Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Which Transceiver - Kenwood 480HX or Icom 7200  (Read 6702 times)
WD4ELG

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2013, 06:53:57 PM »

I had the 520S for 25 years.  When I got the 480 I could not believe the difference.  Amazing improvement in receiver capability and technology.
M6YDB

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2013, 02:20:22 AM »

Thanks again all

Having looked a bit further my thinking has changed again!

Think I will go with the KW 480SAT and buy a decent vertical (only have a dipole up at the moment).

Can fit that within the same budget as just a KW 590S and I would rather have a good rig with a good dipole AND vert than just a really good rig and the one antenna.

They hold their value so well anyway if I decide to trade up in the future I won't lose much if I decide to move the 480SAT on.

Thank again - really helpful advice...
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2013, 05:22:59 AM »

I have played the 590 and 480 side by side and there is a not a big difference between them. With a optional SSB and CW filter installed the  480 has a very tight bandpass too. Myself I never paid a 480 much attention until I first played with one over 4 years ago. I was impressed.

--------------------------------------
Entered using a  WiFi Win 8.1 RT tablet or a Android tablet using 4G/LTE or WiFi.
WD4ELG

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2013, 08:07:34 AM »

Don't forget to put down a ton of radials for the vertical.
AI4HO

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: November 02, 2013, 08:31:16 PM »

I have a friend in Michigan who has the 7200, he sounds way better on the 7200 than he ever did on his IC-7000.  That said, I have been using the Kenwood TS-480HX for several years mobile, and before that a different TS-480HX as a base rig.  Hey 200 watts, is 200 watts, not always enough, but sometimes more than enough.  I really like my 480HX, as a mobile rig, which is what it was designed for in the first place.  But, over the years, this rig has really shined as a base rig as well, hence the MB-480, which puts the face plate close to the rigs base, giving the illusion that it is all one piece.  I really enjoyed my first TS-480HX when I had it as my base station, the TS-480HX and my GAP Challenger vertical and my GAP Titan vertical, worked the country of Ghana with my trusty TS-480HX and my GAP Titan on Easter Sunday 2005.  I have worked stations with my 200 watts and a vertical antenna that at times has astounded me.."like..I just worked so and so...wow"!

I can't think of any other rig either base or mobile besides maybe the big Yaesu FT-MP5 series rigs.  But they are HUGE, the TS-480HX doesn't take up much room at all, heck, all you really have showing if you want is the faceplate, the rigs base can be under the table, inside a desk cubby hole.  Mine, I had one side of my desk that was basically a big empty hole, covered by a door.  I set the rigs base there, ran the control cables up through a hole in the top of the desk, it was sweet, had my stock mic at the time and all was good.  Sometimes here lately, I think I use my 480HX mobile more than I do my prized IC-756 ProIII, a rig I doubt I will ever give up...like my TS-480HX.

The only downside, if you can call it that, is the fact that the TS-480HX while it is 200 watts, does not have an internal tuner, you will unless your antenna(s) are resonate.  Which is why I had either the GAP Challenger or GAP Titan verticals, or a wire cut to the frequency I needed or wanted.  That said, I did at one time have an off center fed antenna and then a G5RV.  In which case if your antennas are non resonate you will need a decent tuner, either a good auto tuner. I have used more than a couple auto tuners, my personal preference is the LDG line, I believe they make a couple different models that will interface with the TS-480HX.  I may be biased, but money lies with the TS-480HX, good luck, hope ta work ya, either base or mobile.

The TS-480SAT is an excellent choice, it has the internal tuner, you are already familiar with the Kenwood name, I think you will really enjoy the 480SAT.  If I were looking and only had a certain amount, I would probably go with the 480SAT, and either a GAP Challenger or Titan vertical.  The Hustler is another choice for a decent vertical forget about 75/80 meters with the Hustler, at least in my experience it is extremely narrow banded.  Best of luck, in with the TS-SAT, still hope to work you, maybe in the mobile.

73 de Mark
AI4HO
« Last Edit: November 02, 2013, 08:39:38 PM by W3LZK » Logged
G0CVL

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: November 05, 2013, 02:38:48 PM »

Urrrm, the BIG difference of course is that the TS480 sat, whilst a worthy and fine rig, is using AF dsp, whilst the 7200 some ten years younger, is using modern I.F. dsp.
If you want to install the filter in the 480, it does improve it, but it CANNOT compete in terms of close signal handling, or rmd3 figures.
Progress is a wonderful thing (sometimes !)
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: November 05, 2013, 05:15:25 PM »

Urrrm, the BIG difference of course is that the TS480 sat, whilst a worthy and fine rig, is using AF dsp, whilst the 7200 some ten years younger, is using modern I.F. dsp.
If you want to install the filter in the 480, it does improve it, but it CANNOT compete in terms of close signal handling, or rmd3 figures.
Progress is a wonderful thing (sometimes !)

Have you used a 480 with optional filters? I have and they have very steep/tight skirts and it is tighter and better sounding than a 10 year old IF DSP. Your right about one thing, progress, ie IF DSP's presence does not always mean cutting edge performance.

--------------------------------------
Entered using a  WiFi Win 8.1 RT tablet or a Android tablet using 4G/LTE or WiFi.
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: