Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 2013 Es Season: How has it been where youre at?  (Read 4634 times)
W3HKK

Ignore
« on: July 10, 2013, 05:01:25 PM »

Here in Ohio, Id say  May was  well below average. June had a few good openings but was also below average.

The last week of June, however, and  1st week of July were  average or  above average.  This particular week corresponds to the   long term peak in terms of # of openings. So we are now on the downslope. Let's hope for a strong finish

N6ORB

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2013, 10:08:17 PM »

I suppose I should go back to my logs and do a statistical analyis, but I would say offhand that this has probably been my poorest summer on 6M going back to 2006. Double-hop to the east coast from northern California has been well below what I've seen in earlier years. The June contest didn't produce any double-hop openings here near San Francisco.

I started the year at 388 grids confirmed and thought it would be easy to reach 400. To date, I still have four more to go and I'm not sure I'll get there.

The sun has been quite active and that seems to have roiled the e-layer. Although the guys in high latitudes have been having fun with the auroras, DXMaps has shown the band to be dead then farther south.

Anyway, there's still another month left in the season. Let's hope for a few big openings to salvage it for us.

Dave, N6ORB
WB8VLC

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2013, 10:14:09 PM »

3 or 4 japan on a nice opening the 4th, about the same kl7's a week prior then one ve2, ve9, and back in may one tep opening to argentina and chile and only 1 good FM opening. Usually I have twenty times these contacts, so this is the worst that I have experienced in 27 years.

All on 6 meters, zilch on 2 meters and above
« Last Edit: July 10, 2013, 10:17:18 PM by WB8VLC » Logged
W3HKK

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2013, 05:10:01 AM »

Interesting.

I watch the spots and often see many  going overhead from East Coast to  Midwest, or to  the Southeast.  Been seeing many openings from CA to WA/BC here of late. Earlier in the year the guys along the    Gulf Coast seemed to have a picnic working into  the Carrib, Central America and South America.

Got lucky a month ago and saw a spot from LU at around 7pm local EDST. I tuned to the frequency and heard an accent saying QRZ.  And worked him TE on the 2nd call, with 100w to  5 elements at 15 ft.  Also worked  CT a week ago at around 8 am. And lately there has been a pipeline into VE1 and VE2 land plus New England at around 8-10pm.

I saw spots for JA but never heard one.  DItto KL7. Not many  Carribs or  other DX to the South and minimal Europe have made it into central Ohio this year.. 
AD9DX

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2013, 07:02:47 AM »

Much better last year. I haven't been able to get the west coast at all this year.

I am not using a beam.

EX, KC9TRM, KB9IRZ
KA3NXN

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2013, 12:29:16 PM »

Sometimes I wonder if my coax is even hooked up to my rig its so bad.  Huh

Stamp collecting anyone?

Jaime-KA3NXN
W1VT

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2013, 05:36:06 PM »

I put up a 2 element Yagi at 15 feet last winter-I found out that I shouldn't have bothered--it is NEVER any better for double hop E skip than my 40M dipole at 40 feet.  The only DX I worked on it was a YV5.  With the 40M dipole  I've worked DM69, DM41, CM97, EA8, 9Y4, VP2V, and FG5--I'm up to 12 countries on 6M.

Zack W1VT

W7AIT

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2013, 03:58:25 PM »

Just awful here at W7AIT!  Worst in years.
W3HKK

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2013, 05:06:40 PM »

Been pretty good so far in July, thank heavens.  About 100 qsos this month  from CT1, many VE's, out to  VE7 and a few  down the Pacific Coast ( though not many. ) Many 1-2-4-5-0 stations worked   AZ-NM-CO-ND=SD-TX and closer have been loud, with sigs   59+, up to 30 over.

The 2 el yagi problem noted on here is  a surprise.  Many nice 3 el signals have been received here. And prior to  last summer, my 5 el yagi  was at 5 ft and worked  most states, 10 EUs and about 20 Carrib and SA stations.  It's been at 15 ft for the past summer and a alf.

The club  station WW8OH will be in the CQWW VHF Test this weekend hoping for some decent Es to make up for the terrible ARRL VHF Contest weekend conditions.   100w to  an M2 5 el agi at 51 ft + 100w to an 11 el  yagi at 56 ft from central Ohio. Hope to hear some of you on.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: