Time for repair by a pro who can detect and fix the leak!  
« Last Edit: July 03, 2013, 09:04:27 AM by WA2ONH » Logged

73 de WA2ONH dit dit    ...Charlie
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
"No time is ever wasted that is spent LEARNING something!"
MISTAKES are proof that you are TRYING
W1JKA

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2013, 09:22:05 AM »

Re:WA2ONH

Yes I have heard of this but was told it only works if you re charge your cell phone in the microwave first. I test my microwave with microwave popcorn, if I can smell the popcorn after 2 mins. I know the seal is OK.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2013, 09:28:40 AM by W1JKA » Logged
KE3WD

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2013, 12:24:17 PM »

A measured 8 oz of water in a microwavable glass container is the good way to check the oven operation.  One can even use the physics book to find the specific heat of this amount of H2O, plus the rated wattage of the oven to nail it, but generally speaking, if it can heat the water to about 100 deg C in under one minute, good to go.  

The microwave oven is tuned to resonate the water molecule frequency.  That is how they work, heating the water in various foods. 
W0BTU

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2013, 04:35:54 PM »

The microwave oven is tuned to resonate the water molecule frequency.

Resonance? I thought it was just dielectric loss. Anything lossy like that --dry solid or liquid-- can be heated in a microwave oven.

KE3WD

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2013, 03:56:51 PM »

Well of course it is dielectric heating, but look up the dimensions of the oven magnetron cavity...
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: