Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Shipping Ham Radio Equipment  (Read 5143 times)
KD6OJG

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2013, 09:28:42 AM »

I didn't mean to sound like I was overly touting my Yaesu, it's just that that in my research to see what it's worth a lot of people have expressed their affinity for that HT.  I myself bought a Baofeng UV-5RC and I think it's a great radio, especially the FM feature.

By the way - I forgot to mention that I mostly used my Yaesu FT-411E to monitor the 2 meter band and it has very little wear and tear and is in darn near perfect condition, with next to no blemishes.  It's the type of ham radio equipment that if I was looking for a particular used radio I would jump on it in a second, no matter what the price!  I just thought I'd throw that out there. Grin
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2013, 05:08:46 AM »

Funny, but I've had packages that have been delivered to PO boxes--in the local post office that is, not in a mail reception address where you can rent boxes.

What the post office does is put a notice in your PO box, you take that notice and your ID to the desk, sign and you get your package.

The way the outside, private post office box companies are, that cannot be done there because those companies refuse to take the responsibility for the packages--and so businesses won't ship to PO boxes anymore.

I should have said packages shipped by the USPS.  Whoops!   Embarrassed
WB6DGN

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2013, 12:26:03 AM »

There are some really neat resources that will greatly improve chances of a package, regardless of size, arriving safely.  They are a bit pricey so their use would depend on the value you place on your item and the circumstances under which it is shipped.

1.   Ham Radio Shipping Boxes    http://www.hamradioboxes.com/  Custom made shipping boxes out of cardboard or wood with suitable cushioning inside.  Obviously more appropriate for the high four to five figure HF radios or test equipment but, how much value do you place on the equipment?

2.   http://www.shockwatch.com/monitoring-devices/   Impact, tilt, and temperature sensors designed for one-time or repeated use to report exactly what abuse your object has endured in transit.  I can't wait to use these next time my service monitor needs calibration!  Obviously, I'd rather the package gets where its going and back safely, but it would sure be fun to answer a shipper's denial of claim with specific data on exactly what the package went through during shipping.  Again, more suitable for the more pricey equipment but to each his own. And, again, using these could sure be fun!

Back into hibernation!
Tom
W4KVW

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2013, 01:17:30 PM »

Just pack it as if it were being shipped to you & not from you then add one more layer of protection as insurance.Use any company that does NOT use any BROWN vehicles(Use FedEx,USPS,Ect)& insure the package as well.Have the person receiving the package open the package ASAP & try the gear to see if it looks & works as it did when it left you & NOT wait a month because they are busy or whatever so the insurance claim can be filed ASAP as well if needed.Again just DON'T let BROWN do ANYTHING for you! {:>)   Wink   Grin   Cheesy

Clayton
W4KVW
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: