Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tell me what program will work for my logging requirements please.  (Read 1765 times)
KA0HVE

Ignore
« on: July 03, 2013, 07:26:05 AM »

My needs are minimal.

I have a Windows 7 64-bit OS on a netbook.

I want a logging program to log my day-to-day activities and to log contest activities.

I don't need an interface to my rig.  I'm not yet a contester but I'd like to try some casual contesting so Cabrillo formatted output needs to be available.

Maybe they're not but my requirements seem simple to me.  Maybe all logging programs will do this but I'm new at computer logging so I need some guidance.

Thanks!
KB1NXE

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2013, 07:56:06 AM »

For just a logger that has minimum Rig interfacing capability (not 'control' mind you) check out the N1MM logging software.  Many of the best operators I know use it.

Personally, I use HRD, but that's because my requirements are different than yours.
N0IU

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2013, 05:42:33 AM »

I use the same programs as KB1NXE.

For contesting, the only things you need to log are the exchange elements of the particular contest you are working like the mode, signal report, serial number, etc. One of the nice thing about the N1MM program is that you tell it what contest you are working and it only presents the fields that are necessary for that particular contest. After the contest, I export my log in Cabrillo format to submit the log to the contest sponsor and I also export it as an ADIF file to merge it with my Ham Radio Deluxe (HRD) log which is my primary station log.

For "day-to-day" activities, you may want to log many different pieces of information about that contact which is where a full-blown logging program comes into handy. And while Ham Radio Deluxe does not export in Cabrillo format (at least the free version doesn't), it does export to ADIF and there are many free ADIF-to-Cabrillo converters out there.

I guess I am more curious about why you are not interested in interfacing to your radio? Unless you are using a "boat anchor" that does not offer this feature, interfacing to your computer can really make your life a whole lot simpler, especially in a contest. By interfacing your radio to your computer, it will pick up the band, frequency and mode from your radio and automatically populate your log with this information. Especially in a contest, it can really slow you down if you have to take the time to manually type in the band, frequency and mode for every contact. Why not let technology work for you?
AA6YQ

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2013, 10:27:15 PM »

DXKeeper, the logging component of the freeware DXLab Suite, supports casual contesting, can export Cabrillo files, and doesn't require you to use transceiver control. For more serious contesting, many DXLab users employ N1MM during the contest, with N1MM configured to convey logged QSOs to DXKeeper.

DXKeeper is free, and available via <www.dxlabsuite.com>

All reference and task-oriented documentation is available online, so you can review it before installing software if you wish:

<http://www.dxlabsuite.com/dxlabwiki/GettingStarted>

Dave, AA6YQ
K0IZ

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2013, 03:56:03 AM »

Many like N3FJP's suite of software, including the general logging program ACLog.  $25.  Very intuitive, easy to learn.  Go to http://n3fjp.com/aclog.html for info.
KA0HVE

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2013, 06:25:35 AM »

I guess I am more curious about why you are not interested in interfacing to your radio? Unless you are using a "boat anchor" that does not offer this feature, interfacing to your computer can really make your life a whole lot simpler, especially in a contest. By interfacing your radio to your computer, it will pick up the band, frequency and mode from your radio and automatically populate your log with this information. Especially in a contest, it can really slow you down if you have to take the time to manually type in the band, frequency and mode for every contact. Why not let technology work for you?

Some would call it a boat anchor but I call it a Classic!!!   Grin  I use a Ten-Tec Century 21 for CW QRP operating.

Hey, I'm switching from logging on paper to logging on a computer.  I don't want to go into shock by interfacing my computer to my rig even if I could.  Plus, I work with computers 8 to 10 hours a day.  I've been doing that for over 35 years.  It's nice to get away from them now-and-then.

Yeah, I'm quirky but it's a hobby and I'm having lots of fun.   Wink
NK7Z

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2013, 06:53:06 AM »

Many like N3FJP's suite of software, including the general logging program ACLog.  $25.  Very intuitive, easy to learn.  Go to http://n3fjp.com/aclog.html for info.
Hi,
I have a short review with screen shots of the N3FJP software at:
http://nk7z.net/review-of-amateur-contact-log-3-0/

Thanks,
Dave
For reviews and setups see: http://www.nk7z.net
SA3BYC

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2013, 10:05:34 PM »

I use a very similar set up as N0IU. HRD as mainlogg and N1MM for contesting. Started with computerlogging about a year ago, HRD as stand alone without radio interfacing. Found it to be a great program, but not the best for contesting (I use the free version 5). Looked at several contesting programs and found N1MM to best suit my needs.

Just recently I got hold of a radio interface cable and Wov! wish I had interfaced the radio with my logg earlier. Especially at contesting it's great to get all the info from the radio automatically into the logg.

My advice; many of these software packages can be tried for maybe 30 days, try several, eventually you will find something that suites your need and way of operating.

73 de Johan
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: