Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Remote Radio and DXCC  (Read 4806 times)
KY6R

Ignore
« on: July 07, 2013, 04:54:33 AM »

An advertisement just popped up regarding using a remote station, and in their FAQ they address the remote station use for DXCC, and describe the ARRL DXCC rule - which is - if you are using a remote station that is in the same entity, its perfectly legal. And technically, it is.

http://www.remotehamradio.com/

What say you?
AD9DX

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2013, 05:12:21 AM »

In an era of HOA Hell and tower restrictions I think this is going to become more prevalent. You already see people using remote SDRs for low band RX.

I don't like it. But I am not the one who has to stare at their DXCC award.

EX, KC9TRM, KB9IRZ
KE8G

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2013, 06:03:05 AM »

I see nothing wrong with it, as long as the person is operating their own equipment in both locations!  For example, I have a remote setup, so I can operate my Ohio station while I am at my 2nd home in Texas, where the HOA tells you what color mulch you can use in your flower beds!  I own all the equipment in both locations, so it's not like I am borrowing someone's "Super Station" to make a DX contact.

The only quandary I was facing was whether to sign KE8G/5 when in Texas, but after thinking about it, my signal is being transmitted from my Ohio station/antennas, so I just sign KE8G and leave it at that.

Now, I would have a problem if a station was to operate remote from their QTH to say K3LR's Super Station to grab some DX contacts or work a contest.  That, in my opinion, is not right.

But, then again, it's just a hobby.  There are more pressing issues in the World to be concerned about!

Just my $.02.
73 de Jim - KE8G
W5RDW

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2013, 08:07:55 AM »

My brother. K5WDW, has ARRL DXCC, WAS and WAZ  awards from a remote in Switzerland via his home QTH in Houston.

With the advent of more and more HOA and such living situations that prevent outside antennas, this type of operation will become more and more popular. I see no problem with it as long as it is not abused, such as contacting Heard from a remote in Australia and saying it was from your home station in Texas! No doubt this could happen. I have worked a number of remotes having such good audio that I would have never imagined they were a remote base station I was working! 

Roger White W5RDW
Murphy, TX
Ham since 1961
AF3Y

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2013, 10:35:07 AM »

I don't like it. But I am not the one who has to stare at their DXCC award.
W6GX

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2013, 11:02:09 PM »

I don't like it because it could create an unfair advantage.  OTOH I think most of us would rather not use it.  It just doesn't feel right Smiley  Therefore I believe the use of remote stations is still quite limited and the future growth of it won't be as high as what people feared.  Nothing could be compared to the pride one experiences of making a rare contact using one's own station.

The same issue is occurring in other hobbies such as astronomy.  You could remotely 'rent' a super telescope equipped with commercial grade imaging equipment and software.  I believe the vast majority of backyard astronomers would rather use their own telescopes.

But then again I could be completely wrong on this one Cheesy

Jonathan W6GX
W2IRT

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2013, 09:15:10 AM »

I don't have a problem with a remote for non-contest operations, and would certainly make use of one if I had the ability to do so -- especially on the lowbands, where it's often virtually impossible to erect a decent 80/160 receiving array in the space of a city or suburban lot. It would also be great for an east-coaster to have access to some good aluminium when BS7 or P5 comes a-callin' and likewise for a 6-lander when Monk Apollo, Andorra or a 1A pops up.

www.facebook.com/W2IRT
Night gathers and now my watch begins. It shall not end until I reach Top of the Honor Roll.
N2RJ

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2013, 09:27:32 AM »

This is W2RE's new service. Remote ham radio.

Not really my cup of tea but once you're in the same DXCC entity it's valid for dxcc. But if you traverse DXCC entities it is not. Martti Laine remoted into Azores for a WPX contest a few years ago and I saw a notation in my log from clublog that it was not valid for dxcc.
KY6R

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2013, 09:37:10 AM »

I've used a baseline of "Whatever the ARRL DXCC rules are is what I will follow". So - given the rules as they are, I'm fine with it. However, I made HR using my own Little Pistol station, but that was just my own personal approach - just the way I wanted to play the game. My own personal little "bragging rights". I did think that remoting across the US is kind of unfair - when other entities are much smaller. East and West Coast propagation is many times like night and day . . .

In hindsight - I sure wish I would have "borrowed" my neighbors awesome station to work FT5GA - instead, I watched the spots and never heard them once. Oh well - it didn't ruin my chances at HR, but HR #1 is now harder because of that. I am no where near as revved up about HR #1 as I was plain old mixed HR - so don't really care too much.

What I really wish is that we could set up remote controlled stations on forelorn places that are too expensive to visit - that might have a scientific station / hut with enough room for a vertical and solar charging setup. Maybe this would be a way to prevent some entities from becoming extinct due to the high cost of getting there?

I do think the remote technology is pretty cool - being an IT guy.

N7SMI

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2013, 12:18:29 PM »

What I really wish is that we could set up remote controlled stations on forelorn places that are too expensive to visit

This brings up another interesting perspective. It's one thing for me to work a rare entity via a remote station in the Eastern US, but I think it's something else entirely if that rare entity is just an unmanned solar powered station with an operator running it from California. It would certainly make DXpeditions a lot less expensive to simply send one person to spend a few days setting up a satellite controlled station with some nice antennas that could be operated perpetually. Heck, maybe we could just fly over and parachute in a station - you wouldn't even have to actually land on the island. To me, that just doesn't feel right.
N2RJ

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2013, 12:23:59 PM »

Forget DXCC that wouldn't even be legal. You need a control operator and some countries define it differently.
KY6R

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2013, 12:24:46 PM »

What I really wish is that we could set up remote controlled stations on forelorn places that are too expensive to visit

This brings up another interesting perspective. It's one thing for me to work a rare entity via a remote station in the Eastern US, but I think it's something else entirely if that rare entity is just an unmanned solar powered station with an operator running it from California. It would certainly make DXpeditions a lot less expensive to simply send one person to spend a few days setting up a satellite controlled station with some nice antennas that could be operated perpetually. Heck, maybe we could just fly over and parachute in a station - you wouldn't even have to actually land on the island. To me, that just doesn't feel right.

I have been shopping for suitable ships to go to Heard Island. I was half kidding about the remote solar powered entity - but when you get the quotes that I have gotten - you do start thinking along these lines . . . .   Grin
AD9DX

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2013, 04:32:49 AM »

How does one "shop" for said ships?

EX, KC9TRM, KB9IRZ
KY6R

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2013, 05:16:41 AM »

How does one "shop" for said ships?

Maybe research would have been a better word choice  Grin

I found a document of all polar ships and then started contacting them. I also have the list of ships used for previous DX-peditions. Heard Island requires a big ship - that can safely cross the "Roaring 40's" and also have a helicopter to safely land gear. Its also one of the farthest spots away from civilization, meaning its very, very expensive.

This is why I urge everyone and anyone to donate to FT5ZM - even before you make that "Q" with them. They have to put a lot of money up front.
AD9DX

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2013, 08:36:02 AM »

Can you start a "behind the scenes" thread some time. I would love to hear about the logistics no one hears about.

EX, KC9TRM, KB9IRZ
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: