Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Powerwerx DB-750X  (Read 52666 times)
N5INP

Ignore
« on: July 08, 2013, 02:39:04 PM »

Anyone heard anything about this new radio? It's due to be released July 26th.

The Powerwerx DB-750X will begin shipping on July 26th. Subscribe now to be notified when available.

All of the features you want at an affordable price. The newest mobile added to the Powerwerx lineup features Narrow band transmit (2.5 KHz) except on the Amateur bands (selectable Wide or Narrow RX), true dual-band receive (V+V, U+U, V+U, U+V), Wide RX/TX 136-174/400-490 MHz, AM aircraft Receive 108-136 MHz and user selectable multi-colored LCD display. Since this is a Commercial Land Mobile Multi-band radio, the DB-750X ships keyboard locked.

Powerwerx DB-750X

N3HFS

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2013, 02:59:59 PM »

Looks (examining the mic layout for instance) a good bit like this fellow:

http://www.kightradio.com/Anytone-AT-588UV-Dual-Band-Mobile_p_18.html

...but as is frequently the case with Chinese rigs, it's far from a perfect match.

I suspect we'll be seeing a whole lot of these things in the near future.  Could be a boon (if QC is adequate), or it might be a curse (until the bugs and engineering quality are worked out). 
N5INP

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2013, 03:12:47 PM »

Looks (examining the mic layout for instance) a good bit like this fellow:

http://www.kightradio.com/Anytone-AT-588UV-Dual-Band-Mobile_p_18.html

Yea I've seen the Anytone radio. Oh and I won't buy the Powerwerx until I read a review, but as far as looks go, I do like the layout, personally.

N5INP

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2013, 04:11:15 PM »

I just noticed in the Aug. QST that this radio is being advertised. I checked their website

Powerwerx DB-750X

and it is available for ordering. You can also get the manual which I am looking at right now. I will be very interested in reading the first reviews of this radio.

GREGWTH7MMMAG

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2013, 07:46:34 AM »

Saw one at HRO yesterday.  Glanced at it before I ordered a D710, so I cant tell you much about them other than they do exist now.

KD0PWN
N5INP

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2013, 07:57:28 AM »

Saw one at HRO yesterday.  Glanced at it before I ordered a D710, so I cant tell you much about them other than they do exist now.

OK, I really like the looks of it better than any other dual band rig on the market, but that's not reason enough to order one yet. I want to read a review first.

N3HFS

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2013, 08:15:30 AM »

Not mentioned in the ad is cross-band repeat.  Owner's manual page 28 describes this function, along with the caveat that using above "Mid2" (10 watts) will void the warranty.  It's rather nice to see the warranty cover this usage at all!
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2013, 08:33:31 AM »

What seems to be nice is that the accessories aren't high priced although the programming CD and cable are still a bit high--and you have to have them to 'unlock' the radio.  What's REALLY nice is the audio setup and the split harness that allows you to have two separate audio outputs--one for each display.  It would be even nicer if the radio could also TRANSMIT on the 220 mhz band!

The only thing is that I don't really see any technical information, the listings of how the radio works (if it's an SDR) and where it's made.  Powerwerks has a good reputation, but if this radio is just a replated Chinese squack box, is it really worth it?  Personally, I had a bad experience once with a Baofeng handheld, and I would not want to have it repeated.

Added--I just took a look at the manual, and there are some features that are impressive, such as an optional connection that allows automatic power on-off control by the ignition switch in the car--but doesn't have the radio power wired through the ignition switch.  Another couple of things that are distressing are the warning in the manual that the radio can't be used to transmit excessively at higher power (the manual recommend not more than the 10 watt setting for long time transmitting) because it will overheat, and the inclusion (in the accessories) of a custom made cigarette lighter cord.  It seems that this radio is meant to be used mostly in a low power mode.

It seems that there is way too many caution flags for this rig to be a good value, but that's just my opinion.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2013, 08:57:16 AM by K1CJS » Logged
K4AX

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2013, 09:15:03 AM »

Maybe to much information in the manual, hardly any ham/LMR rig can do continuous duty high power output without failing at some point unless they have a ten pound heat sink or a huge fan.  I'm sure it's fine at 50 out for general simplex and repeater use.
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2013, 01:02:10 PM »

The Icom V8000 I have does just fine at full output (75 - 80 watts) although the heatsink does get warm, but the V8000 is almost all heatsink!  This one looks to also have a big heatsink--the explicit warning in the manual is what is worrysome about it.  The Icom manual does mention about heat, but not about failure if I remember it correctly.

Could be just the translation too--the manual is obviously not written by a person who uses English regularly.
N5INP

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2013, 04:02:59 PM »

The chit-chat about it is picking up when I Google the model number. However no reviews so far.

Apparently it's made by Anytone according to this guy -

It is made by AnyTone (Qixiang Electron Science & Technology Co., Ltd).
FCC ID: T4K‐5888UV
http://at5888uv-wiki.info/images/9/97/FCC_Test_Report.pdf

http://www.brickolore.com/2013/07/powerwerx-db-750x-dual-band-mobile-radio.html

We'll see, I need a radio that does cross-band repeater so I can work repeaters from the Man Cave with my HT, so if it gets bad reviews I guess I'll go back to the big three and make my choice.  Smiley

NA4IT

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2013, 04:53:38 AM »

Functions and functionality appear to be much like the Yaesu FT-8800...
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2013, 06:07:52 AM »

...We'll see, I need a radio that does cross-band repeater so I can work repeaters from the Man Cave with my HT, so if it gets bad reviews I guess I'll go back to the big three and make my choice.  Smiley

That is another thing that is mentioned in the manual--crossbanding.  It specifically states that the power levels MUST be set at the ten watt step when crossbanding, or the radio may be damaged.  Oh well, it looks like the big three still makes better rigs.
N5INP

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2013, 07:00:11 AM »

That is another thing that is mentioned in the manual--crossbanding.  It specifically states that the power levels MUST be set at the ten watt step when crossbanding, or the radio may be damaged.  Oh well, it looks like the big three still makes better rigs.

May well be. I don't need more than 10 W though for my setup. I can get into all the repeaters I use with 4W at the moment, when I connect my HT to the outside ant. And of course I don't need to use crossbanding for everything.

If the reviews are unfavorable I am thinking I'll go with the Yaesu FT-8800R.

N3HFS

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2013, 10:31:21 AM »

Do you really think so?

Quote from: Yaesu FT-8800 User Manual
Remember that the transmit duty cycle will be much higher during repeater service, so we recommend that the transmit power level be set to a Low setting, to ensure cooler operation.

On the Kenwood I checked, the TM-V708AK, the Timeout Timer is automatically (and irrevocably) set at 3 minutes during Cross-band Repeater functionality.

Good luck finding cross-band repeater instructions in any ICOM User manuals!  The don't include them for a reason (even if the rig supports this function).

As far as my hearsay experiences go, none of the big three Japanese amateur radio manufacturers will repair overheated gear, even under warranty, unless their own internal safeguards (if they exist) failed to function as intended.  Seeing that PowerWerx's rig is actually covered under the condition that power is kept at or below 10 Watts is actually a refreshing and confidence-inducing ++PLUS++ in my book!

I'm just not seeing your point that this mobile gear should somehow be capable of full-power full-time 100% TX operation.  It was never intended for this, and will not tolerate this under many typical environments.  It has nothing to do with "quality" per se, but with intended usage and the level of headroom or "overengineering" commensurate with price, space/volume, and operating goals.
Pages: [1] 2 3 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: