Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: HF in 2013 F150  (Read 8196 times)
VA6KGS

Ignore
« on: July 04, 2013, 07:55:20 AM »

i have had my f150 now for about a month and have had my hf in from day 1. With basic grounding of the tail pipe, box to frame, hood and doors, i have gotten it to the point where i dont need noise blanker on my ic7000 even at highway speeds except when sitting at a light and a noisy vehicle pulls up.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/airlinersonthenet/9137115291/

IMG_0625 by kevinstuparyk, on Flickr

Back view by kevinstuparyk, on Flickr

IMG_0628 by kevinstuparyk, on Flickr

Radios by kevinstuparyk, on Flickr

Interior Shot by kevinstuparyk, on Flickr
AC4RD

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2013, 04:12:59 AM »

That's a bunch of antennas you have on that truck!  Smiley  It sounds like your bonding on the truck has really paid off, too. 
SMAUG

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2013, 07:25:39 AM »

Wow, that thing is BRISTLING with antennas! How many hours would you say you have into that?

If I had a mobile station like that, I'd never go into my home.

On the other hand, I always worry about guys with these sweet HF mobile installations fiddling around with them while driving. There is a lot more fiddilng required with them than with VHF/UHF...

Jeremy (KC9ZHE)
"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
-Abraham Lincoln
M6GOM

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2013, 11:29:29 AM »

On the other hand, I always worry about guys with these sweet HF mobile installations fiddling around with them while driving. There is a lot more fiddilng required with them than with VHF/UHF...

If its done right, very little. For example with my Icom 7000 install I changed band, hit the tune button and let the screwdriver antenna controller sort the rest out. I either used scan or manually tuned and the radio beeped once I'd hit the band edge.
K5LXP

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2013, 02:17:15 PM »

If its done right, very little.

Yep.  You reach a point where you're familiar enough with the radio you can just about work it by feel.  Once it's set up for a particular band and mode you usually don't work much more than the VFO.  My biggest distraction running HF mobile is logging during contests.  Need to get the XYL to learn CW and log for me, HI.

Mark K5LXP
Albuquerque, NM
AC4RD

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2013, 04:53:21 PM »

Another "me, too" for working mostly by feel in the car.  I use single-band antennas (though I can switch between two of them on different mounts), no tuning required.  I have memories in my 706 set for convenience; I leave the driveway, turn on the radio, and flip the memory dial to a good point for whatever band I'm using.  That's often 21.205 in the afternoons.  I can drive along, slowly turning the tuning knob, moving up in frequency and listening for contacts.   If I've been doing it for a while, I glance down at the front panel.  If I've gone higher in the band than I want to, I turn the memory knob up and back down; puts me back on 21205 to begin another scan.  It takes very little attention away from my driving.

I've tried CW in the car and it was lots of fun ...  but I'm in a good bit of traffic most of the time, and I'm just not comfortable with it.  One of these days I'll put the sideswiper back in the car for a long trip on uncrowded highways.  Smiley
VA6KGS

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2013, 11:23:34 AM »

i spend most of my time on 20m, and yes i have gotten to the point where i can tune around the band just by ear.
KE7TMA

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2013, 05:04:53 PM »

Are you into weather spotting and emergency services?
N6AJR

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2013, 02:18:58 PM »

I have several antennas on my f 150 (1994) and 5 radios in the cab. I use an ft 857 and for driving a ATAS 120 so I can also just push the button to tune and change freqs ny ear.  I also have a DK-3 screwdriver for use on 80 160.

http://www.qrz.com/db/N6AJR
VA6KGS

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2013, 03:11:22 AM »

the way i was taught to drive was by my mother and she had me sit in the car and memorize the locations of all the buttons and knobs until i could hit all of them with my eyes closed, i did that when i bought my truck and put my radios in.
K7RNO

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2013, 01:55:42 PM »

You guys are nuts! I see you weaving all the time (you just don't notice it yourself).

Hands on the wheel.
Eyes on the road.
Mind on driving.

Please, drive responsibly.

aRNO
NAQCC #6870, SKCC #11131
VA6KGS

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2013, 02:21:59 PM »

You try not weaving around when your pulling empty 35ft enclosed utility trailers.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: