Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Diamond HV7A on pickup stake pocket mount  (Read 2036 times)
KF5UYG

Ignore
« on: July 12, 2013, 09:25:25 PM »

I am looking to mount my Yaesu 857D in my Ram 1500 pickup and am trying to find a good antenna for 10m/6m/2m/70cm.  I know that a roof mount antenna would be the best option, but I will be in and out of my home garage and the parking garage at work.

Has anyone had experience with the Diamond HV7A mounted on a stake pocket mount either right behind the cab or at the back of the bed?  Is there another antenna that would be recommended?

I am a new ham and any advice is appreciated.

Thanks,
James, KF5UYG
AC4RD

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2013, 09:36:26 AM »

James, I'm no expert and the best advice I can offer is to spend a while on www.k0bg.com; it's a fantastic guide for newcomers to mobile operating.

I might suggest that you not look for one antenna for all four bands.  My car setup has a simple dualband for 2m/440, a bumper mount for HF (20-10), and on a secondary mount right now, a 6m quarterwave.  (I don't know why I bother; 6m is rarely open to anywhere when I'm in the car and there is nobody on the local 6m FM repeaters.)

It means more mounts, but using different antennas for HF and VHF/UHF will give you a lot more flexibility in what antennas you can use ....  JMHO, of course, YMMV.

Good luck and 73!  --ken ac4rd
N6AJR

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2013, 11:21:07 AM »

I have 8 antennas and 5 radios in my pick up. but for the FT 857 there is one antenna you might want to look at.  the yaesu ATAS 120a.  It is made to match the  857 and tunes fro 2m /440 through 40 meters, automatically with the push of 1 button.  I agree that it is not the best antenna in the world as compared to a Hi gain screwdrive or a DK 3 or other full sized antenna, but it does autotune and you can drill a 1/2 inch hole in the bed rail, and with a couple of large washers and a 2 inch pass through gizmo ( like a pl 259 to pl 259 barrel, but threaded all the way down) and you are in business. like I say, not the best  antenna in the world, but the most convenient with a yaesu ft 857 d, and mount it in the back corner , drivers side of the bed next to the tailgate. its out of the way, gets out well from there, and you can see it in the rear view for clearance problems.
N6AJR

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2013, 11:35:12 AM »

That gizmo is called a double female bulkhead mount and the run 5 bucks or so.
AC4RD

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2013, 03:26:36 PM »

That gizmo is called a double female bulkhead mount and the run 5 bucks or so.

Those are great gadgets--I've bought a bunch of 'em from High Sierra Online (www.hamcq or something like that.)  The longer ones are a great alternative to window passthroughs for antennas at home, going through the walls. 

And I've got admit, my advice about using multiple antennas seemed good at the time, but a one-antenna solution like that ATAS obviously makes a lot of sense for a lot of coverage with a minimum of hardware.  Smiley
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: