Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Pretty (to non-hams) HF beam?  (Read 3563 times)
WX2S

Ignore
« on: July 06, 2013, 06:02:35 AM »

Hi, all,

Here is an odd limit-stretching question: Is it possible to make a reasonably efficient and otherwise functional HF beam that is also attractive to non-hams?

Please post links to examples if you know of one.

73, -WX2S

73, - Steve WX2S.
I subscribe to the DX Code of Conduct. http://dx-code.org/
K4SAV

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2013, 06:49:40 AM »

My wife isn't a ham and she likes my antennas, a two element 40 over a 4 element SteppIR, and four other wire antennas, a 2 meter GP, and a large low band receiving array.  I don't care what anyone else thinks.

If the question is: Is it possible to make an antenna that everyone will like, then the answer is ABSOLUTELY NO.  You can't even find a flavor of ice cream that everyone will like.
WX2S

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2013, 07:08:07 AM »

If the question is: Is it possible to make an antenna that everyone will like, then the answer is ABSOLUTELY NO.  You can't even find a flavor of ice cream that everyone will like.
The question was whether it's possible to make a reasonably good beam that would generally be considered to enhance the appearance of a home.

- WX2S

73, - Steve WX2S.
K4SAV

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2013, 08:35:30 AM »

The question was whether it's possible to make a reasonably good beam that would generally be considered to enhance the appearance of a home.

If "generally" means more than 50% of the people, then given the proliferation of home owners associations and the prohibition of anything out of the "cooker cutter norm", I think the answer to that question would be no.
KS2G

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2013, 09:03:46 AM »

Is it possible to make a reasonably efficient and otherwise functional HF beam that is also attractive to non-hams?

Not likely.

You'll be lucky if most non-hams just consider it tolerable.

K4RVN

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2013, 09:06:50 AM »

I get a lot of comments and questions on my 5 band hex  beam, but not hostile. My prior hf beams were quads and yagis which were not viewed as friendly. The hex beam is not antenna looking in a general perception, but would not go so far as to say attractive to non hams.
WX2S

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2013, 09:29:21 AM »

Hmmmm... is there a Burt Rutan of beam antennas around anywhere?  Grin

73, - Steve WX2S.
WB8VLC

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2013, 03:42:12 PM »

It would have to either look like a motor home, a tree or a green rolling lawn for the old farts in my neighborhood or a box of chocolates for the soccer moms to be appealing.
AF6WL

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2013, 04:18:35 PM »

It would have to either look like a motor home, a tree or a green rolling lawn for the old farts in my neighborhood or a box of chocolates for the soccer moms to be appealing.

I always fancied disguising a beam as a traditional Dutch Wind Mill : that would probably be quaint enough to pass with your neighbors.
The blades, i.e. spider beam, would raise from vertical to horizontal when in use.
WX2S

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2013, 04:24:25 PM »

I always fancied disguising a beam as a traditional Dutch Wind Mill : that would probably be quaint enough to pass with your neighbors.
The blades, i.e. spider beam, would raise from vertical to horizontal when in use.
I like this idea. I've always fancied an Inspector Gadget beam that unfolds when you want it.

Unfortunately, if the stealthing is anything like what they apply to cell towers, it'd be a miserable failure. I'm wondering if there is a way to design a beam that is attractive in its own light, like a sailboat or an airplane can be.

73, - Steve WX2S.
AF6WL

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2013, 04:49:18 PM »

I'm wondering if there is a way to design a beam that is attractive in its own light, like a sailboat or an airplane can be.

How about two St. Louis like arches tilted at 45 degrees - forming a rhombic antenna.
It would however need an impressive turntable  Grin

On a more domestic scale a phased array of half magnetic loops might be more practical .
N6AJR

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2013, 08:11:45 PM »

a 3 element steppir can be painted any color you want, that should make it purdy
W1JKA

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2013, 06:47:23 AM »

My in town QTH is in the middle of a 200+ house development, in the past 2 years I have had only 3 people comment on my Hex beam and all 3 just asked if it had something to do with satellites, other than that nobody seems to care.
K2MK

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2013, 06:55:07 AM »

It's the mass of steel between the ground and the antenna that is most objectionable. Hams tend to gaze skywards. Non-hams fix their gaze at lower elevations. Invent a support that looks like a real tree and most people won't even notice the antenna on top.

Mike K2MK
N6AJR

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2013, 11:55:26 AM »

the push up mast or tower can be covered in some real, or better yet, fake  ivy vines , and you call it a trellis.
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: