Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: LoTW cert on crashed computer  (Read 5086 times)
N4NYY

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2013, 01:18:40 PM »

The reason the tq6 wouldn't load is because it only works on one instance of tqsl. That is the one you requested it from.  Even if you are on the same computer if you reinstalled tqsl then you have to install the p12.  Everyone should save the certificate from the tqsl cert program and you should always be able to reinstall it. Just highlight the certificate right click save.  Should be the first thing you do after installing your cert. I keep a copy on every drive I have.  Anytime I reinstall the OS, I have to use the p12.  I thought you imaged your HDD and the original tqsl on it.

I had a recovery image. They do not send laptops with Windows or software anymore. When you fire it up, there is an imaging program that allows you to burn to DVD. Good thing I did not image later on, because that HDD crashed like the Titanic! LOL
W7TX

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2013, 02:37:36 PM »

When I read your first post, I was thinking you imaged your entire HDD, but since you just reinstalled Windows from the recovery thats why it gave you problems.  Glad your back up and running.   Smiley
K3DCW

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2013, 04:40:31 AM »

The reason the tq6 wouldn't load is because it only works on one instance of tqsl. That is the one you requested it from.  Even if you are on the same computer if you reinstalled tqsl then you have to install the p12.  Everyone should save the certificate from the tqsl cert program and you should always be able to reinstall it. Just highlight the certificate right click save.  Should be the first thing you do after installing your cert. I keep a copy on every drive I have.  Anytime I reinstall the OS, I have to use the p12.  I thought you imaged your HDD and the original tqsl on it.

That's funny, because I have TQSL installed on 3 different computers; Windows, OS X and Linux and have NEVER used the P12.  I've just downloaded the certs from LoTW and it has all just worked each and every time.  When I reinstall the OS, like I just did with my Windows 7 machine a few weeks ago, it worked just fine as well. 

That being said, I DO always make a p12 backup, but I've never needed to use it.

Dave
K3DCW
W7TX

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2013, 07:34:09 AM »

TQ6 doesn't work here on Windows xp, I just tried it with a fresh download from my lotw account.  Shows certificate error. Loaded the p12 ok. 
K3DCW

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2013, 09:02:38 AM »

TQ6 doesn't work here on Windows xp, I just tried it with a fresh download from my lotw account.  Shows certificate error. Loaded the p12 ok. 

Was that a fresh install of TQSLCert and Windows XP, or did you just try to load the tq6 file into an existing TQSLCert already containing your certificates?  The latter will produce a duplicate cert error. 

All I can say is I've downloaded and installed those tq6 certs several times into several different instances of TQSL with no problem. I don't even have the computer and TQSL install that I originally requested my certificate from and I can still load the tq6 with no problem when I download it from LoTW...as long as I'm downloading it into a clean/new install. 
W7TX

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: August 17, 2013, 10:26:02 AM »

I don't knows how this works then.  I just uninstalled my old tqsl on my backup machine and reinstalled 1.14.3 latest release and it still only likes p12.  If it works both ways that's great.  Why does tqsl generate the p12 if you don't need it?
K3DCW

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: August 17, 2013, 10:38:17 AM »

I don't knows how this works then.  I just uninstalled my old tqsl on my backup machine and reinstalled 1.14.3 latest release and it still only likes p12.  If it works both ways that's great.  Why does tqsl generate the p12 if you don't need it?

I can't say for certain, but I don't think the certificates are erased when you uninstall and reinstall a new version. I think the tq6 will only work with a completely clean install...like the first time TQSL is installed and ran on a new OS installation.  Since you've already installed those certs on that machine in the past, the p12 needs to be used.

Perhaps Dave (AA6YQ) can shed a bit more light on that. 

In any case, I'm glad the OP got his cert situation worked out.

Dave
K3DCW
W7TX

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: August 17, 2013, 10:58:23 AM »

Your right about the cert being retained.  I deleted it then tried to reinstall the one I download yesterday and it would not work.  I just did a fresh Win xp install on my main comp on the 13th but didn't even try to use the tq6 since it never worked before.  With xp going away soon I will try using the tq6 on the new win 8 installs and see what happens , but that won't be until winter.
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: