Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: POCSAG Pager Encoder and Transmitter  (Read 26422 times)
KG4RUL

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2013, 04:53:43 AM »

There is a fly in the udder ointment.  IF you are sending messages related to the running of your farm operations, you cannot use Amateur Radio frequencies.  A message like "the disc harrow is broken" is not acceptable while a message like "lunch is ready" is OK.
KE5YUU

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2013, 11:23:06 AM »

I agree on the type of message being transmitted.  Same type of comms that we would normally do when using ham frequencies and HT to HT units.  I will need to test, but hopefully we I can accomplish 2-way messaging. 
W9GB

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2013, 08:47:58 AM »

In the 1970s, when pagers were more common (and cell phones were in R&D labs), a few radio amateur clubs looked at POCSAG to alert amateur radio WX and severe weather/tornado spotters (NWS VHF broadcast stations were just starting construction).

At that time, as I remember, FCC said NO.  
Support from St. Louis and Peoria NWS did not help to change FCC opinion/decision (Part 97.111(b)).  It was not considered emergency communications.
Since the 1970s, the FCC has been more specific in the types of one-way communications permitted.

Kantronics offered a POCSAG solution, for a short period of time.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2013, 08:52:44 AM by W9GB » Logged
KB1HOV

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2013, 07:25:05 PM »

can anyone help me out, im good with this stuff but i have been out of the loop for a long time. i have been dieing to built something like this for fun.im having issues with figuring everything out. can anyone help me with a parts list or contact the guy that posted it.
W6RMK

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2013, 02:31:20 PM »

ALl the talk of legalities..
This isn't much different than APRS. Lots of transmit only APRS stations out there. Lots of people (control operators) putting a APRS pod onto something being operated by a non-licensed person (or even totally automated: balloon payloads).  The theory is that there's no requirement for the control operator to be physically next to the transmitter (otherwise, how to run a repeater), and it turns out there's no requirement for a particular response time from the control operator. If officialdom says "turn it off", the control op has to be able to do so, but there's no "control shall have a maximum latency of 10 millisecond" kind of rules.

I think ultimately it comes down to the basic "rude rule".  If you are inconsiderate or rude, then you're breaking some rule.  If you do something, and nobody complains, you're probably legal.
KE5YUU

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: September 28, 2014, 01:24:54 PM »

Anyone still interested should look at the following project:  http://www.t4f.org/projects/osomcom-pocsag/   
K9YLI

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: October 03, 2014, 07:32:26 AM »

no one has mentioned it but since  you would not be responding,  would this be  considered  'broadcasting'' ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,  one way..

also i  you can carry  a pager  why not just a small  HT.
and or like lthe  pros  do.. used the pager tones on simplex  and  tie  the radio to the  horn so if the squelch breaks  the horn blows on the truck.

ok so i didnt read  page  2....(modify)

as stated that this is to be  'built'  then   only usable on  ham bands as its would not be  'certified'

« Last Edit: October 03, 2014, 07:36:34 AM by K9YLI » Logged
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: