Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Difference between Iambic Deluxe & Vibrokeyer ????  (Read 2211 times)
KC8Y

Ignore
« on: July 09, 2013, 06:23:55 PM »

I'm getting back into CW, after 25-years...My buddy just gave me a VIBROPLEX Vibrokeyer [already have an outboard electronic keyer];
BUT have seen in some amateur radio magazines, where they also have the Iambic Deluxe...

Just what is the DIFFERENCE between an Iambic Deluxe and the Vibrokeyer Huh  (they both look and seem to operate the same);

K7MH

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2013, 06:52:13 PM »

they both look and seem to operate the same
Maybe kinda sorta. But not to me.
One is iambic using two paddles, one for dits and one for dahs. The Vibrokeyer is a single lever key. One way is exclusively dits and the other is dahs.
The iambic key can be squeezed together and it will alternate dits and dahs until one or both are released.
Deluxe just indicates a chromed base.

A search will turn up several articles about either key, or keying methods.
I don't know of a newer HF rig that does not have electronic keying built in although they are more limited in functions than most external keyers.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2013, 07:03:39 PM by K7MH » Logged
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2013, 10:14:41 AM »

they both look and seem to operate the same
Maybe kinda sorta. But not to me.
One is iambic using two paddles, one for dits and one for dahs. The Vibrokeyer is a single lever key. One way is exclusively dits and the other is dahs.
The iambic key can be squeezed together and it will alternate dits and dahs until one or both are released.
Deluxe just indicates a chromed base.

This is correct.  There's a big difference.  The Iambic is a dual lever key paddle which can be operated as a squeeze key to save effort on some characters.  The Vibrokeyer isn't, it's a single lever paddle which cannot be squeeze keyed.  I'd prefer the iambic one, as I've become so used to dual-lever keys over the past 30 years or more that it's difficult to "go back."
KC8Y

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2013, 04:31:47 PM »

RE:  K7MH & WB2WIK

Thank you, both for the explanation.  It's been many years since I was last operated on CW.

I've been licensed since 1968.

Ken KC8Y 

AD9DX

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2013, 05:45:35 PM »

I like the lambic far better at faster speeds. Squeezing is to my style of sending far faster. I had a really bad experience with a Vibroplex paddle, so I won't own another. Look at kent keys before you drop a $100 on a name.

Also if you have friends that are hams, try their keys first.

EX, KC9TRM, KB9IRZ
K2DFC

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2013, 06:04:22 AM »

I have two Vibrokeyers. I wouldn't use anything else. I have no problem doing 25 - 30 WPM with them. I never got the hang of the Iambic, squeeze keyer paddle. And I've been doing CW since 1967.

Fred K2DFC
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: